Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 332 total)
  • Storm Arwen – anyone affected?
  • Drac

Some sad news overnight, Twin Pines Mall has been renamed to Lone Pine Mall.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Completely knocked out local transport infrastructure down here.

Also had no power overnight from 6:30 yesterday and it knocked all the traffic signals out on the A33/M4 around Reading.

spekkie
    Free Member

I believe the storm bought this to us…. and I was just about to pop up there as well!

null

Drac

Nice.

tjagain

Mate of mine had a huge tree come down just missing his house but smashing a car and blocking his driveway – I’m going there tomorrow to help him clear it

militantmandy
    Free Member

Trails in the Tweed Valley have taken an absolute kicking. Many are destroyed or badly damaged. Forestry has said all hills are closed as no access for emergency vehicles. Will likely take weeks/months to sort. Local bike shop organising volunteers, but weather stopped play today.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Parents now on 2nd night without power.

Elec company rang them 11am this morning to say they were arranging hotel accommodation, they still are waiting

Drac

My parents had power for a few hours earlier, seems to be off again but still no water.

ElShalimo

These conifers in Glen Ogle were snapped in half by 100+ mph winds from Storm Friedhelm (or Hurricane Bawbag) in December 2011

I was up there a few weeks later and the damage was scarily  impressive

northernremedy

Power just come back on, 42 hours. North Yorkshire.

Super chuffed they’ve managed to get it back but comms from northern Powergrid been non existent. One look at the outage map suggests why though!!!

pothead
    Free Member

Hearing trails across North East England badly hit, Chopwell and Thrunton particularly bad. A few lads I know been out 2day and found NO rideable trails at either, whole blocks of trees down like skittles and as a lot were unofficial I fear they’re gone for good. Sad times if its as bad as they say

northernsoul

comms from northern Powergrid been non existent

We had 2 emails from Norther Powergrid yesterday – presumably because they have our email address from our supplier (I’ve never signed up for anything directly with them). Of course, had we been affected by power cuts (near Durham – we’ve been lucky, other nearby villages haven’t) I probably wouldn’t have seen them until Monday…

benpinnick

This time with a photo…

Now the power has dropped in voltage so only the lower voltage stuff is working. Alas that means not the boiler / CH and most of the lights are LED that don’t like the voltage drop. You can tell the more expensive ones though as they’re making a fist of it, the cheaper LEDs are not having it at all though.

Drac

All of North Northumberland has no power, water or communications. Those that do are on low power and it drops out. We still have some at home.

I’ve been allocating staff to work from home as we’ve bases that have no power or water. I’m trying to get water and hot drinks to the most rural bases. I’ve driven through whole wooded areas wiped out, roads with literally hundreds of trees still partially blocking the roads, It’s snowed and frozen over, roads are lethal

Stay safe folks

ElShalimo

I hope you guys who were expecting power to be restored last night are okay.

gobuchul
    Free Member

All of North Northumberland has no power, water or communications. Those that do are on low power and it drops out. We still have some at home.

Really? What are you calling North Northumberland?

I’m in Seahouses and power was partly restored on Saturday, fully restored yesterday.

Mobiles were patchy yesterday but seem fine now.

Internet was back up Saturday.

Alnwick was back up Saturday morning.

benpinnick

I would say you’re all East Northumberland, as a casual NE observer relatively new to the area 😉

Scapegoat

I hope you guys who were expecting power to be restored last night are okay.

Struggling on. 😀

Had Sunday dinner at the Scapehouse and it was like a community refugee centre! They’ve promised to open at 10 this morning and told us we can all take stuff that needs charging. Several of our neighbours are now booked into the Pennine Manor, and tell us half the village is staying there.

We’re still ok, gas hob means we can get a hot drink.

Updates from Northern Powergrid are a joke.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Trees were knocked down like skittles along Deeside. Photo was taken near Drumoak.”

@aberdeenlune
    Not far from there – at the RJS helipad the entire woodland area has been removed. like ALL of it entirely flat.

Marin
    Free Member

40 of us sat down in the Old Dungeon Ghyll for a 3 course meal by candle light as Llangdale Valley lost all power. Luckily my van ashtray was full of change so could still go to the bar for a drink. Well done to the staff.

Drac

Really? What are you calling North Northumberland?

I’m in Seahouses and power was partly restored on Saturday, fully restored yesterday.

Mobiles were patchy yesterday but seem fine now.

Internet was back up Saturday.

Alnwick was back up Saturday morning.

`Rothbury, Harbottle, Wooler, Ellingham, Belford, Beal, Chatton and Berwick areas.

Alnwick wasn’t effected much at all just short outages. I’ve spent 3 nights driving across those patches, with no mobile or very little mobile coverage. Airwaves has been off it vast areas of those places, the power even when on has been low. So, water stations have struggled to provide pressure, 3 phase supplies haven’t worked too well either.

Some of those areas have been told it may be a day or two yet. Driving back from Berwick around 4 am I could see villages starting to come back on. It was rather nice in some ways when they were off as you could see so many stars.

https://www.northernpowergrid.com/power-cuts

johndoh
    Free Member

Power just come back on, 42 hours. North Yorkshire.

