• This topic has 803 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by SnS.
Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 804 total)
  • Stopping smoking!!
  • ChrisA66
    Free Member

Coming to the end of Day 3 for me. Popped into my local (Co-op) chemist the other day and found out that for the price of a prescription and a 10 minute consultation I can get patches (or whatever other products I choose)), and I can go back after a week and get another load of patches with the same deal. They had a perspex cube on the counter with some dark red oily gunk in it. Evidently this represented how much tar gets into your lungs after smoking for a month (I think). That was the best visual aid I can think of for packing it in. I was on 10 a day for the past 25 years so time to MTFU (to use a popular phrase). Good luck everyone and keep going.

ChrisA66
    Free Member

Sorry – double post

binners

Chris – can you just pop into the chemist to get the patches ‘n stuff? Or do you need to get a perscription from your doc?

wrecker
    Free Member

Binners, it’s the smoking clinic. They will/can give you free patches etc. Normally in pharmacies and will do appointments on saturdays etc.

ChrisA66
    Free Member

Binners – Wrecker is right. This way cuts out having to see the doc and going through the umpteenth ‘giving up smoking’ rigmarole. It helped that the lady I spoke to at the chemist had given up herself so was able to sympathise / encourage me too.

mazz
    Free Member

Well done all.
    Have been watching this thread since it started.
    Decided to pack in before NYE. On day 20 now, so far is OK.

willard

Wrecker… For a 37 year old, that is quite a time under that allowed for my age bracket (11;30). My plan is to get it down to 9 minutes, something that should be possible.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m joking willard. 9 minutes at 37 is bloody good. I never broke the 8 minute barrier myself, although this was run in boots.
    I didn’t mean to offend, just a bit of teasing. Good luck with the phys.

khani
    Free Member

Still going here, I’d like to be smug…..so I am,.. 8)
    But I’ve put on over a stone! which I’m not smug about 😥
    But I’d like to say,.. it’s not about one mighty effort full of wooo and awesome, it’s a slow and tedious bleeding drag that feels like it’ll never end…….

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

Well done khani!

I remember your pain when you stopped initially.

Don’t worry about the weight thing, I put on half a stone when I stopped and I have lost a few pounds of it now, but I would rather be carrying a few extra pounds than still be smoking 🙂

khani
    Free Member

Thanks Ho hum 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

Oh well … I am packing it in as well so this will be my last 25g of tobacco. Nothing using patch etc but will power.

Money saved will be going to car insurance … 😡

camo16
    Free Member

Khani – that’s fantastic. I’m so glad someone’s really managing to kick the habit. Muchos respect, dude!

* determines to become a new man in the future. 37 tomorrow, so I’d better become a new man soon. The old one’s knackered. *

fenred
    Free Member

Yeh top effort Khani!

Even after beer and curry and me puffing away like a steam train on speed didn’t rattle him 😯

Dont be worried about the weight, you can ride my bike for a bit…that’ll get ya sweating 😆

Good job man!!

khani
    Free Member

😳 awwww……
    [smug] 8) [smug]

fenred
    Free Member

So…Let’s see some commitment then 😈

When’s ‘D-Day’ happening???

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Day one. Here we go. Or rather,day zero.

morgs
    Free Member

D-Day for me is a week on Sunday.

I’m on Holiday as of Friday….and I have a msmorgs with a duff knee (dislocation and cruicate ligament snappage due to skiing) who will need all my gentlemanly attention and looking after skills*

So that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!

*I’ll need the distractuion of fags and the stress releif they bring!

binners

I’m going to nip into the pharmacists at the weekend and getting myself some… ahem… aids.

Then D Day is one day next week. Lets get our AWESOMENESS back comrades! 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

Not read this but I stopped about 2 weeks before Christmas not sure of exact date I was hung over and didn’t fancy a smoke for about three days, yes it was some session lol. Still not smoked despite a few nights out which I have normally struggled not smoking on on previous attempts. Upped the fitness training at work in the new year and finding it much better and easier 🙂

I was still craving like mad when out on Sat night tho lol but getting there

morgs
    Free Member

I prepare to bask in your awsomeness as long as you all prepare to bask in mine 🙂

fenred
    Free Member

Ouch morgs! Hope your missus recovers quickly. remember to don your silver tray and roller skates 😀

binners, i’d avoid getting ‘aids’ at the pharmacy if I were you 😉

I’m going to pledge Sunday as last day of smukin…will be riding Sunday afternoon and need to start the campaign with a ride…Dunno why, just do.

BTW satsumas seem to be out of season darn sarf…Do clementines have the same mytical qualities?

Nice one firestarter.

