• This topic has 28 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • STA TRAVEL GONE BUST
  • project
    Free Member

SO STA TRAVEL, have gone bust, another well known travel company failure,london airport has also canceled all expansion plans and Manchester Airport are closing terminal 2 due to lack of demand a sad week for avaiation related workers

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/sta-travel-ceases-trading-after-18811014

https://www.statravel.co.uk/

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Less air travel can only be a good thing !

footflaps

Less air travel can only be a good thing !

Well yes, unless of course you work in the industry….

winston
    Free Member

Good. Reduction of gap yah can only be a good thing.

See also coal mining and children chimney sweeps as far as general air travel goes.

Pook

Unless it can be made sustainable.

deserter
    Free Member

Bookmark this though for all the pissing and moaning when flying is more expensive in 2 years

fossy

They get alot of business through the Manchester Uni’s – STA used to rip us off though.

Flaperon

Good. Reduction of gap yah can only be a good thing.

See also coal mining and children chimney sweeps as far as general air travel goes.

Obviously you or your family will never need any of the time-critical drugs or medical equipment carried all over the world in the holds of passenger aircraft.

jimmy

Pull up the drawbridges on the way in like a good chap!

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Obviously you or your family will never need any of the time-critical drugs or medical equipment carried all over the world in the holds of passenger aircraft.

That’s a spectacularly frail argument – rather like suggesting we shouldn’t reduce the overall volume of traffic on the roads because some vehicles are ambulances. I’m guessing from your username that your in the ‘luddite’ category on this one?

winston
    Free Member

He is a pilot which is why I didn’t engage – but it is clearly a ridiculous arguement nevertheless.

There would be no moaning from me if airtravel was made far more expensive and the same goes for non essential road travel too. Those empty skys and roads from March and April just served to highlight how much nicer our environment could be without so much traffic. I don’t belive for one second that we couldn’t adapt our economies to achieve this if needed but yes there would be some industries go to the wall and I would obviously expect those involved to fight for them.

Flaperon

He is a pilot which is why I didn’t engage – but it is clearly a ridiculous arguement nevertheless.

Just seems to me you shouldn’t be cheerfully hoping for other people to lose their jobs while you sit it out comfortably.

winston
    Free Member

Not sure where you are getting your data from but there was anything from 50% to 80% less traffic in the air during late March/early April depending where you were in the world.

“In the US – the largest air market in the world – the number of scheduled international flights was down 72% this week compared to last year, according to OAG. But domestic flights had only fallen by 18%.

At a White House briefing on Wednesday, President Trump said his administration was considering restrictions on flights between the worst-hit areas of the country.

In the UK, international flights were down 81%, compared to 60% for domestic connections.

One of the few countries to suspend all domestic flights was India, where health experts worry a big jump in coronavirus cases could be imminent. etc etc”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2020/apr/03/how-is-the-coronavirus-affecting-global-air-traffic

Clearly there were planes still flying for essential services and rightly so – as well as plenty of ghost flights to retain various slot allocations which was obviously ludicrous.

As for your brexit voting,I’m allright jack, retired assertations – well that says more about you than me or most people that are worried about climate change and environmental destruction. I’m none of those things and as most of my family live in Europe stand to lose out more than most if travel were made harder or more expensive.

EDIT: See you did a quick edit there.

leffeboy

I don’t really want companies to go bust and people to lose jobs but if we just kept going the way we were the world was ****, we have to change.   It turns out we can do remote meetings instead of flying even though they aren’t quite as good.  We can do with less weekends away in foreign countries.  It’s not ideal if that is what you do for a living but neither is keeping doing the same thing until it is too late 🙁

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Just seems to me you shouldn’t be cheerfully hoping for other people to lose their jobs while you sit it out comfortably.

I don’t think it’s a case of cheerfully hoping. Some jobs need to have far less people doing them, eg coal fired power station related employment. Otherwise we have zero hope of addressing climate change. High CO2 aviation needs to realise that it’s the same thing. The reason we are stuck with it is due to the embedded investment and lack of drivers for change. Couple that with the biosecurity aspects of travel it’s clear a new paradigm is needed.

Pauly

The fact the aviation industry is massively subsidised and massively polluting means that I’m glad it’s being forced to change. Not good that people will lose their jobs, but it’s for the greater good.
    Cruise ships next hopefully.

Flaperon needs to have a word with himself…

kerley
    Free Member

Just seems to me you shouldn’t be cheerfully hoping for other people to lose their jobs
    while you sit it out comfortably.

