Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)
  • Stolen : Stumpy from LBS workshop
  • weeksy

There has to be a realistic line to draw though ?

Say it was a 1995 with XTR, does he now neeed to replace his 1995 XTR bike worth a few hundred with a £4000 bike ?

njee20
    Free Member

Yes. That’s how “new for old” cover works.

Clue’s in the name.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Why should he accept a bike with 2014 oem shimano slx on it, if the bike that was stolen had 2014 xt.

weeksy

njee20 – Member

Yes. That’s how “new for old” cover works

Where did him dropping the bike off at the LBS come with “new for old cover” ?

IdleJon

weeksy – Member

njee20 – Member

Yes. That’s how “new for old” cover works

When they lost his bike. Can’t you see that?

njee20
    Free Member

Because it’s the shop’s screw up, they should be offering that, I’d accept no less. If they’re out of pocket then tough, shouldn’t have been lax in the first place.

I don’t think most people drop a bike off at the LBS expecting it to be stolen and to get something inferior back.

I can’t believe anyone’s defending the shop – people specifically seek new for old household cover so their bikes are covered adequately in their rickety shed in their back garden, but are completely accepting that a professional outfit don’t need to offer that level of cover?

weeksy

When they lost his bike. Can’t you see that?

IT would appear I can’t no.

IMO, the LBS are being exceptionally reasonable here..I’ll bow out now as I don’t see anything changing in my opinion.

njee20
    Free Member

IMO, the LBS are being exceptionally reasonable here

HOW!? I assume they didn’t say to him “thank you for leaving your bike with us, there’s a good chance it’ll get nicked due to our shit security, we’ll pass that loss onto you, you’re ok with that I assume?” when he dropped it off?

rusty90
    Free Member

it’s the shop’s screw up

Exactly. And what their insurance company is offering to reimburse them is irrelevant to what they should be offering the OP.

chip
    Free Member

How about they make sure it does not get stolen in the first place.
    And was stolen by an opportunist taking advantage of slack security being in place to protect customers property as if the were turned over in the night I am sure there would have been other (new) bikes they would have wheeled out the doors first.

Some people can get attached to what someone else would consider junk.

The op did not leave his bike in the hall with the front door open while watering his flowers in the back garden , in which case he would be at the mercy of his insurers.

In this case I think the bike shop should do there best to make it right unless they are in the habit of losing other peoples bikes.

Steve77
    Free Member

OP ask for a bike from them that’s £2500 at cost. They won’t be out of pocket so can’t complain but you’ll get a bike worth ~£3,500 RRP and so will likely be XT throughout and a much better frame than your old one.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I am alone in thinking a Trek Remedy 8 is an excellent bike for around that money? I’d say you’re quids in.

LoCo
    Free Member

I expect they’ll give the op a 2.5k (trade price) bike so he’ll get something nice as it’ll be less hassle and they won’t loose to much money as they’ll have lost half day labour sorting it out.

njee20
    Free Member

There are many excellent bikes for that money, just as you can get an excellent car for £15000, that doesn’t mean it’s an adequate settlement if your Ferrari gets nicked 😉

And what their insurance company is offering to reimburse them is irrelevant to what they should be offering the OP.

That’s the crux of my point!

IdleJon

joolsburger – Member

I am alone in thinking a Trek Remedy 8 is an excellent bike for around that money? I’d say you’re quids in

The spec is Deore/SLX though, so it’s not equivalent. (Assuming the forks are equivalent to the OP’s.)

When I worked in Wheelies this may have been the Trek equivalent:

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mountain/technical_trail/remedy/remedy_9_27_uk/#

£3700

GHill

The spec is Deore/SLX though, so it’s not equivalent

Is spec really just groupset (consumables?!) though? IMO that’s the bone of contention in this thread.

xiphon
    Free Member

My old insurance company had an insane ‘new for old’ policy (which partly explains the premiums…)

12 year old frame, 7-8 year old parts…. insurance valued at £4,500 for a “like for like” build. Cheque was sent in the post, minus 20% (as I didn’t want to buy from Wheelies).

