Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • SRAM Road discs
  • STATO
    Free Member

not even a mention on the site news, slipping STW slipping!

SRAM Hydro R Hydraulic Road Rim, Disc Brakes Unveiled – Details & First Rides!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Psst, don’t tell anyone but STW is a mountain bike site, and those are part of a road groupset 😉

On another note, really not bothered by hydraulic brakes on my road bike. Plenty of stopping power and modulation with my brakes as it is. No need for anything heavier and more expensive thanks 🙂

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

They are not heavier.

wwaswas

Plenty of stopping power and modulation with my brakes as it is.

I had a flashback to 2001 and people who were using V-brakes on mtb’s when I read that.

STATO
    Free Member

Designed to have same stopping power in dry as a well set-up caliper brake (ie, limited by tyre grip) but they have even better modulation and work as well in the rain or dirty conditions. Why wouldnt you want that?

kcr
    Free Member

Looks very nice, but going to have to wait a long time before trickle down makes that affordable for the work bike! The quoted prices on Road CC were eye watering.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

They will be based on avid discs so will be hugely unreliable and crap, with random lever to bar no brake power moments and numerous other issues. Best avoided until shimano etc bring something out!

cookeaa

That’s an Interesting read actually, and a very clever move on SRAMs part to produce a hydraulic rim brake that works with the same lever as the discs, they can get a bit of staged adoption going, especially with with those looking to update brakes/drive on an old non-disc frame, levers are pricey and I think people might be looking for a bit of future proofing rather than jumping on the disc braked road/CX bike band wagon

Shimano will need to catch up and offer something comparable on DA soon, in fact DA Di2 would be ideal, as they can probably make slightly a lighter, simpler lever with just micro switches to house rather than cable shifting mechanisms and a master cylinder .

Burger

According to Bike Radar, the Hydro R disc option adds about a pound to the overall bike weight after fork/frame/wheel updates are also accounted for. I guess you might win a little of this back through eventual lighter rim developments, though there has been little evidence of that in MTB until recently. It would let you run expensive carbon rims without wear worries though.

mrmo
    Free Member

Designed to have same stopping power in dry as a well set-up caliper brake (ie, limited by tyre grip) but they have even better modulation and work as well in the rain or dirty conditions. Why wouldnt you want that?

because they are horrifically expensive, are made by Avid which ime means unreliable crap, for the purposes i use a road bike my brakes are good enough, i have no interest in buying a new bike, crashing is not an option!

and if you notice Sram are hedging their bets, they have released a hydro caliper so they aren’t sure which way the market is going.

Sram electronic is on the way so whatever you buy will potentially be out of date very quickly, which means spares may be an issue.

Finally, have i ever been riding and think, you know what i could do with more braking on the road bike? no. MTB is very different, did i ever think more brakes, no, but did i think increased mud clearance, yes!!!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Didn’t expect to see it on stw as they are road brakes, why would a mountain bike site feature them? plenty of info on road.cc.

Hood’s a bit funny looking.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Didn’t think the prices looked too bad, but then probably been desensitised to that sort of thing by the prices of other top end groupsets.

and if you notice Sram are hedging their bets, they have released a hydro caliper so they aren’t sure which way the market is going.

I ‘d have thought that would have more to do with UCI rules. I’d imagine they’d get dropped when UCI allow discs on the road.

turtleheading
    Free Member

Good luck when you get break fade on some long mountain descent!

STATO
    Free Member

Didn’t expect to see it on stw as they are road brakes, why would a mountain bike site feature them? plenty of info on road.cc.

Because they have done features on cross bikes and the disc equipped Di2 cross bike Mark owns?

STATO
    Free Member

Good luck when you get break fade on some long mountain descent!

Christ you lot are more critical than the roadie forums! 😆

mrmo
    Free Member

Didn’t think the prices looked too bad, but then probably been desensitised to that sort of thing by the prices of other top end groupsets.

are they top end groupsets though? Red i would agree but Force is meant to compete with Ultegra and i guess Athena. both of which are cheaper.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Anybody know whether they’re staying with 130mm hubs or going to MTB width 135s? (which will then affect chainline and BB width?)

mrmo
    Free Member

one other point to add, for most it is not relevant, but neutral service in a race situation.

cookeaa

TBH the weight argument is a bit open ended, with the reg’s weight limit on competition road bikes you might as well accept heavier but functionally better drive and brake components and let frame manufacturers build the lightest frame they can to hang it all from, it’ll all come in about on target for the whole bike, it’s easily possible to build an underweight bike already isn’t it?