Where is that? I have been getting status updates from PowerGrid all weekend telling me when my service would be restored although it hasn’t been off (Pannal Ash in Harrogate). I do know some people further out of town on the Skipton Road had issues though.

richmtb

There are more important things than trails when folk are still struggling with power etc but most of the trails in southern Scotland are currently closed.

7Stanes Post

Drumlanrig – Trail Closures & Diversions- Please Read

29.11.2021 Sadly the trails and walks have been seriously affected by Storm Arwen. We are currently assessing the damage and we ask that you allow us to do so and avoid them for the time being. We hope to be able to update later in the week.

clubby

Our power came back up last night, half an hour before we arrived home from sisters. House was taking ages to reheat though. Back at work and totally exhausted after two draining days. Could be worse, friends in Stonehaven had their third night with no power last night.

northernremedy

@johndoe just north of Richmond. I know Swaledale, Thwaite way is still off.

Drac

Turns out still some streets in Alnwick still with no electric. Schools, pubs and cafes are offering out services including showers.

matt_outandabout

Callander – both schools closed, emergency shelter in the primary, no power. Friends being told it might be midweek before power is back on.

These conifers in Glen Ogle were snapped in half by 100+ mph winds from Storm Friedhelm (or Hurricane Bawbag) in December 2011

We stayed in Killin – I was at work on Loch Tay south shore. We gathered all staff in the main building and hunkered down. I have never heard wind like it. We then watched skittles as the big trees at work came down outside the window. And by big, some were 1.5m across the trunk. It was 20 seconds from standing to 18 trees down, in one gust.

IIRC, it wasn’t highest windspeed but it was the sustained 100mph wind that was the factor that day.

A few weeks later:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bewxZH]DSCN0015[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

IdleJon

It’s been on the news for days, with the normal drama, then it went to yellow and then red yesterday morning. Loads of reports saying do not travel, keep away from the sea and stay at home. You’ve done exceptionally well to miss it.

I don’t know. A lot of people simply don’t watch TV or listen to radio, and there’s not a lot else in the way of reliable local news. The local rags are mainly junk and covid has dominated national newspaper headlines.

Just going back to the comments about why people didn’t pay attention to the weather..

Is it maybe because there are now regular weather warnings about weather that is just wet and windy – amber and yellow warnings, and fairly innocuous storms are named. Maybe people aren’t paying attention to the stuff they should notice because weather forecasts are so regularly doom-laden? A sort of warning fatigue, or maybe crying wolf?

GEDA
    Free Member

Just back in Sweden from Rothbury area. Driving out was terrible. Roads were sheet ice and just managed to get out via Newton on the moor. Sliding into the verge and slipping all over the place. Amazed I got to Edinburgh. Power and mobile signal came back on Sunday at 11.30. Spent two days having whiskey parties by candlelight with the family. House roof full of holes and trees down everywhere. Water out so needed to fetch water for the cows with a loader bucket.

Drac

Maybe people aren’t paying attention to the stuff they should notice because weather forecasts are so regularly doom-laden? A sort of warning fatigue, or maybe crying wolf?

Yeah I believe that probably contributes to it.

@Geda
    roads were interesting with the frozen snow.

bajsyckel

Know of plenty of folk still with no power/water/phones since Friday night and have a steady cycle of washing/charging things/etc for them at ours currently. I suspect that several will be off a while yet judging by the numbers affected. At least if you’ve got a woodburner or calor gas you can get a hot water bottle filled and cook something but there are some people with neither – pretty tedious for them no doubt, and worse for old folk and those with young kids.

Drac

Yeah still loads of villages and towns off line, could be a few days yet for them.

matt_outandabout

Apparently well over 20,000 without power in Scotland still, some remote places being told end of the week…

dave661350

Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, half the village unaffected, half without power. We were without for about 42 hours. Others are still without. Comms from Northern Powergrid were sketchy. At pretty much the same time on a snowy, frigid but still Sunday afternoob…I was chatting to one of the many guys working away up cherry pickers, diggers etc… while a neighbour was speaking to someone at Northern Powergrid about when the power was due back on. She was told that; as it still so windy, the engineers couldn’t start work so please be patient…..they had been busy for the past 5 hours.The wind had died down many hours earlier.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Apparently well over 20,000 without power in Scotland still, some remote places being told end of the week…

id believe that – lotta remote houses round here out.

MY generator is out with friends and so is my camping stove and we have the SIL and dog living with us.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

These companies are not really set up to respond to events like this though, are they? bills would be even higher than they are now if we had these guys sitting around for the 350 odd days a year that they wouldn’t be required.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its all hands on deck family member is Risk assessment for renewables and being drafted into distribution –

like wise a buddy is project management for substation replacement – hes been doing 18 hour days on surveying lines ( read walking the lines)

We had a lad walking the lines near us on saturday who clearly was used to driving a desk.

They are rediverting resource as far as Risk lets them to get everyone back going from what i can see.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Force 7/30 kt winds forecast for tomorrow around here.

That will probably finish off some of the already damaged chimneys and roofs.

Scapegoat

Power restored 4.30 pm yesterday (Monday) so all’s well etc.

Watched the guys in the cherry picker across the moorland from us as I was walking the dog, and headed home in eager anticipation.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 332 total)

The topic ‘Storm Arwen – anyone affected?’ is closed to new replies.