Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Stephen Lawrence
  • taxi25
    Free Member

The Juries out and my feelings are that Dobson and Norris will be convicted. But its not a hugely strong case against them is it ?
    If you were on the jury, with what was put before you wich way would you go.

Basil

Not or ever will do jury service, so no previous experience but since the media convicted these people years ago how do you ignor everthing apart from the evidence presented in the court room? Seems very difficult to prosecute after such public conjecture.

steveo48
    Free Member

Seems odd seeing my full name all over the place! News on tv, papers and now a forum that I visit often. Shames its bad circumstances.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hmm, I’m thinking they might get acquitted. Dunno why, just got a feeling they will, somehow.

I hope Justice is served, is all.

Swelper
    Free Member

Not or ever will do jury service

One is legally bound to attend jury service if summoned, only if exceptional personal circumstances dictate then one can opt out, even then this can be overturned

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/legal-system/jury-service.htm

Swelper
    Free Member

From what i have seen on the news, Im with Elf on this one

Pigface
    Free Member

Yep think they will get off, I think the defence has rubished the police handling of the evidence enough to put doubt into the mind of the jury.

Somebody will get away with murder, a tragedy.

lazybike
    Free Member

One is legally bound to attend jury service if summoned, write back and tell them you have strong views on race, homosexuality….etc, they’ll probably leave you alone….

ps how do you use the quote thing… 😳

KennySenior
    Free Member

Perhaps Basil has been a very naughty boy and isn’t allowed to do jury service?

KennySenior
    Free Member

Actually, if you check out his profile, he’s a dog,

Swelper
    Free Member

hit “quote” paste quotation then hit quote again

LOL yeah, could be a bad boy

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Purely on the basis of the fact that hundreds of years of legal convention, and a fundamental tenet of the law and our constitution has been eroded just to prosecute these two, I hope they get acquitted, whether guilty or not!

lazybike
    Free Member

hit “quote” paste quotation then hit quote again

thank you swelper….

DenDennis
    Free Member

I hope they go down for it, just remembering the attitude of the swaggering low-lifes coming out of court when they got off first time round.
    I think the judge wants them down as well. he is allowing the jury to take on board videos of them talking about wanting to stab black peoples for a laugh.

allthepies
    Free Member

I think at least one of the pair will go daaaarn.

totalshell

i think that theres every reason to belkieve that these two upsatnding citizens probably were involved.. whether i’d convict or not i couldnt say unless in the jury and had to make the call

Basil

I also thought the judges lack of direction in his summing up to be an indication of bias towards conviction.

Pigface
    Free Member

Zulu care to explain please.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve no idea where they found an impartial jury !!! I remember Britains biggest selling daily, putting their pictures on the front page with the headline calling them murders sue us if you dare. I’ve spent the last 16/17 years being told off their guilt.

Junkyard
    Free Member

surely the main tenant of justice is to bring the guilty to justice even when hampered by a racist and incompetent police force?

Steven Lawrence deserves some justice for this sensless racist attack and I hope he and his family get some.

allthepies
    Free Member

Steven

Stephen 🙂

MSP

If they do go down, I hope they are guilty, and vice versa.

deluded
    Free Member

Purely on the basis of the fact that hundreds of years of legal convention, and a fundamental tenet of the law and our constitution has been eroded just to prosecute these two

Z11 – are you referring to the double jeopardy rule that was repealed under the Criminal Justice Act 2003?

There have been hundreds of years of many things that I’m happy to do without. The abolition of that rule has lead to a number of convictions and seen justice served.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Deluded – yes, double Jeopardy, and the repeal came directly out of a recommendations in the Macpherson report into the Lawrence killing.

I simply think that rewriting one of the foundations of your constitution and law based up one one case is a very, very dangerous road to go down – especially where in reality the original trial should never have happened on the evidence – you’ll recall that it was originally a private prosecution case…

It has subsequently lead to a precedent where we’ve seen mission creep leading to the loss of right to trial by jury, the effective repeal of habeas corpus and laws permitting imprisonment without trial, and evidence obtained through torture being presented to the courts in a pretty fundamental recasting of our constitutional rights, all because of the precedent set by this case…

crankboy
    Free Member

Given the jury are out it is perhaps best not to speculate about their verdict on a public forum.

Pigface
    Free Member

But arent laws made on a single case depending on the decision then a precedent is made. I hvae no problem with the double jeopardy thing.

