Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Stan's tape
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

£18?! **** a duck!

silentsi
    Free Member

Just bought some for £10 from the Wigglers.

munkster
    Free Member

Or 66 metres of Tesa stuff off eBay for a tenner?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I know. Cheaper on line etc, lbs purchase cos I needed some. Ah well at least I know the bike shop owner will eat tonight. (Beluga caviar served on unicorn steak) 😈

ogden
    Free Member

I used gorilla tape 1 inch wide £2.30

windyg
    Free Member

Gorilla tape on all my wheels, wasn’t really impressed with Stans nd way over priced.

Kryton57

Gorilla tape really works?

bails

Yep, the 25mm wide roll is perfect (for my unfashionably narrow rims anyway).

whitestone
    Free Member

Gorilla tape does work, I got one of the wide rolls to do my 650b+ rims with; my fat bike rims were done with it when I bought the bike (second hand) and I replaced the Stans tape on one of my Hope wheels with it. Measure the outside rim width, make a short cut to that width and then it tears at that width for as long as you want. Apply, press in firmly and the tape just fits the inside of the rim as the depression in the middle takes up the difference between internal and external rim widths.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Joe’s No Flats system provides a roll with their tubeless conversion kit..

timb34
    Free Member

ENVE used to recommend it for their rims!

Works really well, harder to put a hole in it with a tyre lever (unlike Stans…) but leaves a mess behind if you ever take if off

rickon
    Free Member

TESA tape is exactly the same as Stan’s tape. The same price (£10 for 25mm wide). But… you get this much:

It’ll do about 30 rims, not the four that Stans does.

PSA ebay link: Ebay Link for TESA Tape

windyg
    Free Member

Yep, works really well and so much cheaper.

Kryton57

but leaves a mess behind if you ever take if off

I’m not sure why i’d take it off, does it lift when it gets old like Stans seems to, requiring replacement?

nach
    Free Member

While changing tyres, I’ve had a bead peel gaffer at the edge such that it leaks. A bit of isopropyl on a rag will take the residue off fairly quick, still a pain in the arse though.

Northwind

Kryton57 – Member

I’m not sure why i’d take it off, does it lift when it gets old like Stans seems to, requiring replacement?

Mine went orrible after maybe 9 months or so and started to come off the rim and fray in places. Also, if you need to fix a spoke it has to come off. And when it does, urrrrrgh. So I went back to Tesa. But apparently the clear gorilla doesn’t gum up the same?

andyl
    Free Member

Tried the black gorilla after seeing it recommended on here, then had to remove it…never again. Great duct tape but that’s it.

Tried the Tesa stuff and is it meant to be that stiff? I ended up using a heat gun to soften it and get down on the rim with a minimum amount of bubbles but ended up with giant blisters on both thumbs from the heat of softening it and the friction of rubbing it down.

The clear gorilla does look much better and potentially lighter as the Tesa stuff is quite thick. Maybe I was sold the wrong stuff?

devash
    Free Member

I got some from Superstar Components for about a fiver a roll if I remember.

peepingtom
    Free Member

Electricians tape works perfect , stans is just a rip-off .
    Its for sealing the nipple holes and nothing else ‘theres nothing magical about stans tape’, but im sure some guru will disagree on here .

Northwind

2 wraps of electric tape always worked well for me too (I had a single wrap bust at a spoke hole one time though). But it seemed to lose its stick over time.

andyl – Member

Tried the Tesa stuff and is it meant to be that stiff? I ended up using a heat gun to soften it and get down on the rim with a minimum amount of bubbles but ended up with giant blisters on both thumbs from the heat of softening it and the friction of rubbing it down.

Not my experience anyway- Tesa make loads of differet tapes so maybe it’s the wrong one? I think I got 4289.

eshershore
    Free Member

the problem with electrical tape on its own, is it cannot handle the internal air pressure and starts to depress into the spoke holes, often causing leaks or split in the tape.

I’ve seen this numerous times on customers bikes where they have used it, with failure to seal a puncture, loss of sealant and finding dried up sealant in the rim bed. You have to wrap many times to make the tape stiff enough, and it often starts coming unglued after sealant exposure

when I worked at freeborn (the original stan’s distributor) we sold 100’s of tubeless wheel setups every year – degrease rim with Iso alcohol, couple of wraps of electrical tape to seal the spoke drillings, then quick wipe with Iso again, and wrap some Stans/Roval whatever tubeless tape around to completely seal the rim area. the electrical tape acts as a last defense if the main tape failed/split or leaked

works great. much easier to reapply new stan’s tape if needed.

tillydog
    Free Member

the problem with electrical tape on its own, is it cannot handle the internal air pressure and starts to depress into the spoke holes, often causing leaks or split in the tape

It’s the same with the clear Gorilla tape (Waterproof repair tape) – it needs a normal rim strip underneath (IMHO).

