Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 332 total)
  • Storm Arwen – anyone affected?
  • matt_outandabout

Power off in Dunblane for an hour.

Trees cracking is normal for a November day in Killin. I still remember the day my mother in law stood at the window overlooking the Dochart falls wondering how rain went sideways…

onewheelgood

Warwick market is cancelled tomorrow.

shinton
    Free Member

Power just gone off in CH3 (Delamere) should be back around 11.

beamers

Plenty of power cuts in the the NE of Scotland:

More details on the SSEN website here:

https://powertrack.ssen.co.uk/powertrack

dyna-ti

Nothing here in Glasgow as yet, though sometimes these storms don’t hit till very late at night or early morning.

clubby

No power just outside Carnoustie since 5. Had to go to sisters in Arbroath to cook the wee man his tea. Loads of trees down on drive home. Couple near misses with last minute spots. Had to double back at one point as road blocked.
    Currently drinking a nice red by candlelight using the last of my wife’s phone battery to play some chill out music.
    Hopefully back on my morning or it’ll be out with the camping stove to cook the bacon.

sparksmcguff

Ended up haring around the westhill Costco car park chasing an optimistic ladies newly purchased sledges as they wafted through the cars this afternoon.

Yeah it’s been pretty windy in Aberdeen today. And someone is going to have some fire wood tomorrow.

teethgrinder

Windy. Sleet. Cold AF.

So went out for ride 258-in-a-row. Not missing out just because it’s a bit blowy.

Then when I was out, the helmet light was more a hindrance than a help (thick going to light speed in the Millennium Falcon).

Then it thundered and lightninged. Didn’t fancy getting twatted on the heed with lightning so rode home a bit quick.

benpinnick

Couple of CM of snow, plenty of wind and no power. Just abouther winter’s day on the edge of the north Pennines.

teethgrinder

That just sounds like a Consett summer

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not too bad here in Southampton but I suspect a few leaves will be blown around over night.

benpinnick

@teethgrinder that’s correct. Standard weather for us.

bsims
    Free Member

Driven rain is dancing the fandango on my windows, but worst is to reach us here in the Midlands early morning and we won’t get the worst of it.

tjagain

Judging by the sounds I think my weekend will be spent on roof repairs!  Very noisy over the roof now

Very blowy and wet in the Derbyshire Dales

PiknMix
    Free Member

Well that was poo in my pants scary, narrowly missed a tree falling on my wee Panda on the A85. A couple are down Gannochy way too (and an absolute hero with a chainsaw clearing the road).

Stay safe people, it’s really quite dangerous out there.

MrOvershoot

shinton

Power just gone off in CH3 (Delamere) should be back around 11.

CH64 here. Just been called into work in Liverpool, PLC’s have dipped 3 times due to power surges.

End of March can’t come soon enough (thread to follow sometime)

martdg99
    Free Member

Forest Of Dean is closing tomorrow because of the high winds.

frankconway

overshoot – that suggests impending retirement or some other exit plan.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just home from MRT training at Clenrie on SUW @somafunk, it is indeed wild down your way!. Not so bad in Ayrshire tbh.

dyna-ti

The last big windy storm in Glasgow about 15 or so years ago we were driving along the A724 coming back from Blantyre when we were overtaken by a large table.

robola

I got an email from my house insurance company mid afternoon today advising me to check my roof tiles, gutters and fascias were all in good order. A tad late for that don’t you think 😀

bruk

Bloody windy and coming from a bit of a different direction tonight. Power went out earlier and not expected back on till 4pm in Cheshire.

May have felt happy with having electric car when there was a fuel shortage but the planned overnight charge doesn’t look promising! Thankfully not in work or on call tonight!

matt_outandabout

I’m listening to the sound of a couple of chainsaws down the road.

CountZero

A bit gusty around the chimney vent, and I can hear some light rain against the front windows. According to Dark Skies, it’s gusting to 47mph in this area, and it’ll be gusting to 50 in the early hours.