Hope its going well bobfromkansas.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Day three over. Still stopped. Decided against using owt. Figure it will be over and done with sooner that way. Seems to work if I get a craving I just tell myself it won’t last, unless I get more cigarettes, and then it’ll go on indefinitely.

wrecker
    Free Member

The second week has been considerably harder than the first. Still “clean” but the disappointment I get each time I remind myself not to have a ciggie is gradually leaving me more down. IIRC, next week will be harder again but it gets easier from there. Just got to keep plodding.

donsimon
    Free Member

Still “clean” but the disappointment I get each time I remind myself not to have a ciggie is gradually leaving me more down

Look to the future and not the past, embrace the new unsmelly, healthier and wealthier you.
    Have a read of Allen Carr just to rediscover what you’re doing and why.
    Keep it up, you’re doing fine…

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks don 🙂
    I motivate myself by thinking of the money I have saved and concentrating on calculating it and keeping track. It’s easier as it’s so quantifiable, rather than health and smell etc.
    I know that I’ve saved £86.40 so far.

donsimon
    Free Member

I really would suggest that you take some of those savings and splash it out on Allen Carr’s The Easy Way. I gave my copy away to a student a couple of years ago with a no return policy, the only thing I asked was that he passed it onto to someone else after he had quit and to keep hold of it until he had quit. It will make life a lot easier for you.
    I can’t remember when I quit, it was either 7, 8 or 9, now I come to think about it possible 10 years ago. [smug] The date I quit isn’t as important as knowing that I’ve quit for the rest of my life. [/smug] 😛

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve got a copy thanks don. I read it a while back and seem to remember that he didn’t want you to give up until you’d finished it. I’ve already stopped. I’m already a non-smoker 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Nice one, not a problem having a comfort read just to reinforce some of the ideas.

I’m already a non-smoker

Excellent, we can point and laugh at the smokers now. 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

Nice one, not a problem having a comfort read just to reinforce some of the ideas.

Not a bad idea. I might reach for it if I start wobbling too badly.

Excellent, we can point and laugh at the smokers now.

I wish. My lungs are not operating anywhere near as well as they were when I smoked. The smokers will be laughing at me until I recover.

donsimon
    Free Member

I wish. My lungs are not operating anywhere near as well as they were when I smoked. The smokers will be laughing at me until I recover.

All part of the process, I think………. Remember I’m not exactly a doctor………

cheese@4p

Get stuck in you lot.
    I’ve been stopped a couple of months now and feel much healthier. Not just aerobically but skin and hair in better nick. Feel more energetic and confident in myself. Sex is better and more frequent. psychologically much better for not beating myself up about being a smoker all the time. The list is endless really.
    Yes I have put on about 4 kilos but some of that is down to Christmas. The weight gain is trivial compared to all the major benefits.
    It is not exactly easy to quit but if you think about the gains it’s a no brainer.
    Set yourself a date, at least a week away and concentrate your mind on that date so that when it comes you are really psyched for it and raring to go.
    Go For It

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

almost two weeks now and it’s going well. no smoking or gum. still get the odd craving but it has been ridiculously easy so far. just needed to get my head round it. obviously i’m not going to count my chickens, but i’ve smoked for about twenty years and this is the first time i’ve managed to stop, probably cos it’s the first time i’ve actually committed to stopping. i am aware of the the three week danger period.but so far so good. am proud of myself.

wrecker
    Free Member

Well done bobfromkansas! Hardest part done!
    I’ve around the three week point with no NRT. So far so good, even had a night on the lash with no probs!
    I’ve got money in my wallet from last week!
    Keep it up mate.

scaled
    Free Member

Stumbled across this, gave up smoking fags about 20 months ago and had a wobble this week, stress, new job in the city centre, blah blah excuses excuses.

Got myself a pack of 14 (they didnt do 14s when i last smoked?!) Feels like i’m having to quit all over again, gunk in my throat, commute to work is significantly harder.

For some reason I still felt compelled to finish the packet… In the end gave the last 2 away to a tramp who was smoking… He called me a C**t for not giving him any money on the way back down the street.

therag
    Free Member

Well done all.
    Iv been off them 3&1/2 weeks now after about 17 years. 30ish a day last off.
    I had a bad day last week, bought 10, smoked 3 then threw the rest away.
    That’s the only time so hoping i won’t give in again.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

morgs
    Free Member

D-Day tomorrow. Wish me luck guys 🙂

And D-day today in my ‘returning to the gym’ challenge. Hoping the tendonitis has cleared up to let me get on with some weights!

Set a target to lose 5 stone this year. 5 STONE! and I want 1.5 of that gone by my birthday in March.

Let the sweating commence 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

Good luck, concentrate on one thing at a time to start with it’ll make life a bit easier, well it worked for me 😀

wallop

I quit smoking a week ago.

I am more grumpy than I thought I would be. It’s not even grumpy week!

My sleeping is also disturbed – I keep waking up in the night. Is that normal after quitting teh fags?

😐

but 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 804 total)

The topic ‘Stopping smoking!!’ is closed to new replies.