Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Stainburn – Liked it more than I thought I would !
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The last time I went to Stainburn was many years ago when the Black run had just been completed. At that time I hated it, could barely ride any of it (partly due to it being really greasy)

I went last night, as I pass it most nights on the way home from work. Since I last went loads of work has been done (thank you Singletraction!) I loved the new trails, and tried the black again, ok I still didnt ride probably 50% of it. (my excuse being I ride a Giant Anthem with the post stuck at full XC height, and on skinny XC race tyres) to be honest I dont think my skills will ever get up there to ride alot of the trail sections.

I loved the technical climbs and how the whole thing flows. I also crossed over the road by the mast and found some great single track and decents that were completley dry (very rare up there apparently!)

Completely weird that I only did about 6 miles in 2 hours, but had great fun!

Odly when I checked Strava it was showing no segments at all up there…maybe not such a bad thing 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve not been up there for ages – something I really must change when I get back from hols!

tomhoward

S’good innit!

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I really like the red descent there. The black is good, but i can only ride some of it, and i haven’t dared do the see-saw yet.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

my excuse being I ride a Giant Anthem with the post stuck at full XC height, and on skinny XC race tyres)

you were with a mate in a silver van, right?
    actually, he might have had a Giant Reign

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No, but I did see them out on the opposite side of the road. There was a guy on a what i think was a Giant Reign, and t’other on a erm yellow bike 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We were finishing building a jump on the red return (above the berms). I think I rolled in at about 6pm and left at 8.

D0NK

It scared the bejeesus out of me, even the stuff I could ride, I don’t like greasy mossy rocks (was damp that day) – good stuff tho.

and i haven’t dared do the see-saw yet

here’s a tip, don’t ride up to it chicken out and stand astride your bike then tippy toe along the seesaw till it tips, just ask junkyard 😉

mind you I rode into a tree, so who am I to pass judgement

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

BA yeah I spoke to the 2 guys who were working on the jump before you got there. Out of curiosity I did ask after you, and they said you didn’t venture up there that often ..

unklehomered
    Free Member

Good to hear. The benefits of building at such a small site is its constantly evolving.

Last nights, addition. It is big, and it is clever. 😀

flyingmonkeycorps

I need to get myself up there again!

unklehomered
    Free Member

I would add the black is nowhere near as bad as it looks. I find it lurks under the carpark like the monster under the bed, the more you don’t ride it the scarier it becomes, but the rock is actually really grippy, and the features solid. Its like a big soft fluffy cluddly pussy cat tiger.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

BA yeah I spoke to the 2 guys who were working on the jump before you got there. Out of curiosity I did ask after you, and they said you didn’t venture up there that often ..

No, in the summer I usually do other things on a Sunday (water skiing, riding my bike), I’ve tended to go building in winter and I don’t really ride up there that much, fallen out with trail centre riding a bit as well. recently I’ve tended to ride locally, in the Dales or Lakes. last winter I was mostly leading the St.Ives Digs, so only went building at Stainburn a couple of times. I went last night just to show my face and catch up with SingletrAction stuff.

woody2000

I need to get myself up there again

Me too, only been once and it scared me shitless. My riding (I like to think anyway!) has come on a lot since then, so it’d be good to go back. I found it a bit confusing last time I was there (which must be 5 years or more ago), difficult to find the trails. Has that changed?

STW group meet?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Certainly since 5 yrs ago there are more signs. But i’ve come to the conclusion that we’ll never be able to put enough signs up get everyone going the right way. Stif did a demo day the other week, taped the whole place up, MORE people goin the wrong way on the red than usual.

sorry, that went bit ranty.

But yes, there’s more signs. If there is a mneet up I’m sure a regular or two may tag along to show people round.

chestrockwell

Not been up since the twisty red track to the bottom was finished (2 years ago??). Has much changed?
    What’s the Norwood side like now? Used to be good fun but last time I was up the FC had trashed it.

