Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Steve Jobs RIP
  • Cougar

Tributes here only please, take negative comments elsewhere.

I was never a particular fan of Apple products personally, but they’ve undeniably been home computing innovators whether you consider the modern-day behemoth of the iPhone or a teenage Jobs and Woz sitting in a garage with a wire-wrapping tool.

Sad news and the end of an era. RIP Steve.

spacemonkey

Amen.

Unfortunately don’t see this thread surviving much longer than the previous one.

allthepies
    Free Member

He had quite some life with huge success from both Apple and Pixar. A marmite personality but no-one can doubt the massive influence he brought to Apple and everything they did.

RiP Steve.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yep. Whilst I’m far from an Apple fan it’s sad news. Apparently this is a video showing a product the former CEO John Sculley designed. Pretty cool to see it’s pretty much a reality now (not that it’s something I would want/need but that’s not for this thread).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRH8eimU_20[/video]

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Not necessarily a nice person – and perhaps some of the more controlling aspects of his company have been unattractive… BUT he has definitely been a huge influence on film, telephony, the music industry and personal computing in the last 30 years, and positively shaped our expectations of functionality and design of the electronics we interact with.

Sad that there was so much pathetic hating by a few twits on the previous thread – nice action by the mods.

RIP

cranberry
    Free Member

His obituary in The Telegraph makes for interesting and informative reading.

hora
    Free Member

RIP. Worked hard and suffered continual ill health. RIP.

bazzer
    Free Member

Even though I knew he had been ill, still quite shocked me when I heard it on the news this morning on the way to work.

An icon of a man !!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

R.I.P.

I guess an Apple a day doesn’t keep the doctor away.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Other people did the the innovating Jobs built the semi-monopolistic corporation.

that is rubbish I am afraid – you are thinking of microsoft.

Steve was in charge of the apple division that developed the Mac and the Lisa, and the modern mac today has large influences from the Next platform, which was Apples largest purchase and was a company started by Jobs when he left Apple previously.

The mac may have derived strongly from original work by Xerox though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I must admit I wouldn’t wish I’ll health like that on my worst enemy.

Not many people leave a legacy behind like Jobs does, but it’s still too young to die

RIP Steve Jobs

NZCol

My brother worked with him directly until last year – said he was quite inspirational and rough edge only due to extreme demands for quality bordering on perfection. Definite legend in that he brought together functionality and technology into something tactile. Brilliant ideas.

Edukator
    Free Member

So long as the link to the Telegraph article stays I will make no further contributions to these RIP Jobs threads.

rickmeister

+1 Bazzer, Quite a shock on the news today… condolences….

iDave
    Free Member

He did want he wanted, which I admire. Good on him. RIP etc.

aracer
    Free Member

Oh dear – the snipers really came out on an RIP thread?

As I said on the last one, whatever you might think of Apple and its products, he was a visionary and the world is a poorer place without him. A certain little known industry insider said:

For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it’s been an insanely great honour. I will miss Steve immensely.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mods, pleeeease keep the link to the telegraph obit.

Hanky

Just heard the first part of this on R4:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true. 

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. – Steve Jobs

RIP

mrmo
    Free Member

match post
    RIP

hora
    Free Member

Agree with deadlydarcy. It doesn’t detract from his achievements but shows a complete picture of him.

CaptJon
    Free Member

RiP

binners

A true visionary.

I’m sure if Johnathon Ives had been working for IBM, or Dell or HP, someone without the character of Steve Jobs at the helm, then maybe some of the products we now regard as so important and influential, would never have seen the light of day

RIP

M6TTF
    Free Member

legend in his own right – i’ll miss his enthusiasm

hora
    Free Member

Computers were crying out for years to be more of a personal item/better looking packaging. I’ve always admired Mac’s desktops freshness. The internal (hardrive/guts) aren’t exactly revolutionary – my G4 ibook had a Toshiba hard drive.

His genius (for me) was to spot and exploit the huge market for packaging.

Alcopop
    Free Member

As above new he was quite unwell but it still came as a shock
    sad news indeed

RustyMac

RIP Steve Jobs

Just descioverd he was born on the same day as me and has died exactly twice my age. A definate visionary and the world is a poorer place without him.

derekrides
    Free Member

Well I’m sad today upon hearing this news. This man certainly enriched the course of my life, obviously not alone from Wosniac in the early days to Jonathan Ive more recently, but he was the Lynchpin, the man that made it all happen.
    From the moment I first saw they’re little Mac Classic hitched up to a laser imagesetter, I must have owned pretty much everything they built from the iicx to my xserves, they were not the originators, I owned a windows device with infra red mouse and cordless keyboard built by the Scottish company Apricot two years prior to Apple and the man that set computing back ten years, Gates and Windoze.

But Jobs didn’t just change computers, Pixar studios brought joy to millions, today the world is a lessor place without the guy.

O.K. so life will carry on and there are many other gifted people that will continue the tradition.

Job was cool, I’ll miss him, funny I just cancelled my sub to Macuser mag only yesterday thinking there’s not much more they can do for me now, the Jobs done.

RIP Steve I’m grateful for your presence in my world.

tails
    Free Member

Between himself and Bill Gates they changed personal computing. They have had a big influence on your life, in years to come they’ll be spoke of alongside all these great mathematicians, scientists, astronomers etc.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Sad Loss, as is any death. However, his vision and delivery were inspirational. His company certainly changed the way we listen to music.

camo16
    Free Member

Incredible guy. RIP.

psling
    Free Member

Just descioverd he was born on the same day as me and has died exactly twice my age

Is that some sort of binary phenomenon ❓ 🙂

convert

Was one of a select group of individuals that transcended the divide of talking both the language of the “geek” (technical necessities of electronics and computing) and the needs and wants of human interaction and aesthetic pleasure.

Could others have stepped up and done the job if he was not there to do it? Probably, but he was there and he did it and for that deserves his place in history not just for what he and his company did but also for what they have done both in driving the whole sector forward and raising user expectations.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Sad to hear of his passing – one of those people who, for better or worse, has changed the way life is lived in the West.

It’s also quite unnerving to see how many mean-spirited people feel the need to post negative comments; they seem unaware that their lack of grace says far more about them than it does about Steve Jobs.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Shame, things at Apple will never be the same. RIP

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

To paraphrase Hannibal Lecter “The world was a more interesting place with him in it”

I think this is a fitting tribute – magazine front covers with him on them.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

for anyone not seen his Stanford commencement speech, powerful stuff….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I assume the other thread was pulled.

As I said over there;
    Sad news for his friends and family.

allthegear
    Free Member

As used on adverts in the Think Different campaign…

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes.
    The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them.
    About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire. They push the human race forward.
    Maybe they have to be crazy.
    How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art? Or sit in silence and hear a song that’s never been written? Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels?
    We make tools for these kinds of people.
    While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Whether you like what he did or not, Steve Jobs changed the World…

Rachel

chipps

At Singletrack, I think we own nearly one of everything Apple makes – and I’ve bought Mac laptops since I started as a journo in 1994. R.I.P.

willard

I’m stunned that he kept working pretty much right up until the end. A very sad loss to the industry.

RIP.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Steve Jobs RIP’ is closed to new replies.