Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SSDs for £20 – what?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m sure a year or two ago I was paying £80-90 but they have Crucial ones on Amazon for £20 for 120Gb! Is there a catch? Are they just super cheap now or are these crap?

These ones

jimdubleyou

BX is not crucial’s top rated model.

Also, 120GB is a bit low for a main disk if you’re replacing…

molgrips
    Free Member

120Gb is enough for my purposes, top speed isn’t a huge issue as I’d be upgrading an old laptop that I use only for Zwift. It takes so long to load the app with an old HDD that I’m in danger of missing races!

Superficial
    Free Member

And SATA is a bit unfashionable? Most newer computers will use NVME. But it’d be a great upgrade if you’re still on a solid state drive (and 120Gb is enough storage).

mattyfez

No real catch, as above, smaller capacity and not the fastest SSDs, the cheaper ones can chugg a bit with certain loads/file transfers, something to do with caching, I think.

You can buy 1TB SSDs for less than £100.

Aidy
    Free Member

I think you’re just mis-remembering prices.

I bought a branded 120GB SSD in 2014 for £40.

zilog6128

Sounds perfect for use with a R Pi (with SATA -> USB adapter of course!) Reckon I will give that a crack, not tried booting off anything except an SD card before.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yep pricing has been tumbling for years.

It wasn’t long ago we only ordered in 500GB SSDs when clients wanted them because they were a couple of hundred quid each, I buy them in 10s now and I’ve usually got a couple of 1TB drives on the shelf.

I don’t bother buying 128s anymore as there’s such a small price difference between them and 240s.

It’s all NMVe now, they’re supposed to be multiples faster but real-world they don’t seem to be, they to give the tech guys nightmares and have a pretty high failure rate.

CountZero

and 120Gb is enough storage

😳 My old iPod Classic was 160Gb, and it wasn’t big enough five years ago!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have a 240GB one in my laptop, plenty fast enough and they are going for £24 on Amazon. Might pick up another for that price.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

£20- £25 for 240/256gb and £42-£46 for 480/512gb has been the going rate for some time.

gobuchul
    Free Member

My old iPod Classic was 160Gb, and it wasn’t big enough five years ago!

Big enough for what? That’s about 600 albums in FLAC, over 2000 in decent MP3 format.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SSDs for £20 – what?’ is closed to new replies.