• This topic has 803 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by SnS.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 804 total)
  • Stopping smoking!!
  • morgs
    Free Member

UPDATE!!

18.5 hours in and feeling pretty good. The test will be the drive into work and the 10:30 smoke break. I reckon if I can get to lunch then I’ll be ok as that will be the magic 24 hour marker.

Camo – have you joined us yet? I’ll still always be ahead of you 😉

Binners, how are you getting on?

motivation is varied for me.
    – health (son, partner & family to live for)
    – money (I smoked between 10 and 20 a day, but working on just 10, that’s over £1300 a year = a lot of blingy bits)
    – career . I’m back to uni next year, so need to be smoke free for the course (teaching) and my overdraft
    – fitness. Self-explanatory…?

loads of others that aren’t coming to me right now 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good luck folks. over two years cigarette free for me.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m doing very well at the moment..
    I’ve been a regular smoker since before puberty and quit smoking last year for the first time in over 25 years..

I lasted six months before succumbing to an occasional smoke which led to full time smoking again very quickly..
    I’ve quit again this year using patches to control the cravings for just the first few days..

I’m already feeling the benefits and it’s now my muscles that complain before my lungs on the climbs..

😀 😀

camo16
    Free Member

Camo – have you joined us yet? I’ll still always be ahead of you

Right behind you, kiddo!

Had my last one at 8ish last night, so I’m a little way past the 12 hour marker.

Okay, I was asleep most of the time, but it’s still a marker. 😆

Good luck, morgs – you’re sounding pretty chilled, considering.

EDIT: By the way, I’ve just avoided one of my smoke rituals – the pre-work huddlin’ in the office doorways fag. Next one’s about 10.30!

hels
    Free Member

Well done all of you ! One day at a time…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well done people. 🙂

So you’re going to be hitting the 3 day mark on Friday? I’d recommend planning to do something differnet from your normal Friday routine… something that makes smoking harder to do… go out for a meal instead of down the pub for instance.

Hohum
    Free Member

Keep it up quitters!

It isn’t an easy thing giving up (and staying off them), but the benefits are huge.

I think that I am just over 19 months off them now – I gave up in March 2010, but I have forgotten the exact day, which is a good thing IMO.

stick_man

From my own experience having stopped 5 years ago:

You need a very powerful, personal reason to stop. Summarise your heartfelt reason for stopping in a sentence or two and refer to it whenever you feel a craving.

Make it a personal experience. Don’t turn it into a game by giving up with other people.

Don’t hide the fact you’re stopping but don’t go on about it either. Do it quietly.

Don’t replace the fags with anything else. Don’t change any other part of your life.

Do not underestimate the power of your addiction. Never ever have even one fag ever, it’ll be the thin end of a long wedge. For me this is the golden rule of stopping.

You will be amazed at how much fitter you become.

It’s going to tough at times but well worth it.

hora
    Free Member

I used to get chest infections every winter when I smoked. I think that (and mrshora) were enough motivation in the end.

My old GP was fantastic. She took her time and said to me ‘one day you’ll be permanently like this. Is this what you want’?

binners

Hows everyone feeling this morning then?

Like Obama?

Looks like we’ve got a high profile comrade* on board 😀

I’ve got a couple of fags left in my last packet. And it is the last packet! I’m going to have my last smoke with a pint this evening, then its game over! I asked my daughters if they wanted me to stop last night. I got a very enthusiastic reply. So now I’m threatened with all kind of sanctions should I waver. I’ll never get another hug ever again apparently

*are you allowed to use ‘that word’ about an American President?

morgs
    Free Member

Well, next test passed! The 10:30 smoke break involved making a brew and some fresh air with some wordfeud (scrabble).

Roll on 1:30 and the 24 hour mark (although lunch is at 12:30….good job I brought my book!)

camo16
    Free Member

morgs, well done!

I’ve made it past my own 10.30 break habit so I’m pretty pleased with myself!

