Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stem steerer shim?
  • messengerman
    Free Member

I’m looking to use a stem intended for a 1.5 steerer with an 1.1/8 steerer fork. Is there a shim anyone knows of that’ll do this. Google’s not throwing anything up that’s useful.  T!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think I’d probably try and get the right size stem, I quite like my teeth as they are!

I’ve had a look at SJS Cycles, but can only see 1″ – 1 1/8″ adaptors.

philjunior
    Free Member

1.5″ to 1.125″ would be quite a thick shim, so might not allow the stem to clamp up properly.

There used to be plenty of 1″ to 1.125″ shims, but they are quite thin/flexible.

otsdr
    Free Member

Syntace used to make one, but it was only for stems with a clamp taller than 54mm (i.e. their VRO stem)

hols2
    Free Member

1.5″ to 1.125″ would be quite a thick shim, so might not allow the stem to clamp up properly.

If the shim is a tight fit on the steerer, it should be fine because the clamping forces will be transferred directly without needing to compress the shim.

I would still just buy the right size stem though.

kayla1
    Free Member

We’ll make one if you want, I had one on a GT Fueler BMX for a bit and it was fine.

charlielightamatch
    Free Member

I’m all for reusing stuff but you can pick up 1.125” stems for peanuts so hardly seems worth it.

sarawak
    Free Member

Back in the days of my youth, Coca Cola cans were frequently cut open to provide seat post shims.

Want a thicker shim? Just use two layers.

If you want to be really cool, use Diet Coke!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stem steerer shim?’ is closed to new replies.