TBH we stopped going as every time we did some one would smash some thing expensive. Is it worth a re-visit?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Stif did a demo day the other week, taped the whole place up,

I didn’t realise they were using it commercially. Who’s in a position to put some friendly pressure on them to do the decent thing?.

unklehomered
    Free Member

That was 2 years ago this summer yes.

Yeah, the last 2 years have been spent entirely on the red and descent line, many new features, many rebuilt sections, many more bits to smash the expensive bits of your bike on! (in particular big rings, we HATE big rings, hate them, and are on a quest to smash the teeth from every last one of them) 😈

In addition the woods have changed, find a vid from 2 years ago and is a barren deforested landscape. Not any more.

@BA, they didn’t have exclusive use, but the taped it to show the demo route. The event was massive, going to be repeated I think at the end of Sept due to the level of success.

woody2000

Right. bugger it, I’m going to try and get up there next weekend (31st/1st). Anyone fancy joining me?

Is it best on a bouncy bike, or will I get away with my trusty 456?

ads678

I’m not trying to make out I’m a riding god or owt, but the stuff in the woods where the black trails are is great fun at night. The fact you can only see what’s in front of you makes for a cracking ride. It was even quite dry in there when it was snowing in the car park!!

Is that new jump on the red from the car park after the switch back climb?

unklehomered
    Free Member

We’ll be there building on the 1st, feel free to say Hi, maybe shove a barrow about a bit 😉

@ads yup. I mean yes the ROLLER in the picture is on the red return. I suppose you could jump it if you were so inclined… 😉

ads678

456 would be great fun up there, but I prefer a full suss, even though the red to the bottom is smoother nowadays!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good little place that, just over the hill from the Farm that. I ride it on my SS29er with a 22T on the back and can (almost) climb back up the rutted climb back to the carpark, sometimes I fail, sometimes I clear it. The woods over the road are pretty good too, can loose yourself in there along some neat singletrack, shame it’s not a little bit bigger though.
    But, but a fun grin inducing blast can be had by all.

Full Suss not required, decent HT with some boing on the front will suffice, I do it rigid and let some air out but don’t let the sat down like some do… Off up there this w/e as it happens,

Neat.

woody2000

Actually, given that I like to chuck the bike on the floor a bit, and it’s pretty rocky up there, I’m sticking with the 456 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

here’s a tip, don’t ride up to it chicken out and stand astride your bike then tippy toe along the seesaw till it tips, just ask junkyard

TOP TIP THAT 😳

chestrockwell

Might have to call up again then.

Simon

I don’t think it’s been that widely publicised but there’s going to be another Chainless Challenge up at Stainburn on Sunday 8th September. Last one was free but there’s a small charge to enter this time, any profit will go to SingletrAction and back into the trails 🙂
    If it’s half as good as the last one it’ll be a lot of fun,
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eF7mdjOC1fk[/video]
    Enter here,
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/96606/SingletrAction-Chainless-Challenge#entry

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Liking the look of that, I may have a go 🙂

wl
    Free Member

Is the tight skinny stuff after the seesaw still there, with a drop off the end?

unklehomered
    Free Member

@wl, yup that’s at the bottom of the black.

Chainless is a hoot. And will change how you ride, I never pedal on the Stainburn downs now, I do frequently scare the shit out of myself though 😀

Practice, if you want it, will be until 10am sunday, and all day saturday while we tape the course up.

grum
    Free Member

Went there for the first time on Sunday – really enjoyed it. Nice to ride something genuinely challenging. Chickened out of a few bits (like the high north shore stuff) but managed to ride the seesaw which was fun. If I ever get to the point I can clean the black route I’ll consider myself a very good rider. 🙂

Did a fun unmarked descent off the black route as well.

My friend came a cropper on the slab section and has a very bruised arse – my other friend twatted his fork stanchions on some rocks, and I went over the bars off the rock garden after the north shore bit (coal chute?). Great fun though!

Simon

Glad you liked it, it’s not standard trail centre stuff for sure, it can be hard on bikes and bodies!
    Regular dig days are the first Sunday every month if you fancy getting involved.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Stainburn – Liked it more than I thought I would !’ is closed to new replies.