State of Cwmcarn?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • State of Cwmcarn?
  • marsbarman

Haven’t been to Cwmcarn since it had all the fire. Have the trails been reopened now? And how’s the top of the Twrch trail? There used to be some wicked DH runs to session, last time I was there they were closed for felling I believe.

So, what’s the current state of play?

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Last time I went about a month ago the Twrch was fully open, I think the older downhill was open, but pedalhounds was shut as was Cafell. I think Cafell now has a route that is open but it’s not the full lap as some isnstill closed for logging – I assume pedalhounds is the same.

If you find mtb park ranger on Facebook he updates trail info for Afan and Cwmcarn quite regularly.

Premier Icon fadda
    Subscriber

I was there last weekend, and Joe is right – Twrch fully open, Cafall open but diverted. Don’t know about downhill trails.

Fwiw, the Twrch is riding really well…

jk1980

I went a couple of months ago and did the DH uplift. Not sure what the trails are called, but 1 black open and 1 red (with 2 start options) all of which go through that tunnel at the bottom. Good fun, was running nicely.

Premier Icon dove1
    Subscriber

Mtb Ranger South Wales is the FB account to look at.
    He put a message on yesterday saying they are hopefully going to reinstate Pedal Hounds shortly and are working to get Voodoo and Dragon Run open on Cafall.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

I was there last night.

Cafall is sort of half-open. Unfortunately that means a lot of climbing, 2 descents and it spits you out for a long fire road descent – BUT there’s an option to carry on up the hill and tag into Trwch.

Makes for a great 20k-ish loop.

Twrch itself it fully open and riding beautifully.

If you haven’t been for a while. there’s a lot less trees and a lot more scorched earth.

The original DH got a polish over about a year ago, it’s a not as ‘wheels down’ as it was, especially the bottom 3rd, but it’s very good.

GolfChick

Cheers for that P-Jay, I think we’re going on Sunday for a trail centre option after all the rain and knew about openings and closings but that’s a good tip about carrying on uphill a little and going back into Twrch.

marsbarman

Cheers for the replies all.

Heading up there Wednesday, was hoping it wasn’t going to be a wasted journey.

marksnook

I was planning on going Saturday am, with so much rain the regular fod offpiste is a little on the damp side!
    Cheers for the info. Don’t have Facebook so it’s hard to get updates

taxi25

This is the ride p-jay alluded to. Its a pretty good loop.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/2AwvtjM0tX

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

I’m planning to get up early and go Tom CC to ride for a couple of hours. I like the sound of combining the 2 laps to get around a 20k ride. I’ll check out that Strava link – but at what point on Cafell so you need to split off to get to the top of Twrch?

It’s either that or try and do the reduced Cafell then the whole of Twrch but hat might be too tight on time and I’d prefer not to waste time on a fire road descent.

I have got a Lezyne watch which apparently does turn by turn nav but I think it takes fit files rather than gpx which I’ve not figured out how to do yet.

regenesis

Terpentwys is running very well right now JIC Cwmcarn isn’t working for you.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Terpentwys?

I’m defo doing CC tomorrow as it’s not too muddy even in biblical rain.

That video just makes me want some assistance uphill- going to be a grind tomorrow.

marksnook

I didn’t think terpentwys would be a goer in the wet? That place is ridiculous! Heard Barry sidings still runs real good in the wet too.
    Cwmcarn is an easy option in the wet to be fair

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.