I’d imagine road discs would ultimately mean silly light carbon tubular rims become more common, as well as lighter disc specific clincher profiles, wheel mass could be driven down overall, especially towards the outer circumference (where it apparently matters more).

In an ideal world we’d be heading for frames that came with integrated brake hose and electronic shifting wiring looms with a single standardized set of connectors and fittings, that won’t happen, but it would be good for encouraging adoption IMO.

Are Campag even playing the Leccy shifting / hydraulic disc brakes game or will they just wait for the dust to settle and then join in?

clubber
    Free Member

Campag have had electronic gears being tested with the pros for about 3 years. IIRC they’re just about to go to market. No word on discs or hydraulics though.

The expectation and what we’ve seen so far is 135mm hubs

STATO
    Free Member

IIRC they’re just about to go to market.

…or have been available for a good while with lots of people already riding it 🙄

Gary_M
    Free Member

Has record eps not been available for some time?

mrblobby
    Free Member
    clubber
    Free Member

Shocking… my bad 🙄

Haven’t seen it out on the road unlike Di2 which I’ve seen plenty of…

And Campag saying something is going to be available isn’t the same as it actually becoming available, anyway so it’s a reasonable assumption 😉

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Even the rim brakes aren’t going to be directly compatible with current frames are they – it’ll obviously need a full run of hose to the back and looking at my road frame I’ve just got a couple of cable stops. Will roadies want to ziptie the hose to their frames?

clubber
    Free Member

You can just file out the cable stops to allow a continuous cable.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d expect to see internal routing of the hose.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I ordered a new bike yesterday and Super Record EPS and Athena EPS where amongst the options I didn’t choose (Super Record will have to do). 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

And Campag saying something is going to be available isn’t the same as it actually becoming available, anyway so it’s a reasonable assumption

bit like Shimano Airlines then….

As for Campag and Hydro,

Colnago C59

I suspect this will be the way campag approach the market, get someone else to make at least the calipers and then colaborate rather than try and create something totally in house.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Shocking… my bad

I wouldn’t say bad, just not up to speed with whats going on.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

one other point to add, for most it is not relevant, but neutral service in a race situation.

Yes, if you factor in 10/11 speed, Campagnolo or Shimano/SRAM, rim brakes, 140mm rotors, 160mm rotors etc. etc. then could take a while just to find the right combination!

Pray god they don’t adopt 15mm or 20mm maxles too!!!!

butterbean
    Free Member

I suspect this will be the way campag approach the market, get someone else to make at least the calipers and then colaborate rather than try and create something totally in house.

Yes, it’s Formula.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Pray god they don’t adopt 15mm or 20mm maxles too!!!!

Can’t remember where, but I saw a photo of a bolt through road fork/hub combo a few days ago.

FuzzyWuzzy

Shimano already have road hydro disc stuff being tested, whether it makes 2014MY release I don’t know but I doubt they’ll be flapping too much as discs will still take a couple of years to get a decent market share. If DA Di2 2015MY is hydraulic discs + wireless I don’t think they have much to worry about from SRAM.

sniffthebreeze
    Free Member

I have just taken delivery of a C 59 super record EPS disc ( exactly like the link above)
    ….It’s beautiful !

Sniff

mrblobby
    Free Member

I have just taken delivery of a C 59 super record EPS disc ( exactly like the link above)

Pictures or it didn’t happen 🙂

spawnofyorkshire

Can’t remember where, but I saw a photo of a bolt through road fork/hub combo a few days ago.

it was a specialized prototype running discs, i can’t find the story though

edit: found it

edit 2: nope it wasn’t that one

sniffthebreeze
    Free Member

Maybe tomorrow – although i have never had any success in putting piccies on web sites!

Sniff

owenfackrell
    Free Member

it was a specialized prototype running discs, i can’t find the story though

edit: found it

edit 2: nope it wasn’t that one

It was on a giant cc bike wasn’t it?

flange
    Free Member

EPS is a LOT of money. Like £3.5k rrp. It’s very nice stuff and the shifting action is lovely, but that is a LOT of money

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Road discs’ is closed to new replies.