Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Stan's tape
  • snownrock

Cheers for the Tesa PSA, just ordered 66m of 25mm Tesa tape for a tenner. Will return the 10yd of 21mm Stans tape i bought from CRC for £10.99 last week.

D0NK

looks like stans are recommending 27mm tape for 25mm rims now (25mm at the bead “hook” so wider at the base)

anyone else using 27? quick search on ebay no 27mm tesa tape coming up.

Do I have to retape the whole damn thing or will it be OK as long as all the spoke holes are well covered?

I’ve “repaired” holes with a bit of tape, has been fine. The struggle to get tyre on/off is more of a worry, try working on your technique and use normal levers as per a trailside repair. No good levering them on with long DH levers that you don’t carry in your pack.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Stan’s/TESA for me, but I’ve used 3 wraps of electrical tape before and at MTB pressures it lasted as long as the wheel.

pdw
    Free Member

I found a few wraps of electrical tape is OK, unless the tyres are very tight, as they can then snag and tear the tape when unseating them. Have now switched to tesa tape, and even very tight tyres slide over it rather than snagging it.

Daffy

Stans and Tesa tape is a bit of a PITA when it comes to UD Matt carbon rims as the stuff just wont stick. You have to pull the bugger tight until its right around the rim and can stick to itself.

jamiep
    Free Member

Would the Tesa tape be OK for road pressures?

scotroutes

Have now switched to tesa tape, and even very tight tyres slide over it rather than snagging it.

This.

Don’t underestimate the benefits of a low friction surface when trying to mount/remove tyres.

martinhutch

I had to retape in the end – must’ve been some holes too close to spoke holes – went for Gorilla Tape, easier to fit and both went up first time.

The tyres are getting looser as well. Either that or my technique is getting better.

Daffy

jamiep – Member
    Would the Tesa tape be OK for road pressures?

Yes. I’ve got a single wrap running on soome road wheels at 70PSI without problems and a double wrap (just to be sure) running on my Singlespeed at 105PSI.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’ve used Tesa tape, gorilla tape, regular duct tape, electrical tape and Bontrager rhythm strips. For me the Tesa tape was the worst of the lot, too stiff to apply neatly and lifted on one rim and split on another rim. I’ve still got masses of Tesa tape left but have gone back to Gorilla tape or regular duct tape cut down to size. No problems at all with it.

Bonty Rhythm strips are the best by miles in my opinion.

Daffy

Tesa, like Stan’s needs to be pulled VERY tight before being pulled down onto the rim otherwise it does as you said.

kayak23

Applied the Tesa tape the other day. I can confirm that it applies just as horribly as the Stans.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I think the Stans tape is made by Tesa .
    My tip (and this is what I use on U?D carbon rims. Leave the rim and tape on a warm radiator for a few hours.
    use a good alcohol / meths to de-grease the rim then apply the tape as described in the Stans video. It stretches a lot more easily when its that little bit warmer.
    The adhesive grabs a little more too.

Kryton57

Well, a brand new wheel and a double wrap of stand no problem.

An older wheel with stans already applied was stripped, cleaned left to dry indoors… the tape won’t stick to it. I resorted to electrical tape, which has worked well so far (about 4 hours :D) after the tyre went up first time.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

The only problem I have found with using some other tapes, gaffer tape, electrical tape etc.
    Is that after a few months the sealant seems to effect / react the adhesive of the tape and it starts to fall of and go gooey.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Stan's tape’ is closed to new replies.