That was 1 of 3 bikes nicked at once. We hit 5 figures on the cheque!

Few weeks of trawling eBay, and I’ve got the same frame model on its way to me (to start a replacement build). For £100.

Aidy
    Free Member

Yeah, I don’t really get how people are defending the shop.

Regardless of how good the Trek might be, I don’t see why the OP should have to settle for something that he’s not entirely happy with.

I’d certainly not expect the shop to be *profiting* from letting a customer’s bike be stolen.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Frame age is not the point it’s a like for like replacement so OP should get equivalent at today’s prices with same spec running gear etc at today’s prices. If it had been my bike and given I’m insured I would have my insurance chase up bike shops insurance and let them thrash it out.

burnside81
    Free Member

I had a 7 year old Giant XTC nicked with second hand Fox forks and Superstar wheels on it. They paid out for latest XTC 29er with Fox forks and then paid an extra £300 to upgrade the wheels.

grum
    Free Member

The value is immaterial. He wants a bike, he didn’t want to sell his old one, he didn’t want £500. Will £2500 give him a better bike than before?

Yes, it will be miles, miles better than his old bike.

LoCo
    Free Member

That^

IdleJon

GHill – Member

The spec is Deore/SLX though, so it’s not equivalent

Is spec really just groupset (consumables?!) though? IMO that’s the bone of contention in this thread

To reduce it to a ridiculous level, if only his XT chain had been stolen and the bike shop offered an Deore/SLX replacement – because it does the same job – should he be happy?

And I thought the bone of contention was that plenty of people said he should be happy with £2500 because the bike was old (and worn out presumably). Nothing to do with actual values of kit, how insurers actually work, etc, just a bit of jealousy that somebody seems to be getting a better deal.

IdleJon

Posted 8 minutes ago # Report-Post

grum – Member

The value is immaterial. He wants a bike, he didn’t want to sell his old one, he didn’t want £500. Will £2500 give him a better bike than before?

So, if you are the insurer, how do you quantify that? A random £2500 and here’s hoping that the fool victim accepts on the basis that the internet says his bike was rubbish?

grum
    Free Member

To reduce it to a ridiculous level, if only his XT chain had been stolen and the bike shop offered an Deore/SLX replacement – because it does the same job – should he be happy?

Except your analogy doesn’t really work because he is also getting something vastly superior and worth vastly more than the original, which would more than make up for slightly worse shifters or whatever.

So, if you are the insurer, how do you quantify that? A random £2500 and here’s hoping that the fool victim accepts on the basis that the internet says his bike was rubbish?

I don’t know, what do you suggest? He just gets to name any figure he wants?

Getting stuff nicked is shit and I have sympathy but I think emotion is clouding judgement here. New bikes are so much better than 10 year old bikes there’s hardly any comparison.

Plus £2500 cash would get you a Canyon with ridiculous spec.

LoCo
    Free Member

How much would the Op’s bike go for on classified for then? certainly not £2500, no one said it was rubbish, more the question of it’s actual
    value as a whole including upgrades, which is less than 2.5k.

Anyhow, I’ll leave it that, hopefully the OP gets it all sorted and the shop does a good deal on a decent spec. bike.

IdleJon

grum – Member

Except your analogy doesn’t really work because he is also getting something vastly superior and worth vastly more than the original, which would more than make up for slightly worse shifters or whatever.

Except it does as work because, as I’ve already written, that’s how the insurers do it. Like for like replacement.

njee20
    Free Member

Why? He’d clearly changed a lot of the parts, we’re not talking a 10 year old bike in it’s entirety, there’s maybe a 10 year old frame. They were great frames (Triad shock maybe less so), as I said previously, they were immensely popular. What is it that inherently makes a new one so much better? You’d happily take a downgrade because it was newer?

he is also getting something vastly superior and worth vastly more than the original,

Again, what it’s worth is irrelevant, because the OP’s not trying to sell it, he wants to ride it, and he may end up with something that’s less well specced.

