Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Steel 29er frame?
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Any 853 steel hardtail 29er’s out there, that can run a 120-130mm fork?
    Want a frame only option to build up to my own spec.

boxelder

Obvious, but my Solaris is lovely at 120mm

fudge9202
    Free Member

Should have mentioned, I rode one recently loved the way it climbed but not keen on the descending. Possibly due to not my cockpit setup?

RRD
    Free Member

I have a Singular Buzzard although I’m not sure if it is 853?

Transition Transam looks nice
    Kona Honzo
    Canfield something or other (nimble 9?)

I’m afraid I do not know what tubes are used if you are specifically after 853

Candodavid
    Free Member

2 souls QH or Slim Jim

boxelder

I rode one recently loved the way it climbed but not keen on the descending

Was it at 100 or 120mm?
    Do you ride a 29er already?

Bregante

Can I suggest you have another go on a Solaris properly set up for you?
    I’m not trying to be a smart arse, they’re just bloody brilliant!

fudge9202
    Free Member

Boxelder not sure, it just felt a bit unwieldy.

@ spectibilis love the look and detail on the Sherpa, can it run a 120mm fork?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Bregante what setup do you run?

Bregante

I sold mine last year unfortunately as I only had room for one MTB and wanted a full sus but I ran it with 100 mm Reba’s, Flow Ex’s short stem and wide bars, boggo standard deore kit and it was brilliant.

If I could justify a hardtail to run alongside my Gyro I’d get another one in a heartbeat.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Custom? Matt at 18 bikes will sort you out…

spectabilis
    Free Member

fudge9202 – Member

@ spectibilis love the look and detail on the Sherpa, can it run a 120mm fork?

Pretty sure it can take anything from 80-120….. Nothing on the blurb to that effect but pretty sure that’s the word, drop a mail to Dan to make sure

modig
    Free Member

I was going to say Pipedream Cycles Skookum and provide a link but it seems their web won’t cooperate. I want one of those 🙂

I had a Buzzard (not 853) with both 120 and later a 140 mm fork. Really capable bike and the short rear end made it very easy to maneuver but a bit harsh for general trail riding. Sold it in favour of getting rear squish but ended up missing having a HT so put together an SS Inbred (also not 853) (run it with 120 mm fork). Turned out really nice but probably not what you’re after.

/Johan

Gotama
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a 2souls quarterhorse which, as mentioned above, would fit your request. Other than that I dithered over a Swarf Spline for a while.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Sherpa can run a 120mm yes, rides quite nice too

Rorschach
    Free Member

There’s a new Buzzard coming (But if it’s on Rooster time scale I’d not wait).

cokie

Canfield Bros Nimble 9 is good fun

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Should have mentioned, I rode one recently loved the way it climbed but not keen on the descending. Possibly due to not my cockpit setup?

I ran mine at 120mm and we didn’t get on.

However, I believe running at 100mm fork is meant to change the bike quite significantly (for the better).

letmetalktomark

In a case of recommending what you have etc ….

Whilst running rigid the Sherpa will take a 120mm fork. I have a SID for this when spring finally arrives.

Whilst the spec sheet says it will take a 120mm fork I have found my Skookum to run just fine with a meager 90mm. I would swap out the 90mm for 100mm but probably no more.

I didn’t get on with my Solaris. I should have tried it with a 120mm fork as 100mm just didn’t “feel” enough.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

+1 for 2Souls QH.

Mine with 140 Pikes:

😀

benp1

Solaris owner here, love mine

rockhopperbike

Will you please stop showing the quarter horse – it is on my need list – but have to get the financial committee approval first 🙂 :@

everyone
    Free Member

I keep seeing that lefty on the skookum. Please stop, I already really want to put a lefty on my Ritchey and this doesn’t help!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Ooops!

😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Do like that QH.

SA looks awfully slack tho – that a problem?

letmetalktomark

now stop that ADP 😆

All we need now is for the Curtis to appear …..

letmetalktomark

I keep seeing that lefty on the skookum. Please stop, I already really want to put a lefty on my Ritchey and this doesn’t help!

fudge9202
    Free Member

The Curtis was the first frame I looked at, gorgeous and way more than I want to spend. Love the 2souls but way more capable than me! So left with the Sherpa and the solaris. Like the idea that the solaris can run 27+ rims and tyres if the Sherpa can aswell it will be a difficult choice.

letmetalktomark

I would say there is more room out back on my Sherpa than there was on my Solaris but still only room for a 2.25″ tyre.

If the Solaris can run 650b+ then I would have thought the Sherpa could.

fudge9202
    Free Member

letmetalktomark: what is the sizing like on the Sherpa, I have a large frame bandit as they come up small, I’m 5’10 and it’s a great fit. As the one in one out rule applies with the good lady, I need to sell my bandit.

letmetalktomark

Its a fairly long frame.

Mine is an XL. I’m only 6′ 2” ish but I find I need the longer TT. IIRC ist a wee bit longer in the TT than the Solaris.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

SA looks awfully slack tho – that a problem?

Doesn’t appear to be……

What problem is it likely to cause?

I thought it was designed like that to fit the big wheel in whilst keeping the chainstays short?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I thought it was designed like that to fit the big wheel in whilst keeping the chainstays short?

That would be my guess too. It probably won’t affect things hugely unless you’re running massive amounts of post – it’ll throw the rider weight further back over the rear, potentially affecting climbing (or more specifically front wheel wander).

Out if the saddle the reach will still be the same, so that won’t change.

core

Another option:

Genesis High Latitude (currently not in 853, but older ones might have been?):

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-with-a-genesis-high-latitude

ade9933
    Free Member

Currently building up the Nimble 9. Tested a mate’s for a short ride, nice and fun feeling (I’m not generally a wagon-wheeler).

fudge9202
    Free Member

Right no going back now!
    Bandit Frame, forks and wheels and ancillary parts in the classifieds, see how things go.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Who wants to see my Curtis, I can probably drop a picture of my QH at the same time

vondally
    Free Member

[/url]IMG_20150315_091744225 by vondally, on Flickr[/img]

Ritchey p 29 with 100mm forks next 120mm surprisingly capable

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Oops, my finger slipped.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Steel 29er frame?’ is closed to new replies.