Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Steel City DH – driving route from Edinburgh?
  • TheFlyingOx

On the back of the overtaking thread, I’ve got the opportunity coming up for A LOT of waiting my turn, mind reading and queueing. Heading down to the Steel City DH thing on 4th May, and I’ve got a permission slip off the wife to use the RX7 so I rather fancy something a little more interesting than the usual A1/M18/M1/A57.

Anyone got any suggestions?
    I’ve done the A697 a couple of times, but that still leaves me with 120+ miles of A1 from Morpeth. Is the A68 any good? Any others, particularly from Newcastle-ish down?

Pook

the a68 is teh AWESOMEZ.

mcmoonter
    Free Member
    sandal100

A7-> m6 -> a65 to Leeds then down to Sheffield?

TheFlyingOx

Is the A68 not speed camera central?

Didn’t Top Gear determine speed cameras are only effective up to around 147mph? I’m good for 180ish, so no worries there…

Nah, I’m more after the twisty bits of road that you just don’t get on the normal run down. Had a quick look on Google Maps and now thinking I’ll do A68 as far as I can, then A19, then as close to Huddersfield as possible for the A629. Unless better suggestions arise, of course.

TheFlyingOx

A7-> m6 -> a65

Good shout. Forgot about the A7.

gmex619
    Free Member

180ish in a RX7? Goodluck mate. 😉

br
    Free Member

Most of the A68 ones have ‘disappeared’ 🙂

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-21413646

Take the A7 to Carlisle, the old A6 down until you can cross on the A65 down to Leeds.

Or A68 via Corbridge and join the A1 at Scotch Corner.

xiphon
    Free Member

It’s not a stock RX7 by a long way.

EDIT: Quick Google – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-me-your-sport-cars#post-4475990

TheFlyingOx

Some top level stalking there, xiphon. Good work. Think I’d need a good 3 miles of straight road for that kind of speed though. Maybe I should take in the A15?

tinman66
    Free Member

Always wanted a RX7, awesome car. Unfortunately the ones I tried were a bit cosy and I could only turn the steering wheel if I cut a few inches out of my legs.

Can you get a a bike in?

xiphon
    Free Member

Not a stalker, I remembered it caught my eye in the sports car thread….

One word: BEAST!

(I had to settle for a 200hp TT)

TheFlyingOx

Can you get a a bike in?

Just. Both wheels off, seatpost out, passenger seat as far forward as it goes and tipped forward, and I need a big sponge to stop the bottom of the forks breaking the rear windscreen. There’s been a few surprised folk at Glentress bottom carpark, I can tell you.

You must be pretty tall if you don’t fit though. I’m 6’2″ and it’s no discomfort at all.

One word: BEAST!

😈

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Steel City DH – driving route from Edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.