Waterproof duct tape works for me – not as thick as Gorilla tape, and is easy enough to take off if you have to. I do make sure that it’s wide enough to completely fill the rim width, with a little tail sticking up the vertical part of the rim so that the edges are well and truly clamped by the tyre bead – it make it easier to avoid disturbing the tape when changing tyres. (I bought a 100mm wide roll on ebay for about a tenner and slit it to width as required.)

nach
    Free Member

esher shore – Member
    couple of wraps of electrical tape to seal the spoke drillings, then quick wipe with Iso again, and wrap some Stans/Roval whatever tubeless tape around to completely seal the rim area. the electrical tape acts as a last defense if the main tape failed/split or leaked

That’s what I’ve settled on too. I’ve tried it with just electrical tape before, and it sealed, but seemed like a long walk waiting to happen.

One thing I like about gaffer is that you can do a bit of testing then cut a roll down to the exact right width for a given rim. The adhesive degrades fairly fast on the shelf though, so it’ll become useless in a year or two. If I have Stan’s/Tesa in a near enough width, that’s what I’ll reach for first nowadays.

mark90
    Free Member

About to do my first set of tubeless rims…. Would a 25mm roll of tape work for a 27mm ID rim? One wrap or will it need a wrap to each side to completely cover the inner surface, or better to get wider tape and cut to fit?

benp1

I’ve TESA tape’d at least 3 rims, really pleased with it

wwaswas

I tend to just make sure that the tape covers the spoke holes mark90 – it’s often better if it sits flat in the well of the rim rather than climbs too far up the sides – it only tends to get pulled off when you change tyres otherwise.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I use the clear reinforced parcel tape for the first wrap over the spoke holes – a la Stan’s kit, but bought off Ebay, and then any tape to seal. Electrical tape does tend to migrate into the rim bed a bit and doesn’t always like the sealant. I got a massive roll of blue Mavic or some other wheel manufacturer tape from Tredz I think and it’s lasted years.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I found electrical tape fine at MTB pressures, it didn’t like >35psi though as mentioned by others.

Gorilla tape (the duct/gaffa tape variety) just soaked up sealant and eventually peeled off. The waterproof stuff might work better (there’s currently some sealing a hole on my boat so I know it’s waterproof!

mark90
    Free Member

Thanks wwaswas

andyl
    Free Member

Not my experience anyway- Tesa make loads of differet tapes so maybe it’s the wrong one? I think I got 4289.

yeah that is what I ordered.

cookeaa

As an aside, has anyone ever tried ’rICKERS’ or similar.

Individual “Helicopter tape” spoke hole stickers, I sort of like the idea, despite the obvious opportunities for faff.

dufusdip
    Free Member

I’ve had the same issues with gorilla tape soaking up sealant so needed to add more, But the tape started peeling off and it was a right faff to clean up and reapply.

Stans is overpriced, WTB do a tape that used to be cheaper but the price seems to have nudged up alongside gradual acceptance of stans prices.

Thanks to rikon – never knew what the tape type was to look for non branded alternatives. Now purchased!

nach
    Free Member

As an aside, has anyone ever tried ‘rICKERS’ or similar.

I can think of one design enhancement: If there were some kind of connecting material between them, like some sort of strip made of exactly the same material, then you could apply them under tension and reduce the potential points of failure. You could also then keep it on a roll and it would be much quicker to apply. I reckon it’d only add about ten grams per wheel.

martinhutch

Does Stans tape go off? Just tried to tape up a pair of arch ex rims with a roll that’s at least a few years old and there wasn’t any flex in it so it was a bugger to get nicely pushed into the rim bed.

martinhutch

My Stan’s question for today.

After an almighty fight getting a tyre onto, off, then onto the above mentioned arches just now, the casualty list includes four tyre levers, my sanity, knuckles, rim decals and some nicks in the stans tape.

Do I have to retape the whole damn thing or will it be OK as long as all the spoke holes are well covered?

wwaswas

as long as the holes are covered you’ll be ok.

I’d consider what you;d do in the dark if the fluid can’t plug the hole in the tyre if you’re having that much trouble with a tyre/rim combo…

dovebiker

Gorilla Clear Repair tape – been using it for 2+ years on my fatbike and still fine despite multiple tyre changes. Peels-off clean too. Cloth reinforced tape like Duck / Gorilla/gaffer soaks up sealant, comes unstuck and leaves a sticky residue – PITA. The Ebay Tesa stuff is fine, but a bit thicker than normal Stans so best left to warm-up on a radiator to soften before applying.

martinhutch

I’d consider what you;d do in the dark if the fluid can’t plug the hole in the tyre if you’re having that much trouble with a tyre/rim combo…

The thought had crossed my mind. 😥

I’m hoping they’ll loosen up a bit once they’re on and inflated/ridden around a bit.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I’m using the gorilla tape stuff too

yes it is that strong that it attaches to the bead and pulls off as you change a tyre

however at £2.30 a roll and easily accessible at Halfords, I don’t mind at all

so far ive swapped the tyres about 1 time in 3 months, and its stayed up and perfect with the tape, if it pulls off next time with the bead, then ill just re-apply, it takes about 5 mins to clean with IPA and reinstall, and it always sticks down first time every time

so to me the gorilla tape is worth it

swoosh
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack the thread but I put some gorilla tape on last night and I’m not sure if I stretched it enough, it is currently sitting on the ‘hooks’ on the rim (Stan’s 355 rims). Is that going to be ok or should I take it off and start again? Or at least trim a little off the sides of the inside?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Stan's tape’ is closed to new replies.