Off to make a coffee now…

Generally, I feel like this 🙂 about it, but occasionally I get all 😡 and, once or twice, 👿

Still, better than expected…

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Like Hora said I used to get chest infections and bunged up nose, bad throats all the time, a few weeks ago I had my first cold for over two years which certainly would have developed into a chest infection for me before but only developed into a bad throat.

Good job quitters! Don’t quit quitting!

morgs
    Free Member

nice one camo!

It’s going to be the hour long 12:30 – 1:30 break that’ll be tough….so, I will nip to the supermarket for my lunch….something naughty and nice for a treat….followed by sitting at my desk with my book.

22 hours in and feel fine…..apart from the hot flushes that feel how I would expect those suffered my menopaulsal women to feel…

I’M A SMOKE FREE SWEATY BETTY! 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oh yeah – cut back on your coffee consumption. Nicotine blocks how your body deals with caffeine.

You need to re-build your tolerance.

mboy
    Free Member

I say ‘cold turkey’, but I did actually develop a serious Fruit Pastille habit for about 6 months – had to work to limit myself to one bag a day, especially as I was supposed to be writing my Masters thesis at the time, and found it really difficult to concentrate for the first few weeks.

Made me chuckle 😆

morgs, keep going mate, no personal experience but know lots of succesful quitters, and all of them did it by just going cold turkey. Patches, gum etc all failed as when they tried to then remove the new habit from their life, they craved nicotine so just sparked up a fag again!

Oh, and whilst tempting, DO NOT think “well I’ve got rid of one bad habit, it can’t hurt if I indulge a little in something else”… Replacing nicotine for coffee will make you just as irritable, and you won’t sleep. Replacing it with food will mean you just gain 3 stone overnight. If you need a habit, take TSY’s advice, eat some fruit instead of smoking a fag. Healthiest thing for you, and I don’t know anyone who’s overweight cos they eat a lot of fruit!

Also, DEFINITELY worth giving up booze for a few weeks. Everyone I know who has quit, then had a couple of drinks inside the first month, has always ended up smoking again. Apparently the temptation is too great just to have a fag when you’ve had a beer, so just lay off the booze for a few weeks until you can trust yourself to have a few pints without wanting a fag. Good luck though, I’m sure you’ll fare better than binners, who every new year whips up a mass frenzied support cos he’s giving up the fags again, then when everything has gone quiet he slips back onto them seemingly… 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

no personal experience

😆

You may have become my most favouritest STWer with that post.

hora
    Free Member

schrickvr6 a month or so ago I had 24hrs of mad projectile vomiting.

Mrshora said to me ‘I honestly can’t remember a time when you were last ill’.

morgs
    Free Member

15 mins away from the magic 24 hours mark and feel fine (if not a little hot!)

TSY – i see what you mean about caffiene intake…..not good when I’m a hypertensive as well!

mboy – love your posts – always put a smile pn my face 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

good work morgs!!! keep it up 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oooh, ooh, I must be back in time to celebrate your first day smoke free??

I was getting such bad shakes and sweats from sticking with 4 cups of black coffee a morning that I’d have to go for a walk outside to cool down before attempting the post work 5th cup.

Thankfully I now drink far less coffee too.

morgs
    Free Member

TSY – yup – I’m into day 2 now!

knock coffee on the head? is decaf ok?

thinking I may as well make all these changes at one…..cycle instead of drive, smoke-free and no coffee?

why not! 🙂

binners

I drink, on average, 27 litres of coffee a day

Is this going to be a problem? Is my metabolism going to collapse? Am I going to be like Lemmy if he ever stops taking all the speed?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Personally I’d stick with some coffee, I’ve started subsituting some for green tea.

De-caf won’t give you the hot flushes, but then it won’t keep you awake either.

Cycling instead of driving would make the fag en route almost impossible though 🙂

hora
    Free Member

[img]http://www.kentonline.co.uk/images/mm%20smokers%2022.09.10_pd1760897_v_Variation_1.jpg[/img]

camo16
    Free Member

I’m into day 2 now!