Getting stuff nicked is shit and I have sympathy but I think emotion is clouding judgement here.

It’s the inclusion of the third party (ie the shop) in this case that makes it different. If the bike got nicked from his shed, he’d potentially get a new for old, why should that change because of the shop’s involvement?

How much would the Op’s bike go for on classified for then?

Once again. That’s irrelevant because he’s not trying to sell it. The monetary value is a red herring for anything other than purchasing an equivalent replacement. New… for… old…

Simple.

IdleJon

LoCo – Member

How much would the Op’s bike go for on classified for then? certainly not £2500, no one said it was rubbish, more the question of it’s actual
    value as a whole including upgrades, which is less than 2.5k.

I believe njee may have addressed that question a couple of pages ago. Second-hand value has no bearing on insurance replacement unless your policy has a wear and tear clause, and seeing as the OP had his bike stolen from a shop I’d not expect a wear and tear clause to be forced on him.

cookeaa

I have a 10 year old Madone, 1000g frame, full Dura Ace, Race X Lite wheels, carbon bars etc. If that was valued at £2500 the new replacement wouldn’t even be in the same league – it’s the shop’s screw up, I’d be wanting a modern equivalent with full Dura Ace, Race X Lite wheels etc, they’ve got to suck it up.

Funnily enough a mate of mine bought a very nice 2004 Madone dripping with pristine DA 7800 earlier this year…. £500 😀 I shit thee not…

Obviously the modern equivalent would cost a massive multiple of that but then insurance companies ain’t stupid (always) they would expect to factor age and depreciation into any valuation… having fitted new drivetrain parts really just falls under “maintenance” after a decade of use, in most people’s eyes…

If I told them my 15 year old golf was stolen tomorrow, I doubt they’d offer me the cash to go out and buy a brand new one, even if I have had it regularly serviced…

IdleJon

cookeaa – Member

I have a 10 year old Madone, 1000g frame, full Dura Ace, Race X Lite wheels, carbon bars etc. If that was valued at £2500 the new replacement wouldn’t even be in the same league – it’s the shop’s screw up, I’d be wanting a modern equivalent with full Dura Ace, Race X Lite wheels etc, they’ve got to suck it up.

Funnily enough a mate of mine bought a very nice 2004 Madone dripping with pristine DA 7800 earlier this year…. £500 I shit thee not…

Obviously the modern equivalent would cost a massive multiple of that but then insurance companies ain’t stupid (always) they would expect to factor age and depreciation into any valuation… having fitted new drivetrain parts really just falls under “maintenance” after a decade of use, in most people’s eyes…

If I told them my 15 year old golf was stolen tomorrow, I doubt they’d offer me the cash to go out and buy a brand new one, even if I have had it regularly serviced…

jeez, have you not read anything that’s been written?

IdleJon

Funnily enough a mate of mine bought a very nice 2004 Madone dripping with pristine DA 7800 earlier this year…. £500 I shit thee not…

Not relevant at all.

Obviously the modern equivalent would cost a massive multiple of that but then insurance companies ain’t stupid (always) they would expect to factor age and depreciation into any valuation…

Depends on the policy but if you have a wear and tear clause in your policy, more fool you. Most policies are NEW FOR OLD!

having fitted new drivetrain parts really just falls under “maintenance” after a decade of use, in most people’s eyes…

No it doesn’t, see above.

njee20
    Free Member

Obviously the modern equivalent would cost a massive multiple of that but then insurance companies ain’t stupid (always) they would expect to factor age and depreciation into any valuation

As IdleJon has said, that’s just not true, plenty of policies are “new for old” which, unsurprisingly, means exactly that. In this instance specifically that’s exactly what the OP should get. If that’s not how the shop’s cover works then tough shit for them. Taking your example, if we were to assume the market value of my Madone was £500 would it be reasonable that I couldn’t afford the bottom of the range Trek road bike to replace my 16lb full carbon one?