That’s north Wiltshire, btw. Up on the downs from Cherhill on towards Avebury it should be good kite flying weather…

grum
    Free Member

Pretty scary in Arnside in S Cumbria but no damage so far. Trampoline in the garden hasn’t taken off yet 😳

Have read on local FB group of glass patio furniture sailing away and smashing into pieces.

warton
    Free Member

Our back gates have been ripped off in Whitley bay. They were due to be replaced by a wall this month, so not the end of the world. It’s wild at the moment. The gusts are picking empty bins up. Few cars damaged because of this.

tallb0y
    Free Member

Wide awake in windy Worcestershire! The windows aren’t liking it and I think our worst is yet to come, perhaps in the next couple of hours. Don’t envy any of you up North and in coastal parts. Stay safe!

Mintyjim

Wide awake too in very windy Ceredigion. We’re just by the beach and the wind is tremendous!
    Both kids have been up for obvious reasons.
    Saw on the news that some wallys were rowing over from Ireland and capsized 12 miles off Aberystwyth.
    Good luck to everyone effected.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I’m trying to save the car sills from rusting and from failing the mot in Jan. Got it up on ramps (outside, no garage) got the holes filled yesterday, and the bare metal treated with rust convertor.

Was praying it would be dry and bright and still again today so I could tape it up in newspaper and rattle-spray the sills while the rust is monentarily suppressed

HahahahhHAHAHAHAHAHhahahaaHORIZONTALSLEEThahahahahahahahtorrentsofrainWINDHELLhahahaha. Ha.

stox
    Free Member

Well I’m in Middlesbrough and there’s zero chance I’d be getting any Kip that’s for sure. Can’t settle when it’s like this outside.
    Can’t remember knowing wind like this and we’ve had done tremendous thunder rumbles.

We’re supposed to be driving to Milton Keynes in the morning to meet family for a Xmas lunch. I’m really concerned that that isn’t sounding like such a good idea especially with two kids in the car

fazzini

overlooking the Dochart falls

One of favourite childhood memories was visiting the Falls of Dochart and seeing the raging torrent as it was. Will always be the Coca Cola waters to me

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Up anyway as doing the night feed and nappy change. But looked out to see our whole garden fence down plus a rather large ash tree down on our track. Balls. I’ve been putting off filling the Jerry can so will have to beg some fuel off our neighbours for the chainsaw.
    Now I’m awake, I may as well grab a cuppa and play Xbox.

Houns

I’m off into work to see what damage has been done, luckily no snow, yet

Drac

**** horrendous night and too many **** driving around unnecessarily.

Winds hit 98mph near here.

escrs
    Free Member

Little bit windy here in Portsmouth

Next door’s garden waste wheelie bin is blowing around the private road and i bet one of the other neighbours fencing will all be down (it falls down everytime we have 30mph + wind)

My brother is just setting off to drive from Portsmouth to Scotland to help fix the power outages as he works for Southern Scottish Electric and when things like this happen they have to go up and help

Onzadog
    Free Member

@escrs What does your brother do {linesma/SAP etc)? Was just talking to the Mrs about whether or not they’re likely to ask for assistance from other DNOs

dreednya

Powers out in my bit of SY23 and been messaged to say leccy will be back on by 16:00 today, but I can see the twinkly lights of Aberystwyth in the distance so they still have power. Soon be time to get the jetboil out and as it gets light I can turn my Hope HID off. Luckily my sourdough has just finished rising and is now in for its 24 hour stint in the fridge.(I know new world problems!). It is still dark so can’t see any damage, but the concrete tiles on the roof were rumblng and banging through the night so might expect some to have moved and I expect our garden furniture is now our neighbours!

escrs
    Free Member

@Onzadog

Ive no idea, he used to work up on the power lines for the last 30 years but recently switched to ground work

It seems at least once a year he gets called to go up to Scotland, he loves the money but not the drive!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Few trees down locally and one of our friends has lost their fence and part of their roof. Had a bit of a sleepless night as we have some kingspan insulation that rattles above our bedroom when the wind gets a bit lairy.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 332 total)

The topic ‘Storm Arwen – anyone affected?’ is closed to new replies.