Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Stolen Bike Recovered!
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

belgianbob – Member

Top news!
    Is it legal yet to pull the toenails off bike thieves?

Fingers . . . bolt croppers . . . job done! 😈

Great to hear you got your bike back ben 😀

speshstumpyworks
    Free Member

To the gallows with the him , GOD WILLS IT! 😈

Seriously though well done to the rozzers hope he gets a doin in the showers of some scary prison…..highly unlikely.

Glad you got your YETI back though…been there myself and not seen the steed back home where it belongs. :mrgreen:

bongo136
    Free Member

"front suspention forks with hard and soft switch on handle bars" 😆

hora
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    The 'useless' Police
    Prevention is better than Cure…

Don't keep thousands of pounds stored in a shed in the garden or a garage? Would people keep their ipad/Macs and piles of cash in these garages? No.

My bikes always live in the house. They'd have to get past a clawhammer if they decided to enter the house at night.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

I totally agree with Hora above ^.

All these kids leaving their 3500grand dh bikes in a shed that's barely locked then putting in a claim with there parents insurance underwriters is beyond silly behaviour to me.

Also worth noting is that I see these adverts posted up on stolen bikes topics/threads on different forums.

They were asking for it most of the time, of course no-one actually asks to have their bike nicked but to put it on display in town, to then lcok using a yale on a wooden shed without further protection is a FFS scenario in my books.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My bikes currently live in the house but i'm running out of space.
    Looking into one of those steel security sheds & bolting that to the floor of the garage. Best solution i can come up with.
    Not cheap, but whats a £500 shed when you've 5K of bikes?

U31
    Free Member

Onceinalifetime and Hora: Nail. Squarely on head.

hora
    Free Member

those steel security sheds

Just because thieves never learnt to read and write properly at school doesn't make them completely thick. Such shed SCREAM that you have something in there thats worth something.

I've always made room in my house or flats- regardless of space. If you want to keep it don't take a chance.

Would you leave your car on display in the back of your car whilst you are out of sight of it? Would you leave your satnav on the passenger seat and disapear into the pub after a ride etc?
    Take responsibility for your actions.

Insurance isn't a catchnet. Your premium increases when you put a claim in.

When a bike is stolen from inside someones locked/secured house or office- then yes I feel sorry.

Everything else I think you contributed to the crime and money in the pocket/reward for the criminal act.

I would never leave my full suss ANYWHERE. I own a motorbike lock and use it on my £100 fixie commuter only- even then someones had a go at it.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Hora, sorry but that a load of shite.

I have mates who have taken quite a lot of security precautions for bikes stored in outbuildings, sheds and garages.

Breaking into most houses would be much easier than breaking into their sheds.

hora
    Free Member

You really don't get the mindset do you? Taking bolt cutters into an outshed or actually breaking into a house with the risk of an alarm going off, confronting someone who could be bigger than you, finding items of value, the risk of a phone call to 999 etc etc.

There is no one in a shed or garage to wake up.

You could also have the real risk of coming out with nothing if you break into a house- can you carry a bike through a tight-aperture window quietly? The front or backdoor might be locked and if you kick it in- the noise may result in a 999 call.

If you see someone unloading a bike and wheeling towards their house and you scope the area out and realise theres a shed…..

Which would you rather break into?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Breaking into most houses would be much easier than breaking into their sheds.

EXPLAIN!?

hora
    Free Member

Theres also the risk of someone like me coming down the stairs with a clawhammer.

Break in during the day?

Same as above- if you cant find an open window realistically you need a house with a patio window- smash and get full access to goods/remove goods (unless of course you find the spare key(s) to a door out. Keep these spares hidden at all times.

U31
    Free Member

Innit, to defeat a thief you have to think like one
    Once a mate asked to leave an expensive ifor trailer on my large driveway while on his hols.
    I said fine as long as he buys chains and ground anchors.

On the day, the easiest route would have been to reverse on the drive, A frame towards the road. Chain around a frame was the only secure area to attatch to. My drive is flagged.
    I said no. Mate asked why.
    I said if you was a thief and had to defeat the chain and anchor how would you go about it? He looked at me as if i was daft.
    I said i would take a 25lbs hammer to the flag, one good smack, the flag cracks, and the rawlbolts will be free.

As big a pin in the arse as it was it got nosed on to the drive and the anchor bolted to the front wall of the house.

The wheels came off and locked in his van, along with the bolts. The van was left on his drive 5 mile away.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Yeah, I understand now hora, no-one ever breaks into a house overnight.

onceinalifetime – ok it would be much easier to break into my house or their houses than the places they store their bikes.

Alarms, ground anchors, motorbike security chains etc. – would be easier to break into my house and nick the telly.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

[/quote]Alarms, ground anchors, motorbike security chains etc

Does not mean is less breakable into, just removing said items would prove tricky if the alarms, locks weren't takeable off.

As I have heard of horror stories about people who have had ground anchor locks and alarms and the bikes still going missing as the actual deterrants did not do their job.

As fro motorcycle lock, if it's sold secure and it's wrapped round the frame, i.e. not the wheel then I guess that's ok but does not stop the thieves from taking bike and finding out whether they can get the chain off or not does it.

