• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by ahsat.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Steel gravel content (belated new bike day!)
  • ahsat

Having asked for some input over the last few months on a new gravel bike, I thought I better post the final outcome (its already muddy and I don’t have photos shiny enough for a front-page piece). Looked at the Camino’s (esp the Ti) but due to the lack of stock and my need for something annoyingly different, I ended up ordering a Niner RLT 9 Steel frameset from Stage 1 cycles (who have been great to deal with). Lucked out that not many people need a 53 cm, and got it pretty quickly. Frameset is nice (853 with carbon fork), with some really cool little details. The gold decals took a bit of getting used too, but now its built up I like them.

Cockpit, saddle, seat post, rear mech and cranks came off my old Rose cx bike. Added Mavic Allroad wheelset as my old wheels were heavy and rubbish tubeless. Needed to go flat-mount on the rear brake so swapped the Ultegra calipers for the Hope RX4+ (which weren’t as bad to set up as everyone said), plus new chain and cassette (wanted to change to 11-34). Upgraded to a R8100 front mech for tyre clearance (and needed to buy a collar for the old mech). Downside is its a PF BB, but Stage 1 have fitted a Hope for me, and lets see how it goes!

Took it for a ride home from work the day after I finished taping the bars, and then straight over Salters Fell this weekend. Front end is very noticeably better than my old Rose cx – think a combination of the much better quality fork, and the wider and tubeless tyres. Bring on more gravelling adventures!

ahsat

Izzy wizzy….

thepodge
    Free Member

I have the alu version and it is by far the best bike I have ever owned.

matt_outandabout

That wall needs a strip and repaint with limewash IMO.

Sweet ride. 👌

Bregante

Very nice OP

I also have the Alu version and as thepodge says, they are fantastic bikes.

RustySpanner

Delightful. 🙂

ahsat

That wall needs a strip and repaint with limewash IMO.

In an ideal world it needs fully tanking and making into a shiny workshop. But we keep spending our money on bikes…

Thanks all. Good to hear good tails of other Niner RLT’s.

jameso

Nice bike. Nice road.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Nice bike, enjoy!

What’s the max tyre clearance and what size are those (Gravel King SKs?)?

brads
    Free Member

That’s Bonny. I like that

sandboy

I really like that!!

ahsat

What’s the max tyre clearance and what size are those (Gravel King SKs?)?

Max clearance for 700c is 50 mm front and rear (2.0” for 650b). Those Gravel Kings SKs are 43 mm. There is a huge amount of clearance esp around the seat stays, but the limiting factor will be at the bottom bracket but I don’t see any issue getting a 50 in there.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

700x50mm isn’t bad at all for a gravel, I’ve been using a 50mm Schwalbe Century on the rear of my commuter hybrid (Voodoo Marasa) and the extra volume makes a world of comfort difference. I was surprised to see the Gravelking SK does come in a 700×50 option.

MoreCashThanDash

*adds to imaginary future bike list*

ahsat

I was coming from 35/38s, so a 50 felt a big step up hence the 43s. And I have a luxury of a good xc hardtail. However I am definitely tempted if we do gravel bike packing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Steel gravel content (belated new bike day!)’ is closed to new replies.