Other jobs need to be found, what we are cheerfully hoping for is far less air travel. Times change, society sees the light (sometimes) and people do other things instead. The jobs in the air travel industry are nothing special and people doing them can do other nothing special jobs (I don’t work in air travel but I am first to say my job is nothing special either by the way)

Kryton57

In defence of Flaperon I think you should step back and have a think about how he’s feeling at the loss / potential loss of his job.

The jobs in the air travel industry are nothing special and people doing them can do other nothing special jobs

what’s nothing special about years training and developing as an airline pilot and the job therefore can be easily transferred to what exactly?

Pauly

Perhaps people need to look at the bigger picture regarding their career choice. Not belittling anyone losing their job (I did last year), but the aviation industry is one of the biggest polluters. No VAT on fuel or tickets? WTF?
    We’re effectively subsidising pollution. It’s wrong on every level.

tails
    Free Member

Flaperon needs to have a word with himself…

So do you celebrating someone losing his job, do I need explain where not having an income can lead.

BTW you can stop consuming half your fridge, that’ll help. See if you can find some UK manufactured electronics. There are plenty of things you can do to stop pollution right now.

Pauly

At no point did I, or would I celebrate somebody losing their job. I’m agreeing to the points made about the reduction in air & road travel, and how much of it is superfluous. By conflating the discussion through associating the global distribution of drugs & ‘superfluous’ air travel etc is what I disagree with. Also the fact it’s massively subsidised!

MoreCashThanDash

I don’t think it’s a case of cheerfully hoping. Some jobs need to have far less people doing them, eg coal fired power station related employment. Otherwise we have zero hope of addressing climate change. High CO2 aviation needs to realise that it’s the same thing. The reason we are stuck with it is due to the embedded investment and lack of drivers for change. Couple that with the biosecurity aspects of travel it’s clear a new paradigm is needed.

This is no place for calm, considered, rational explanations!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just a little point

Forget all the people flying, the holds of the planes are mostly full of produce, not suitcases.

I could not get any authentic Greek yoghurt because of these flight restrictions

wobbliscott
    Free Member

High CO2 aviation needs to realise that it’s the same thing.

Nothing high about it. Less than 3% of global co2 emissions from aircraft. A tiny slice of the overall pie. The pie is shrinking and aviation will take a bigger proportion of it as global co2 emissions continue to fall, but grounding planes will not move the needle on co2 emissions or climate change. And Covid will help more as most older gen and less efficient aircraft that would have continued in service for another 10 years or so will probably never take to the skies again as newer far more efficient aircraft will be stood up on their place.

It is a special industry. Most of the worlds freight is carried by aircraft as well as mail so knock on effects to all industries and all our lives will be inevitable and industries beyond aviation impacted. People really are so ignorant of the impact of aviation on just about everything in the modern world. The benefits of global aviation far outweigh the negative impacts.

Tough time in aviation right now and being held back by governmental restrictions rather than demand for flying which remains very strong still. China’s back upto 80% of domestic flights. International still hard hit and will continue to be so until government restrictions relax.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Nothing high about it. Less than 3% of global co2 emissions from aircraft.

Except aviation’s impact is more than just the CO2

The 3% is concentrated amongst a very small number of people. I wonder why people with second homes in Europe or party every weekend in Ibiza get an effective subsidy from those who don’t

The benefits of global aviation far outweigh the negative impacts.

Easy to generalise, but if your argument is that those who don’t fly should be grateful for subsidising those who do because “the benefits” then I say you need to look at the arsehole in the mirror

kerley
    Free Member

what’s nothing special about years training and developing as an airline pilot and the job therefore can be easily transferred to what exactly?

And how many of the people working in air travel related industry are pilots? Compared to say air crew, baggage handlers, check in desk people and so on?

oldnpastit

Has anyone on here actually bought a holiday through STA in the last decade? I know I haven’t. Covid may have just been the last nail in the coffin.

grum
    Free Member

We’ve all known for a long time the fact that you can fly to Barcelona for £30 or whatever is completely illogical and unsustainable, it shouldn’t come as any great surprise if that comes to an end.

Marin
    Free Member

Bye STA, quite sad as they sorted out my flight to Egypt in about 1990 when I used my student loan to go away for the summer, which kicked off abut 15 years living out of a bag and traveling for me. Tough time to be unemployed.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘STA TRAVEL GONE BUST’ is closed to new replies.