Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Steel, road, winter, rim brake frame £500ish
  • howarthp

Hi all

Asking for someone else as it’s not a type of bike I know well.

Other than Genesis and Condor what else would you look at?

It’s for winter road miles and ideally would take 28mm tyres.

Thanks

peteimpreza

Ribble

howarthp

Great ideas – thanks both

neila
    footflaps

Planet-x normally have steel road bikes eg Il Pompino, London Road etc

finbar
    Free Member

For that money I’d look for a lovely old Mercian or similar from eBay.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Surly will have something as well. But for the money I’d just look for something old and fun, you could get a Mirage for that money.

neila

I was thinking the same, a used Mercian would be lovely. Planet X are showing no steel frames which is a shame as the Holdsworths they had a while back looked great for the money.

slowol

In the spirit of recommend what you’ve got I was going to say Arthur Caygill but in ready built there are only touring steel frames or various alloy captions on his website. My old 653 audax bike was old when I got it and still going well, or will be once I put it back together.
    https://www.arthurcaygillcycles.co.uk/items-for-sale/category/frames

Otherwise Thorn Audax frames we’re always said to be good off the peg frames. That still have some rim braked ones in stock although it looks as though picking size and colour may be harder.
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-audax-frames/

Other options above also look good. Too much choice there!

kilo

Thorn audax are designed with the most ridiculous head tube / spacer arrangement. That alone would put me off them.
    Slightly over budget but bob Jackson otp frames, but your friend will need to get in quick as they’re apparently closing for good in December

squirrelking
    Free Member

bob Jackson otp frames, but your friend will need to get in quick as they’re apparently closing for good in December

Really? Balls, I know f all about road bikes really but I know Bob Jackson. I’d like to imagine some underling is ready to pick up the torch though.

didnthurt

Buy a second hand Ritchey Logic frameset. I’ve had mine since 2015, it is a fantastic frameset.

I’ve had a few other steel (as well as aluminum) road and cross/gravel framesets but none of them come close to the ride quality of my Ritchey.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Steel, road, winter, rim brake frame £500ish’ is closed to new replies.