• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Digby.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Steel City Spectator tips?
  • cnud
    Free Member

Got a mate racing on Saturday and I’d Like to go and watch. Any tips for car parking and where to stand trackside from those who have been before. Thanks

cyclelife
    Free Member

Only use the official car park £3 or put the race in jeopardy by parking anywhere else.

Track is approx 1.15 mins so easy to walk to find best views. Gap jump at top is good and the big gap near the bottom plus final bomb hole drop.
    Food and beer plus trade stands around finish line.

dashed
    Free Member

Take plenty of noise with you!!!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Tips? Well yes…. (somewhat tongue in cheek,but only a bit)

Keep your dear offspring (if you have any) under control. Just because they may be able to fit between, through or under the tape barriers doesn’t give them a right to be on the course itself. Leaning so hard on the tape that it stretches and eventually snaps, may be equally fun and devious, but causes a similar response.

Please take your sh!t home with you! If you really feel the need to bring a crate of Fosters and litre bottle of flavoured Vodka into the woods with you, you should be sufficiently fortified after consuming it all to carry the empties out again, not just to leave it on the deck for some other poor sod to tidy up. #trashfreetrails

I’d like to think this advice isn’t needed for riders and their families coming to watch, but the level of rubbish left last year was shocking, and I spent a lot of the day repairing tape that had been torn to bits by kids. The “crash zones” around the jump landings shrunk massively as a result.

Yours, A. Marshal.

steveh

As above please use the official event car park off woodhead road above grenoside village, parking anywhere else, road side etc causes us a lot of hassle and puts the future running of the event at risk.

There are good bits to watch at all along the track, there are the popular spots people mention above but some of the other spots will quieter and still fun. You can walk the whole track in not too long and I’d suggest walking down and up and picking a spot or two you like to stand in for a while.

The bombhole area is full of trade stands and there will be some good deals on the day for various stuff from folks down there. 2 bars, 4 food retailers, 2 coffee vans so you’ll not go hungry or thirsty when you get there.

All funds raised from the event go to supporting the trails in greno woods and other mtb projects in the area. No one involved in running the race takes any payment for it. So please buy a tee or some merch, visit the ride sheffield stand and sign up for rad tax and give them a few quid too. This is the reason the race exists.

Most of all have a good day.
    Yours, an organiser.

Also in real life Jon is way less grumpy than he sounds above 😉

cnud
    Free Member

Good stuff thanks for the replies and info, we’ll most of em anyway !

scuttler

Bear in mind (if you have kids) that crashes have the potential to go beyond the tape. Parking is well organised and it’s been dry so should be no issue with parking in the field – follow the signs. Food queues can get busy so eat at an unorthodox time or at least take some snacks for kids if you don’t like queuing although it is around the bomb hole so plenty to watch for those who are waiting for you to get refreshments.

beicmodur
    Free Member

Sights I saw last year… women in heels. Don’t wear heels. It’s a muddy forest.

Bring cash.

Bring £3 exactly for official parking.

cnud
    Free Member

Best time to get there?

fooman

Morning – practice > bit quieter, see more of the course, less queues for food + drink
    Afternoon – racing > more atmosphere, more action, more queues for booze

cnud
    Free Member

Great thanks

kelvin

BRING IT ON!!!

Tracey

And a coat, first riders dropping in after practice

cnud
    Free Member

Thoroughly enjoyed that, great event and seemed well organised. Bought some merch to support the organisers / good causes and a shout out to the mountain rescue doing a sterling job tending to the unlucky riders. Ooft, gas and air please. Top day out, shame I missed Tracey’s post as it was a bit chilly!

Tracey

Just got back after spending ten hours in the woods. Once again the organisers managed to put on a first class event. Big thanks to all involved who made it happen again. The crowd was on fire with all the cheering. Never seen as many smiling faces. Think it must be the South Yorkshire hospitality. 😎

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Aye, good day.

Absolutely Baltic – I’ve worn less kit up proper mountains in mid winter, but a good turn out and some excellent racing. Clearing up was much faster this year, with way less rubbish, so well done the crowd. Still plenty of carnage at the Deathgap, although the worst incident was further up – very glad not to be dealing with either of those (props to Woodhead MRT). Big up our Chloe for pulling out all the stops to beat the mighty T-Mo fair and square! Nice haul for Cotic too…

kelvin

I bought a Steel City hat to show support … would have bought a scarf if they had them … or a blanket … soooo cold.

Thanks to Jon and everyone else who worked their arses of to make a great day.

Digby

@Tracey – congratulations to Abigale on her result

…and top marks to all the organisers and volunteers! a really great event!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Steel City Spectator tips?’ is closed to new replies.