Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Steel Do-it-All/Gravel/Commuter bike with singlespeed-ability?
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Toying with idea of converting my Charge Plug 3 into single speed by ordering some sliding or rocker dropout and giving it to frame builder for conversion.

However once you will add cost of dropouts, work and re-spray it mounts to pretty sizable sum.

So started thinking maybe whole bike/frame will be better option, if not much more expensive than current frame conversion.

I’d rather go with steel than any other material, but research proved to be a bit unsuccessful.

There is Salsa Marrakesh – head tube is very short as for my likings, Soma Wolverine, Singular Peregrine – only if you are lucky to have a shot on second hand one, Genesis Day One with track ends, not ideal but ok-ish… Same with Surly Straggler and head tube length again is an issue. Similar story with Octane Kode.
    Other Salsas like Vaya or Fargo are too much for my needs.

Did I missed anything significant and matching?

Cheers!
    I.

lucky7500

Brother Cycles Big Bro and Meteh would probably fit the bill.

I don’t have one but really like the look of them.

ton

surly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Omit the steel and new requirements and look for a secondhand Plug SS Disc with the EBB (or the pink Grinduro version)? I love my rim braked version, yes it’s stiff, but with 38mm tyres it’s stiff in a good way. Even the alloy fork isn’t that noticeable, mine came with some bontranger alloy bars that’s enough to give it the edge over my CAADX with full carbon fork but OEM bars.

I asked charge and it’s a 135mm rear end and the dropout is the same as the geared version so a swap of the mech hanger and it’ll take gears.

Or the Arkose SS.

Or just run a tensioner on any geared frame.

Bez

I’ve often looked for similar stuff, and being off the top of most geometry sheets makes the choice oven more sparse. In the end I’ve lined up a frame which isn’t singlespeedable without a tensioner but ticks all my other boxes.

I don’t like the aesthetics or the fundamental “it’s just not proper” nature of a tensioner, but I’ve used them for several years for MTBing and urban commuting, and I have to confess that I’ve had basically zero problems (plus there are small benefits: no need for tugs, no need to adjust for chain wear, etc). If you’ve got a frame that you like then it may be worth a second thought about whether gambling on a new frame is worth it just to avoid a tensioner.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

I won’t mid second hand, no issues with that.

I would rather stay steel. Definitely no rim brakes. I prefer stopping without praying to all possible Gods when wet xD

Tensioner is a last resort. Don’t like them. Looking ugly. Definitely nowhere near as sexy as Salsa’s rocker dropouts.

Surly already mentioned, they all suffer with short head tubes. And track ends instead of rockers/sliders.

Big Bro is much too much for my needs, other one might cut the mustard… But is that again track ends?

Cotic Roadrat and Escapade as another option with track ends…

Cheers!
    I.

nedrapier

Genesis Day One is worth keeping an eye out for is you’re looking in s/h places.

scud
    Free Member

Nothing much to add except that if you can find a Singular Peregrine they are ace, i love mine, i have a beautiful ti Reilly Gradient with gears and a SS Peregrine, and time and time again i pull the Peregrine out of the garage, apart from toe overlap with front wheel, it rides really well and that skinny quality steel frame is so comfy. Plus any event i ride on it, people comment on it.

Have you looked at the Bombtrack and All City ranges too, they do a few.

I had one of the purple Singlespeed Charge Plug Grinduro for a few months, rode well, had great TRP hydraulic brakes on, but the cheap EBB constantly slipped and the chainring and freewheel were made of cheese, the chainring was badly worn within 400 miles of winter use. Then the EBB slipped badly one day, moved to the side and crank arm took a large chunk out of side of the BB shell. shame really as i sent it back and they had no more in stock to replace it, they did say they’d a lot of comments about the EBB though.

stumpy01

Dunno what your budget is, but The Light Blue Robinson V2 seems to do most/all things you require…

steel
    described as: Ideal for light touring, commuting, sportive or gravel builds.
    Switchable dropouts for geared or single speed

epicyclo

Import one of these from Oz. $800 there.

Dickyboy

If you’ve already got a frame you really like, I’d suggest you stick with it. #whydidisellmyswift 😒

Bigmantrials

I really liked the look of the Pipedream ALICE, but not sure whats happening as the website doesn’t show much stock. But that was a steel frame/fork with great looking geo and sliding 142 x 12 dropouts.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

If you’ve already got a frame you really like, I’d suggest you stick with it. #whydidisellmyswift 😒

Feeling your pains. Managed to sell Peregrine without even building it few years back then…

Light Blue… Forgot about them… Darwin might tick all the boxes 😀

Epicyclo, what is that one? Can decipher it from the picture you posted…

Cheers!
    I.

Daffy

Niner RLT 9 Steel

isoo
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for a one too, except for fixed gear use, and the If money wasn’t an object -choice, discounting custom options, is

Niner RLT 9 Steel

I’m currently rolling on a Pompino and dreaming on.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just had a quick shufty and there’re about 5x Day Ones on FB marketplace at the minute

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TBH for track ends with a nutted axle, I can’t make mine slip even a little. The only real downside is you can’t run gears without some sort of bodge, and the brake has to be adjusted if you change sprockets (I run a 16t fixed for gravel and 18t SS for cross type riding but that takes 2min to re align).

I had more problems with Salsa Alternators galvaniclly corroding (a one off, could happen to any alloy frame I suppose, the threads on the disk mount just dissapeared, dunno if it was the wrong grease or what).

funkmasterp

Stooge?

epicyclo

IvanMTB

Epicyclo, what is that one?

Malvern Star Heritage Oppy S

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Some good calls Munrobiker, cheers!

Kode is on my initial musing list. Price is very tempting.

Stooge?

LOL!!! Not really mate, can’t see this working as a fast, road commuter. Especially with rather quirky position that is not working for me at all.
    Yes tried it, lovely bike, just not for me in any shape or form.

Malvern Star Heritage Oppy S

Thanks Epicyclo!

At the moment looks like Darwin is leading the pack with Kode following closely with it’s very tempting price mark…

Thanks All!

Cheers!
    I.

TiRed

Singlespeed? Any with a tensioner. Paul Melvin would be my choice of tensioner.

Fixed is a little harder.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Steel Do-it-All/Gravel/Commuter bike with singlespeed-ability?’ is closed to new replies.