My point being is that if they want it, they will take it but going into someones back yard is slightly different to breaking and entering a lived in building where one of many dangers for them could be waiting.

hora
    Free Member

motorbike security chains etc

I had my bike outside the window of my gym in sportscity locked up with a Oxford motorbike chain- vast wide open empty carparks with a security patrol travelling around in Fiestas.

It was out of eyeshot for possible 30secs whilst I left the gym to walk round outside- the plastic housing around the lock mechanism was cracked. It was that quick.

would be easier to break into my house and nick the telly

How would YOU go about getting the telly out without waking the householder up?

Most burgulars are opportunists- they'll go round an area in the wee hours trying doors (ever left your door unlocked? Bet you have once- or your missus). Or left a downstairs window open during summer or to let out smells etc and forgotten as the window is behind a curtain.

How long do you think chain locks etc hold upto thieves if they arent seen and can have 5mins to have a good go?

Also – why leave your thousands of pounds bike in the shed in the first place? 'Cos its a muddy thing and the wife wants it out'? Buy a decent bikebag for under the stairs.

If you own alot of bikes then you own too many IMO. I just wouldnt risk it.

On a general note the prolific Burgulars and thieves could be classed as hardworking. The word prolific is the clue. You could almost see them as telesales staff. They try 100doors in a night looking for an opportunity. Their 'job' is to keep trying, make some money then get high for a while. You only have to get it wrong once in comparison.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I appreciate that thieves can get past most things given time and inclination, but also that many of them do not care about where they steal from or who may/may not be in the property.

I work with quite a few folk who are thieves and burglars (with as in helping them improve their lives – not colleagues) and have asked them about breaking into houses that are occupied. Most say that the need to get stuff overrides any worries of confrontation.

Anyway, it's a nice day so am off for a ride.

hora
    Free Member

Most say that the need to get stuff overrides any worries of confrontation.

AGREE but they'll still go for stuff they can pick up and carry/chuck out of where they came in UNLESS they could unlock an internal door.

Generalisation – You can't get a bike bike out of a window can you? 🙄

PS3's etc are fodder for them as you can easily nick and carry out.

Anyway, it's a nice day so am off for a ride

So your admitting your on a losing streak? 😉

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Yeah I am, you win.

hora
    Free Member

Its not a win its limiting potential loss- I lived in Huddersfield, London and Manchester too long.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Without sounding wet behind the ears, – the so called people who fair play, your trying to help further their lives in a more constructive legit way sound like real scum that would stab anyone's granny in ther back.

Obviously that's ''assuming'', which in most cases, is incorrect.

Or if this is untrue then next time you see them when going into work,
    RUN!!!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Not that bad really, I work with people with learning disabilities (no, they're not all cute Down's syndrome kids). Many with very mild LD also have psychiatric conditions, fall prey to unscrupulous others, get on drugs/alcohol – often with encouragement from the above, get drawn into crime and, due to their social circumstances, see it as the norm as many of their family and neighbours are involved.

It's like a hamster wheel, help folk get right, move on to next referral, wait for those you've helped come back as bad or worse than before.

Obviously you do get long term successes which make it worthwhile, unlike the cuts to team numbers (from 5 to 2.2 nurses), increased expectations and pay freezes.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Sounds like some good stuff going on which you do dangerousbeans.

Nice one! a gold star goes to yourself (without sounding sarcastic).

🙂

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

It's the only job I've ever done which I like, and I do get to work with a lot of less effected people as well, with a variety of difficulties from almost inconsequential right through to paliative care.

Twin
    Free Member

To go back to the turd who stole the yeti, he's still selling the Trek. Given that he was willing to sell the stolen yeti, would it be worth asking him a question as to whether the Trek is stolen too? (I've never bought/sold anything on ebay so don't know if he can hide the question?)

At least it's a warning to anyone who doesn't read the feedback?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Twin, don't be foolish aye.

yes he can of course with-hold the ebay question answer.

Let it slide for now, he'll be no doubt questioned about the other bike which he is selling surely.

dt5714
    Free Member

The Trek that is on eBay got recovered by the Police last night too.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

^^ its still for sale on ebay though.

hora
    Free Member

Yes I imagine the 'seller' is quite busy/has other things on his mind at the moment 😆

Macinblack
    Free Member

I see from his feedback that our villian only sells bike parts and never seems to buy them, which should ring alarm bells.

He also seems fond of buying ignition barrels for scooters.

ben
    Free Member

Didn't expect to return home from a weekend away to a hundred+ posts..

Thanks for all the replies. Just to clear up the eBay questions regarding my bike, do you really think that the top bidder was an innocent eBay user? We did, believe it or not, have that covered!

Here's hoping that some more people are reunited with their bikes including the Trek that was also recovered.

Cheers
    Ben

hora
    Free Member

He also seems fond of buying ignition barrels for scooters

Sometimes violence really is the only answer.

Martin.B
    Free Member

Notice the scumbag has not more items for sale.
    They probably now have another account on eBay or have another route (e.g.Gumtree) to sell

Keep your eyes peeled folks

Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Stolen Bike Recovered!’ is closed to new replies.