Mucho respecto, Morgs! 😀

schrickvr6
    Free Member

And if you haven’t already NOW is the time to start dishing out mockery and pity indisciminately to anyone that smokes, revel in the fact you are a superior being.

Hora that reminds me of the only time I’ve eaten at Wagamamas and I managed to project myself out of the toilet onto my arse against the hallway wall about 6 foot away still spewing, ahhh good times.

lowey

Well done guys. 2 years here and feel very much better for it. I can honestly say I dont miss it one little bit. I do feel that there comes a time in your life when you are just ready to quit. I reached that time and to be honest didnt find it too hard.

My kids made my life hell though when I was a smoker. I was very smug when I told them I had quit. They were over the moon!

bagpuss72
    Free Member

If there’s ever a week when I don’t say anything can someone pop round and make sure Binners hasn’t killed me in a ‘post stopage’ rage….cheers

I picked him up a leaflet about it today just to infuriate him I’ll let you know how it goes. And, no its not me making him stop….

mboy
    Free Member

You may have become my most favouritest STWer with that post.

Haha, does one have to have suffered oneself to pass comment, or merely have observed many peers suffering and make comments based upon observation?

Anyway, wouldn’t normally have posted, but knowing morgs personally and knowing he could do with some moral support, I did.

What’s worrying me at the moment TSY is I’ve only just spotted your alter ego for the first time (maybe I’ve been asleep or just not on here all that much of late). Are you actually my sister, for her name is actually Samantha Louise!!! 😕

toab
    Free Member

WooHoo, go quitters!

Oranges / satsumers are great for fagr breaks while giving up the pealing replaces the rolling and if you eat it a segment at a time you get the hand to mouth movement. The vit c is good too as nicoteine blocks it and most smoker are a bit defficient.

morgs
    Free Member

Anyway, wouldn’t normally have posted, but knowing morgs personally and knowing he could do with some moral support, I did.

Yup – and could need it! Must admit, after a not so good meeting with the Boss last night, I was ready to spark up. Managed to hold off though and now I’m 42 hours in!

hora
    Free Member

Its sooo classy. Notice how the lowlife ALWAYS smoke? Link to

intelligence and smoking?

Smoking is sooo cool.

cheese@4p

I stopped smoking on Monday so it’s day 4 for me.
    Cold turkey no nicotine replacement.
    Tried before and thought I’d cracked it but not so. This time it’s for good.
    Well done us lot, keep it up.

hora
    Free Member

Try the fresh OJ – I read somewhere (at the time I quit) that it leaches nicotine out of your system quicker. I wasn’t sure if it was a placebo but it worked (and distracted me).

Edit found this at the top of the google search- http://www.livestrong.com/article/278617-how-to-quit-smoking-by-eating-oranges/

I think I drank circa 2litres+ a day! I admit I was a wee bit of addicted to OJ (proper pulp stuff)- sort of temporarily transferred my addictive personality over and craved the taste.

camo16
    Free Member

Good on you, morgs and cheese@4p!

36.5 hours in myself …

A couple of homicide fantasies aside, I’m doing pretty nicely.

In fact, yesterday was my first clear day without nicotine IN ANY FORM WHATSOEVER for more years than I care to remember.

lowey

Well done chaps… keep it up.

binners

Right! I am now smoke free. Yay! Had my last one last night. And I’ve actually quite enjoyed not having a fag and a coffee as the first thing of the day.

Hora – you’re really not helping at all. In fact, there’s nothing more annoying than a sanctimonious born-again non-smoker. When we can be sanctimonious and preachy with you that’ll be fine. Until then. Stop it!

I’m going to get a big bag of tangerines I think

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

36.5 hours in myself …

Hahahahaaa… I think I was signing off every post with my cumulative smoke free hours at the beginning of this year.

Keep it up all of you. Especially Binners.

morgs
    Free Member

Nice one gents! All this mutual support is getting bro-sexual*

Still gettings these bloody sweats though 🙁

*i am suffering from withdrawl symptoms, please excuse this outburst!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 804 total)

The topic ‘Stopping smoking!!’ is closed to new replies.