• This topic has 803 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by SnS.
Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 804 total)
  • Stopping smoking!!
  • scuzz
    Free Member

I’m on Day 10.
    Getting strong cravings every so often, but managed to get through them with smug self satisfaction. Could actually smell some wine I had last night!
    I can now run up stairs without my heart racing and can watch people smoking on TV without it entering my mind… then I realise I’ve managed that which counts as it entering your mind!
    Funny business. We’ll see how I handle a proper night out soon…

morgs
    Free Member

I am now a smoker…………and all i have are excuses not reasons (loss of friend, work stress etc etc)

I have the NHS Quit Kit at home waiting for me. And I will tell my partner to hold off on the, erm…. “treats” if I have a smoke.

Now, if that isn’t motivation…..

So, smoke free part deux will start soon

hora
    Free Member

Keep at it. I was the same, tried, failed, tried failed (with patches, gum etc) then I had a moment of long courage (and Orange Juice).

I will admit that I started smoking cigars afterwards- got bored of them though.

binners

*looks sheepish*

I’ve not done good. I’ve succumbed! 😳 I’ve also no excuses! Only my pathetic lack of will power. Self loathing all present and correct

I’ve not been full blooded smoking like i was before. And I’m lining up for packing in Friday Night and seeing if I can make it through christmas. Might enlist some help this time. I want my AWSOMENESS back!

hora
    Free Member

You’ll get the binners. The key is to dust off and get back up again. Once you have it in your mind that you resent cigs and see them as a pain you’re halfway there.

One of the key triggers to pulling a cig out is ‘I’m stressed, neg thing happened today so I deserve one to calm me down’.

camo16
    Free Member

@ Morgs and Binners

Positive vibes * Positive vibes * Positive vibes * * Positive vibes * Positive vibes * Positive vibes * Positive vibes *

Feelin’ it yet?

After a few weak moments – caused by stress, over-work etc. etc. etc, aka the usual excuses – I’m ready for Awesomeness again! On the occasions I’ve succumbed, it’s only been a couple per day, so I reckon it shouldn’t be as hard this time…

One of the key triggers to pulling a cig out is ‘I’m stressed, neg thing happened today so I deserve one to calm me down’.

Hora, you speak wise words

Getting rid of this trigger, permanently, would be great…

Muchos respecto to Khani, Scuzz and LoCo. You guys rock!

LoCo
    Free Member

Still no smokes here 😀

camo16
    Free Member

Might enlist some help this time.

What kind of help, binners?

* feels inadequate *

A TJ tonguing, perhaps?

hora
    Free Member

Getting rid of this trigger, permanently, would be great…

Thing is the trigger threshold gets set lower and lower…

For instance it could simply be you have a cross word with the missus over who should watch Eastenders or another channel. She wins, you slope out and think ‘**** this too much bloody stress nowadays’.

Or a simple task like a longer than usual commute.

When you’ve finally quit you simply come into work and say ‘bugger that was a nightmare! and laugh or sigh’.

If you are struggling to quit you think your nerves are frayed, the worlds a hard place, life is existing not about living etc etc. The withdrawal symptoms make you tetchy but also it tricks you that you are fragile and you are a bloody pessimist…

khani
    Free Member

One of these saved me, as much for the habit as the nicotine, something to twiddle and suck on really helped..

fenred
    Free Member

Just bumping this thread back up to where it should be. Was a great place to be a few weeks back but the awesome seems to have nose-dived 😥

Are the n/smokers still polishing their halo’s? Anyone fallen off the wagon and planning the next ‘great escape’?

I’ve been a naughty boy but determined not to apply the New Year empty promise tactic. Having witnessed Khani sucking on the plastic tampon applicator therapy thing I’ve decided to buy one and at £22 for a kit it’s deffo cheaper to smoke, plus you look sligtly less deranged but I’m going in for the kill…If you can make it through the festive bullshit period without a smoke, you’re halfway to the win.

So what’s everyone’s story? ❓

tjr666
    Free Member

Not posted in this thread for a while due to working like a dog, but currently on day ten of no ciggies, have the very odd craving, but nothing to write home about. Overall pretty positive, feels a hell of a lot better when out on the bike as well, noticing the difference big time! Still proper unfit though, had to get of a push a couple of times on a climb I could do no problems at all only a few months back. Winter will be a time to shed the lb’s I think instead of piling it on, come out the other side chomping at the bit…this is the plan anyway.

khani
    Free Member

Still franticly Sucking chewing away on my twiddly thing now and then…it’s getting better 😀
    It’s a nasty and insidious foe though…… 👿

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Complete failure here – but that’s how I’ve been feeling about my life the last few weeks 🙁
    I really ought to try again – maybe I need something to twiddle and suck on?

huws
    Free Member

Nearly a month off for me now. 2 failures, one was a boozy night in the pub and the other was a 3 day office christmas party bender. 5 packs that weekend 😳

Not going too badly now, although without the patches I become quite crotchety.

Keep up the awesome people.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

day 16 for me, smoked a drag while out for a pint with my mate earlier and it was minging 🙂 chuffed with that.

camo16
    Free Member

Not doing too bad.

After five weeks of non smoking I had a momentperiod of crappy weakness… but hopefully that’s over now. Been smoke-free for a while, but I’m not feeling the awesomeness yet. Dammit, I’m not even feeling self-righteous anymore when I see smokers huddling in doorways. 😳

Great to hear that Khani, tjr666, huws and jonah tonto are fighting the good fight.