I think we need a bit of basic insurance knowledge here: New for Old Contents Insurance

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

The whole introduction of carbon frames has made the situation more difficult, which means replacing new for old impossible. I appreciate that.

I’d be happy with a 100m travel alu specialized frame, with a 2014 XT build and wheelset, which is what I gave them. Alu is probably better for adventure racing what with it being strapped to kayaks and what not.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I don’t think the OP is being unreasonable in wanting a replacement for his bike, and the age is a red herring.

If I were the shop and that had been made clear by the OP/customer.
    I’d take the insurance money.. source a 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper pro and build it back to the OP’s bike spec. Cash in hand for them to cover their insurance excess/hike too.
    That would make everyone happy.. although the OP wouldn’t have made the most of the rather fortunate situation he’s been presented with (aside from the upset of the theft)

Not sure why you’d not work with the shop and push for a carbon Fuel EX 9.8 27.5. At wholesale its probably not much more than 2500. You say you don’t like Trek.. but like most brands, they do make very good bikes. Much better than your Spec.

I’d like to think the shop will take care of you if you’ve a buying history with them.

njee20
    Free Member

but like most brands, they do make very good bikes. Much better than your Spec.

Again… why?

A lot of people are taking the newer = better angle here, blindly. That statement reads that any Trek would be better than his Spesh, which is clearly utter bollocks.

chip
    Free Member

You can not replace old with actual old, as although the replacement may be of the same age, you don’t know if it has had a hard life and or how well it has been maintained so can not claim it to be equal.

You would have to agree a new old for new replacement or an acceptable cash sum.

I was going to send some forks and a rp23 for servicing soon and had decided on loco. But not so sure now as in the unlikely event he lost them he might palm me off with some old shite.

njee20
    Free Member

I was going to send some forks and a rp23 for servicing soon and had decided on loco. But not so sure know as in the unlikely event he lost them he might palm me off with some old shite.

Y’know I was surprised to see him being so vocal, to that end.

cookeaa

jeez, have you not read anything that’s been written?

I’ve read it all ta, “New For Old” in my book means new/modern equivalent based on the value of the original stolen bike, Thus in 2004 money:

list price for a Stumpy Pro FSR in 2004 was $2710 = ~£1570 GBP at the time (I’m not sure what SBC UK charged though I doubt it was a huge amount more)…

Factor in inflation (handy inflation calculator) £1570 GBP in 2004 = £2103 GBP in 2014 money, plus £400 for the upgrades that £2500 looks about right…

Or did you think it meant the exact same letters and numbers should all appear on the spec sheet? because they don’t actually make any of that stuff anymore you know…

The modern “New” equivalents of that “Old” 2004 Stumpy FSR pro come with a Deore/SLX mix, The money they’ve given the OP should deliver something a notch higher and get him mostly SLX with a bit of XT, functionally it’ll be about on par with what he lost… which is about right…

That said the OP doesn’t want a “new” stumpy he reckons he wants a 2004 or similar vintage Stumpy more like his stolen one… you could go a bit more recent if you like:

hows about an ’07?

Just as an indicator of “value” if you buy that particular £1100 stumpy, you could bin and replace all that SRAM tat with XT, have the Fork and Shock serviced and then mull over how to spend the remaining ~£800…

njee20
    Free Member

list price for a Stumpy Pro FSR in 2004 was $2710 = ~£1570 GBP at the time (I’m not sure what SBC UK charged though I doubt it was a huge amount more)…

It was £2300 for a 2004 Stumpjumper Pro, but your fundamental understanding of new for old is wrong. It really is just that, you get new kit of the equivalent spec of your old one.

I don’t know how many times I have to say it, but the monetary value isn’t relevant, sometimes a new for old replacement will be more expensive than the original, sometimes it will be less. Technology is an obvious example of the latter.

I bought a Sony LCD TV about 7 years ago that cost me £1000. If it was insured new for old I’d be entitled to the equivalent model from the current range, which may or may not be £1000 (I’m guessing it would be a chunk less).

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Stolen : Stumpy from LBS workshop’ is closed to new replies.