Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Still Running Away….
  • crikey
    Free Member

Running away….

So, after being reminded of my advancing age and likely infirmity, Mrs. Crikey said ‘Get a camper van, stupid’…

So, I’m off to the north of Bonnie Scotland for 9 or 10 days in December in a pop top VW thingy. It has a 7 speed DSG gearbox, whatever that may mean.

I’d like to hear your top tips for things not-to-forget to take please; I think I’ve thought of everything but as a chap who forgot to take a sleeping bag once and slept in a tent under a bit of old carpet, indulge me…

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Toothbrush. Toilet roll. Shovel.

BadlyWiredDog

Books / Kindle / podcast device / … also, I find the rock and roll bed in our T5 kills my back, so if you get the chance to try it in advance, do. A mattress topper or sleeping mat you can throw on top of it might be a good call. Pillow, don’t forget a decent pillow. And lots of coffee plus anything you need to make it – depends on your level of obsession. If you’re planning on sleeping in the pop-top bit, a warm sleeping bag – it’s like being in a crap single skin tent ime – and a mat. And maybe some sort of lightweight folding camping chair so you can sit outside if you want. A headtorch. But mostly it’s just like camping but inside a van rather than a tent.

Mildly envious btw, sounds great 🙂

Esme
    Free Member

Hot water bottle

Drac

Spare cylinder head.

CountZero

I think I’ve thought of everything but as a chap who forgot to take a sleeping bag once and slept in a tent under a bit of old carpet, indulge me…

*sigh* I did that once, drove down to South Devon, planned on camping for a week or so, took everything including a small wood stove for boiling a kettle, an axe, chopping block, sleeping mat, tent… but left my nearly new sleeping bag 150 miles away at home.
    First night was spent wrapped in blankets I kept in the boot, next day spent in search of a moderately priced sleeping bag.
    The rest of the nine days I spent were toasty at night.

maccruiskeen

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mobile phone charger/usb cable

jimmy

Mobile phone charger/usb cable

I’d do my best to forget that

cloudnine
    Free Member

Passport.. drive south not north it’s freezing. Southern Spain should be ok. Unless you have a diesel heater it’s going to be very cold in a van.

DickBarton

Probably very wet in southern Europe given the flooding they’ve had recently.

timbog160

Credit card – for nearest hotel with roaring log fire!

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Eberspacher diesel heater.

easily
    Free Member

Head torch.
    Lighter.
    Another lighter.
    A big pack of biscuits for the day when you get to the shops too late to buy food.
    Another pack, ‘cos you’ll eat the first one out of laziness.
    A hat to wear in bed.
    A portable fire pit.
    A multi-tool.
    A towel (see: Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy).

nealglover
    Free Member

An empty Paul Masson wine carafe with the clip on lid 👍

dovebiker

Mrs Dovebiker really suffered the first time in our camper due to firm seats/fold-out bed – mattress topper or even better a Duvalay with thick quilt is luxury. Inflatable pillow. Waterproof boots you can take on and off easily for frequent trips from van to toilet – e.g. short wellies. Don’t worry about the phone charger cable – chances are you’ll have no signal.

crikey
    Free Member

I’ll be taking a number of real pillows, and a couple of wide mouthed cycling bottles so I don’t need trips to the toilet. A fire pit sounds like a great way to wet some wood.

Got Eberspacher heater, got electric fan, got sleeping bags, got socks, got multitools, got lighters, got stuff for cold places.

How about recipes for campervan cuisine?

towzer

Yeah crocs and a poncho are useful if unstylish for a morning wander

Plastic bags to keep wet clothes in

Big decent plastic sheet/tarp so you can keep most of the van dry/clean when you’re wet and muddy

Newspaper – firstly read then insert into wet boots/shoes

Octopus (weird small roundish multi peg washing hanger)

Tin opener, quick heat easy cook meals, insulated mug

Pre researched Paper/local copy of all useful stuff like pubs, hotels, shops, fuel etc etc coz internet will be awol and you might fancy a warm meal/night in a hotel etc

*re internet, if you’re into tv etc do lots of downloads before you go

If you go nw try the crask inn, we liked it.

easily
    Free Member

a couple of wide mouthed cycling bottles so I don’t need trips to the toilet

… and a way of clearly marking them

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Still Running Away….’ is closed to new replies.