Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Steve Jobs RIP
  • flamejob
    Free Member

Like many here I am entrenched in the Apple culture and, though it feels odd to say this about someone who I never met, I’ll miss him.

thebunk

Not part of the Apple culture myself, but he was a huge visionary and has changed the way people use technology, hopefully forever.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Have you seen The Inquirers site:

http://www.theinquirer.net/

a while ago the Opinion on the “No fifth coming for Apple’s Iphone!” story was “Time to bring back Steve Jobs”, but they changed it.

Steve Jobs deserves everyone’s respect for the impact his creativity and thought leadership had on the world.

His legacy will live on through Apple and Pixar and hopefully lots of good causes will benefit from his passing.

R.I.P

Cougar

Paraphrased from the radio this morning,

You know you’ve done alright when being CEO / co-founder of Pixar is third on your list of achievements.

iDave
    Free Member
    clubber
    Free Member

Steve Jobs deserves everyone’s respect for the impact his creativity and thought leadership had on the world.

Yes, absolutely. But, tempered by the way he behaved/treated many people. Same as for many other captains of industry that are rightly disliked for their behaviour/attidudes.

RIP – no doubt Apple won’t be the same without him.

CountZero

I was going to start a thread last night when I heard, but didn’t bother. Having heard there was another that got pulled because of the negativity I’m glad I didn’t. There are many quotes and comments on here though that express things about Steve and his impact on the world far better than I ever could, so all I’ll add is rest free of pain now Steve, you’ve left the world a better place for millions of people, but a poorer place for your passing.

footflaps

There are not many people like him in the world – great loss.

codybrennan
    Free Member

user@user-macbook-0001:~$exit

There are stopped jobs.

user@user-macbook-0001:~$jobs

user@user-macbook-0001:~$ [2011] – Stopped steven_p

user@user-macbook-0001:~$<ctrl-z>

chewkw
    Free Member

RIP

Steve Jobs

😐

p/s: my niece & nephew recently bought an iMac, MacBook Pro & Airport Extreme … not to mention iPhone & iPod Touch …

molgrips
    Free Member

Are we allowed to talk about his innovations on this thread?

Undoubtedly his business skill and vision was great, but how much of the technical innovation was his? I know that Apple did not invent the mouse and GUI.

mcboo
    Free Member

I heard the news this morning on Radio 4……actually live via iPlayer on an iPad. nuff said.

Mark

I think we should leave this thread to the RIP messages..

If you want to discuss issues around him or Apple in general then please start a new thread.

If it was me though, I’d respectfully wait a few days before I did.

philconsequence
    Free Member

mark +1

the man died at a young age of cancer, no matter what… that sucks. RIP

thepurist

@molgripsTime called him ‘Technology’s Great Reinventor’ in their obituary which I think is quite apt. He’s certainly left his mark though, which is more than most of us will achieve. RIP.

molgrips
    Free Member

As you wish.

I have no desire to diss the man, and it always sucks to die young.

Rio

Not unexpected given his health issues but I was still shocked to hear the news this morning. I doubt we’ll ever see the likes of him again in the IT/consumer electronics industry. He will be missed.

RIP.

blades2000
    Free Member

I’m not a huge apple fan however I was stunned to realise how much he has brought to the world that we take for granted. RIP Steve

from Lance Armstrongs twitter feed

?”A computer is the most remarkable tool that we’ve ever come up with. It’s a bicycle for our minds.” – Steve Jobs

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

iSad

eyerideit
    Free Member

Bye Steve, thanks for everything. Doesn’t matter if you like SJ/Apple or not we’d not be where we are today without his brand of magic.

yossarian
    Free Member

whether you ‘like’ apple or not, his contribution to our society is undeniable.

Last winter I was sat on a bus watching england wrap up victory in one of the ashes tests. There was an old geezer sat behind me who asked me what the cricket score was. I passed him my iphone and his mouth just dropped open. He told me that when he was a kid he had to wait til the papers came out to read about the ashes tours down under.

ransos
    Free Member

“Undoubtedly his business skill and vision was great, but how much of the technical innovation was his? I know that Apple did not invent the mouse and GUI.”

He didn’t invent the mp3 player or touch-screen phone, but he took those inventions and made them into products people actually wanted to use. That’s an innovation in itself, in my book. Anyway, he died far too youg. RIP.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think (having read a bit just today) his main skill was pushing his vision. I think that got him into trouble a few times but the successful ones were tremendous.

Would consumer technology be where it is today without him?

GrahamS

Would consumer technology be where it is today without him?

Smartphones before iPhone:

Smartphones after iPhone:

Tablets:

(Pics from redmondpie)

The influence of Apple and Jobs is undeniable, even if you don’t actually use Appley stuff.

Thanks Steve. Rest up.

grantus
    Free Member

From the Telegraph obituary,

“working for him was like riding the hero-shithead rollercoaster.”

class – think i’ll use that in future

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Undeniably, he was a man of vision, driven to make his company’s products the best, the most popular, the most user-friendly and non-geeky in the world. (Of course “best” really rather depends on the opinions, and often pre-conceptions of those buying and using the products.)

Like many other driven men, he was probably a nightmare to work for, had unbelievably unrealistic expectations of those who worked for him, saw beyond the end of his nose all the time, and pushed lots of peoples’ wrong buttons. He probably phoned his employees at eleven o’clock in the evening, texted them at six o’clock in the morning and berated them for not achieving set targets.

Guys like him only come along once in a generation. I know I’m certainly not like him nor have I seen any evidence of anyone like him on STW – I struggle to see where my own business is going in six months time. And this probably frustrates some losers that just want to bash their keyboards in mock indignation and a mad rush to put down the achievements of “successful” people. So while you’re bashing away on your keyboard feverishly trying to kick people when they’re down (or worse) out, wallow in the malcontented knowledge, that you’ll probably do ****-all to be remembered by anyone other than your nearest and dearest a few years after you’re six feet under.

rewski
    Free Member

Nice elegy DD, you been on the gin?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆

Not quite rewski.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Rip 🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Understated and apt tribute on the Apple home page I think

http://www.apple.com/uk/

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Guys like him and Bill Gates and Bill Joy only come along once in a generation.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Of course Charlie, and many others too I suppose, now that you mention it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yes, they were all unique in the same way

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just like you Charlie. Unique, in their own way.

clubber
    Free Member

Just to stop it all being so po faced…

DD writes for the dailymash and I claim my £5

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

DD writes for the dailymash and I claim my £5

😆

I was waiting for you or G-S to spot that one. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d put Bill Gates in the same category as Jobs. Excellent and canny business people.

crikey
    Free Member

Bill Gates would appear to be winning the philanthropy contest too, but let’s not interrupt the outpouring of grief for a rich man who made some stuff that people want.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Steve Jobs RIP’ is closed to new replies.