Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • How often do you feed the dog?
  • theotherjonv

Ours is coming up to 2 years old. When she was a pup, she was fed 3 small meals. Then we switched to 2, split equally. Now she seems broadly uninterested in breakfast (it’s not food, she can hear a crisp hitting the floor from 50 yards away and be scoffing it before it’s stopped bouncing)

Time to move to one meal a day?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Far more often than I get to feed the horse

Onzadog
    Free Member

Do you leave her breakfast down all day i take it up after 5 minutes?

theotherjonv

Normally, she’ll eat it reasonably quickly, if she leaves any after 10 mins or so, then we pick it up. Just recently she’s started picking at it more.

No issues otherwise, and it’s not the food – evenings she’ll finish it in seconds.

thegreatape
    Free Member

About 8pm, just once a day, although they are also summoned through at teatime to eat up whatever the children have dropped.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think it depends on the dog/breed. Ours is a working cocker and they are renowned for not really giving a toss about food.
    We put some food down (up to her max/day) when the bowl’s empty and let her eat when she wants. Stuff like brown bread toast, eggs and fish she will eat immediately.
    If we had a lab food would be strictly portioned and fed twice a day.

br
    Free Member

+1 Working Cocker

Ours was the same and so just use to leave it for him, he’d eaten it by the end of the day.

Now we’ve two dogs, and the Spring eats it in an instant, so the Cocker has to 😉

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Ours are fed once a day at around 1900. If they don’t eat it all it gets taken up after about 30 minutes.

theotherjonv

She just reappeared so I offered it again, and she’s eaten it.

Stupid bloody thing.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Is this a euphenism? In which case twice a week if I’m lucky!!

oldnpastit

LOL at tiggs121!

theotherjonv

If it was a euphemism, then my tactic of put it out for her, and if not gobbled in 5 mins take it away again……

Would leave me with an emaciated ‘dog’

scunny
    Free Member

Staff an Am bull. Both fed twice a day at 7 and 19. They both race each other to finish and then stare at the other one til they’re done as well.

carlos
    Free Member

We feed our King Charles twice a day (7am and 6pm ish) each portion is half of his daily allowace, it’s mormally gone within 2mins then he’s mythering for what the cats haven’t eaten, which he doesn’t get. Every couple of nights he gets a chew treat

mattbee

Used to be once a day in the evening, with the odd scrap throughout the day.
    Now he’s on various medications for his slipped disc and arthritis, he gets a small amount at breakfast and lunch times to have with his painkillers etc and the rest in the evening.

Sandwich

Fed a third in the morning and two thirds in the evening. Hoovered up in a flash and the bowl polished with his tongue for 3 minutes or so after the food is gone.

Basil

GWP fed twice a day 7am/5pm
    GWP cross as above.
    But the GWP is the most food obsessed dog ever.The cross just don’t care and we have to lift her food or the other will scoff the lot.

mikemorini
    Free Member

English Pointer here.
    Twice a day plus anything he can scrounge.
    I’ve never had a dog who’s such a bottomless pit.
    He hasn’t got worms and he’s carrying no excess weight, just a greedy guts.

anagallis_arvensis

Our lurcher is fed twice a day. She takes her time over it. If she has other dogs around she eats it straight away.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

If your dog is skinny and needs to get some meat on his bones then feed 2 smaller meals rather than one large one. Something to do with dog metabolism but it works.

grim168
    Free Member

We feed our 4 year old chocolate lab twice a day. Whats this pick it up after 10 mins? for washing the bowl?

xiphon
    Free Member

@grim168

It teaches the to eat when food is presented – after 10min its no longer available, and they might get hungry.

It also reinforces that you are their master, as they can only eat when you permit them to.

tonyd

Working springer/cocker cross, just over a year old. She gets breakfast some time between 7 and 8:30, and dinner at around 19:30. She’s not really that interested in either meal until she’s been out for a walk, or at the very least been out in the garden for a poo.

She does get disinterested with food from time to time though so we change brand/flavour. Maybe yours is a bit bored, but is just really hungry by the evening?

cat69uk
    Free Member

4 year old black lab, twice a day at 7:30 & 5. Gone in under 2 minutes, never left food in its whole life.

cupra
    Free Member

2 lurchers here and they get fed around 8am and 6pm. They get the same base food but we do add bits of fish (sardines / pilchards) and various cooking sauces 3-4nights a weeks to keep it a bit varied for them. I reckon a good 60% of the food appeal to a dog is smell, then 30% is the full stomach feeling with the remaining 10% being actual taste!

DezB
    Free Member

Looks like it depends on the breed. GSP gets one meal a day around 4pm. When she was a puppy, had 2.
    I remember our mongrel back when I was a kid getting one a day around tea-time.

bimster29
    Free Member

6 year old Springer Spaniel and he’s always been focussed on his food. 2 meals per day (over what the packet recommends as he’s walked twice a day) and a few treats.

Food is more sucked out of the bowl and eaten than slowly and delicately consumed. Only beaten by my mate’s Collie!

willard

Ted and Ralph get fed twice a day, first at about half 7, then at about 6pm. It seems to work for them.

Sundayjumper

Twice a day, after we’ve eaten our breakfast / dinner.

Rottie – basically inhales any food that is put in front of her and then has a good go at licking the pattern off the bowl until you tell her to stop.

Akita – not all that bothered, you have to call him to the kitchen but once he gets started he’ll eat it all.

Bowls are put away once they’ve finished.

grim168
    Free Member

@xiphon

Was joking mate. He’s a lab. Food is gone in 30 to 40 seconds lol

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘How often do you feed the dog?’ is closed to new replies.