If a case is so complicated and long ie fraud cases then again no problem with doing away with a jury.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yeah,they should have tortured the racist feckers!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

`Zulu it has not lead to all you say these have also happened but there is no causality involved.
    trial by jury has been reduced due to complicated fraud cases collapsing and pure cost iirc – it has nothing to do with lawrence or double jeopardy
    In reality would it matter if they were tried for the offence or perjury and perverting the course of justice as say the noble Lord Archer was when he was effectively tried for the same thing twice.
    Why not just convict him/them whomever of what he/they did originally?

loddrik
    Free Member

I think they will be and there will be pressure to do so, i have a feeling that if this were not such a high profile racism case with all the baggage that has gone before tgen they’d have gotten off. Im sure there will be another huge outcry if they get off and they’ll find another reason to try them again further down the line.

hora
    Free Member

I’m not party to the facts. Only the media reporting however I feel they might be the black and white wording of ‘reasonable doubt’.

Question, why are only two charged this time?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not party to the facts.

That’s unusual for you hora. Immagonna guess it’s not going to stop you having an opinion on it. It’s just a bit of autistic reporting by the beeb isn’t it though?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you stole the black and white reference from another forum /twitter didnt you as even you are not that bright or , despite your best efforts to appear so online, that daft as use it

hora
    Free Member

If you apply ‘reasonable doubt’ to the letter (as a Jury). The defences argument on contamination, shared room for storing evidence, etc etc may place doubt in one or more Juror? If directed to find not guilty if unsure etc etc. Tbh the facts ‘reported’ came across as an attempt to fog Jurors on the reasonable doubt question.

Question- why only two charged this time? Fibres and blood- only theirs found linking them?

Edit- its not my topic. I’m not going down that road on someone elses. Back ontopic please 🙂 (or spoil the c456 one as question answered!)

deluded
    Free Member

Z-11,

What evidence do you have for the assertions expressed in your last paragraph – not too sure I’d go along with all that!

I viewed it as a ludicrous judicial anachronism that needed to be removed – having no place in modern English law. The lawmakers at that time could not have conceived of the advances that would come about in relation to investigative techniques and forensic evidence, which can surface subsequent to a persons acquittal etc.

An example – http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/press_releases/145-10/

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Tbh the facts ‘reported’ came across as an attempt to fog Jurors on the reasonable doubt question.

Jurors shouldn’t be reading what the media report about this case on the internet! So who knows.

hora
    Free Member

Good point. They were directed not to carry out any research outside the courtroom.

My viewpoint is skewered by what the media reported about the defences argument. So I have almost (hopefully) a parallel world view on the case. (Skewered to make good copy/anger readers)

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

ludicrous judicial anachronism that needed to be removed

You could say that about the right of the jury to return a perverse verdict of not guilty – what possible lessons could 340 year old examples like Bushel’s Case have for us today with a democratically elected government and all that?

but then we get cases involving peace campaigners and environmentalists, and official secrets acts being broken, and perverse verdicts being returned, and you think “whoa, wait a minute, maybe there are lessons there after all1”

All I’m saying, is that you mess around with the tenets of constitutional law at your peril!

Right to trial by jury itself could easily be argued to be an anachronism, now we’ve lost it in “complex fraud cases” where next? what other cases don’t need a jury? Terrorist cases maybe? A jury cannot be trusted with all that sensitive secret information, and so the canker spreads…

The lessons of history are there for us to learn from!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDBiLT3LASk&feature=related[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Thing is though, the Law must reflect the times in which we live, and evolve according to the technologies/science we have available to us for gathering evidence and stuff. There are cases where sufficient technology needed to gather evidence required to convict a person was not available at the time of their trial, but subsequently became available.

Should a guilty person walk free, if it transpires later that there is in fact substantial evidence against them? I don’t think so.

Trouble with this case, is the monumental screw up the first ‘trial’ was. I think it’s in the interests of Justice these two at least are back on trial.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

i hope they get acquitted, whether guilty or not!

Then yor stooopid

BermBandit
    Free Member

Suffice to say that a promise was made by a certain Assistant Commissioner at the time of the original case. He was well aware of how badly a certain Police Force had let down a certain family due to lack of diligence, perhaps competence,(but definitely not due to racism). At the time said Assistant Police Commissioner let certain people who were only able to walk away due to said Police failings, know that whatever else happened he and the force who had failed said family would never give up and would constantly seek justice for said family for the rest of their lives.

Hoorah, for justice, common sense, and fair play. IF the twunts get off here’s to the next time we see them in court regardless of the reason. Here’s hoping they and their ilk never get to sleep easy, and that never again will such things be allowed to go unpunished.

(GMP We are watching you!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Stephen Lawrence’ is closed to new replies.