It’s nice to see this thread back, too. 🙂

willard

I’m on day 8 now, and the Champix is still working for me, although the sickness, constipation, wind and interrupted sleep is a bit of a downer. my two week review with the doc went well, but their suggestion to halve the dose to relieve some of the symptoms just would not fly.

However, 8 days and not wanting a smoke is good and I am determined to make a go of it. Got a mini-break in Munich coming up and so I will be a non-smoker in two different countries.

Note to self: Also saved about 40 quid so far…

bland

After a weekender away riding a few weeks back and feeling shit, having a 1 year old with another on the way and then reading this i had the motivation to give it a good old go, that and being off work for a bit which is a sod for having a fag.

Anyhow bought 4 packs of sticky plaster things, used one and not had a fag since, been about 2 1/2 weeks now and feeling loads better for it. I haven’t read his thread other than a few first posts but glad i did as it gave me the motivation to knock it on the head!

morgs
    Free Member

time to get this one started again?

Who’s with me?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Day 8 🙂

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Do it Morgs 🙂

I have it on good authority that my er, “gentleman juice” tastes much better now I don’t smoke.

fenred
    Free Member

I’m in morgs…Been a right f*nny and back to “normal” smoking levels.

Going to start/combine with the 100 press-ups thing as exercise seems to be the way forward 😈

fenred
    Free Member

have it on good authority that my er, “gentleman juice” tastes much better now I don’t smoke.

TMI…I’ve just been sick in the bin under my desk!

binners

Yip. Count me in! Lets have another go.

Just got my NHS Quit pack. Completely ****ing useless it is too. Clearly put together by a committee of STW users of the “oooooooo I hate smoking, its horrid an icky. Why do they do it?” persuasion

If it was left to me to design it, it would contain

a) Five massive bags of Haribo
    b) Piers Morgan – to be punched whenever I’m feeling ill tempered (all the ****ing time!)
    c) An automated ranting and shouting machine. I can only do so many before my throat starts to hurt
    d) Another five massive bags of Haribo

fenred
    Free Member

What do you get in the quit pack binners?

binners

Nothing of any apparent use. Its just a fancy box with a load of crap literature, telling you stuff you already know like:

a) You’re going to die
    b) Its going to cost you quite a bit before you do
    c) People think you’re a ****!

scuzz
    Free Member

Haha Binners!
    Just for a recap, I stopped a couple of weeks before xmas and stayed off them until new years eve when I pretended to be a chimney. Woke up 1st Jan feeling awful. Been off them since!
    Still think about them a few times a day, but it’s fleeting. Can go out for a drink too, can even go outside while everyone else smokes completely unaware that I used to smoke. No big deal, all good.
    I can actually walk up stairs, too.

fenred
    Free Member

Sounds plenty useful 🙄

Not even a token satsuma in it?

RustyMac

Good luck binners, fenred and morgs.

LoCo
    Free Member

Feeling decidedly smug I’m afraid, sorry, 😳 a total of 1 fag over the Christmas and New Year break and today is the first day with no patches or gum etc.
    Actually feeling normal, I.E not about to beat anyone to a pulp.

Werid thing is though my chest still feels like I’ve been in a pub smoking my head off till 4 in the morning, every morning, which if is odd, how’s everyone elses chest feeling?

Just to clarify I’ve smoked for over 15 years, and thought I had Zero willpower to stop initially, so if I can give up the rest of you should be able too with no problems, Good luck.

Edit oh, yeah, sickness, headaches, chronic indegestion, chest pains, and constipation seem to parts of this all so don’t worry about them, sure it’s less painful than dying of some unpleaseant smoking related disease.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

@LoCo aye I got all that, binned a 40-100 fag a day habit and the following weeks were pretty horrendous but it goes, I think it’s just your body dumping all the crap out of it.

fenred
    Free Member

Good going loco and scuzz! You’ve every reason to be condescending smug 😉

RJ – How the **** did you manage to put 100 fags away in a day?? 😯

binners

RJ – how the **** do you smoke 100 fags a day? That’s pretty hardcore fella 😯

LoCo
    Free Member

Yeah thought as much just need to get the remaining rubbish, had stopped smoking in early December (i think) so thought it would have cleared it all by now, can’t be training hard enough 😯

camo16
    Free Member

Okay, I’m in too.

I’m back on the smokes full-time, although I’ve managed not to get to the same levels of nicotine usage as I was on prior to attempt one.

LoCo, that’s seriously awesome, dude.

wrecker
    Free Member

Werid thing is though my chest still feels like I’ve been in a pub smoking my head off till 4 in the morning, every morning, which if is odd, how’s everyone elses chest feeling?

Same, I felt as unfit as I ever have on my ride saturday. Apparently its all the mucus hairs growing back and takes 6 weeks to get back to normal.

willard

Still off the Champix, still not had a smoke since I quit.

For those of you that are still in the process of quitting, keep going! It’s worth it in a lot of ways. For example, in my first PFT since quitting I managed to shave 45 seconds off my 1.5 mile run time. With a bit more practice I’ll get it down to 9 minutes.

All I need to do now is get rid of the excess weight I put on thanks to the tablets.

wrecker
    Free Member

Your BFT time was around 10 mins? 😯

Sorry gotta take the piss. Its the rules.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

@binners, @fenred – I work alone at a computer most of the day – basically I was chain smoking all day and all night, absolutely disgusting.

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 804 total)

The topic ‘Stopping smoking!!’ is closed to new replies.