Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • SRAM Road discs
  • sniffthebreeze
    Free Member

I think if i tw*t a rear mech it is around £600!!!
    A cassette is RRP £300ish!

As you say it is a LOT of money, but so sweet!

Sniff

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It was on a giant cc bike wasn’t it?

I thought it was a Giant. Thought it was over on bikeradar but I cant find the page.

clubber
    Free Member

Roadie thru axle

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/bikes-and-tech/thru-the-looking-glass-of-whisky-thru-axles-are-coming-to-road-and-cross-forks_231571

I’m not convinced though. I still don’t use thru axle offroad and there’s less need for it on road IMO.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brooess
    Free Member

It’ll be interesting to see where this goes. V-brakes were never that good really and for MTB, braking surfaces out of the mud and need for lots of reliable power at short notice meant discs were a solution to a problem.
    But on my road bike my braking needs are very different – no need for so much power at such short notice. But weight does matter.
    Not convinced about discs on road bikes being a solution to a problem that we really have.
    On the other hand, it gives the MAMILs an excuse to spank even more ££ on kit…

spawnofyorkshire
    clubber
    Free Member

discs aren’t really about power though are they? as the luddites always say, you can lock up your wheels with calipers easily enough.

Using my cx bike (with discs) on the road (with road tyres) it’s suprising how much better feel and confidence I have than on normal road brakes on my ‘proper’ road bike, particularly in slippy conditions. Not something I really expected TBH.

theflatboy
    Free Member

One thing I particularly liked about the SRAM hydros story was the barrel adjuster for the rim brakes. Neat.

crazy-legs

and if you notice Sram are hedging their bets, they have released a hydro caliper so they aren’t sure which way the market is going.

Not at all, just making sure that there’s a market there for existing customers – bear in mind that 99% of people won’t have a disc ready frame but they might want to upgrade to hydro rim brakes. And from there you can upgrade later to hydraulic disc brakes using the same shifter unit when you buy a new frame.

GrahamS

Using my cx bike (with discs) on the road (with road tyres) it’s suprising how much better feel and confidence I have than on normal road brakes on my ‘proper’ road bike

This.

Those dismissing it out of hand would do well to to look at the Show Me Your CX Bikes thread on here and consider how many of them have discs and are being used as sturdy road bikes rather than for actual CX races.

Those saying you never need to stop quickly on a road bike should try commuting through town on one with wet grimy rims.

It is an interesting development. Expensive for now – but then so were MTB hydro discs when they first arrived.

njee20
    Free Member

Those saying you never need to stop quickly on a road bike should try commuting through town on one with wet grimy rims.

I do, on 23c tyres. I can see why some folk would like discs, but I’m not fussed, road callipers really aren’t as dangerous as some seem to make out!

460g weight penalty for discs though, even before you add in hubs and heavier frame/fork. That’ll be a barrier for many.

JCL
    Free Member

That Giant cross bike makes every other 700c look instantly dated. Roll on the SRAM groupo’s and hopefully we get 10mm thru-axles from the get go.

mrmo
    Free Member

Not at all, just making sure that there’s a market there for existing customers – bear in mind that 99% of people won’t have a disc ready frame but they might want to upgrade to hydro rim brakes. And from there you can upgrade later to hydraulic disc brakes using the same shifter unit when you buy a new frame.

i suggest you take some time to read the Road.cc article, SRAM are offering two options and in there words they don’t know what the market is interest in.

Personnally i prefer the look of the hydro Magura’s just not the price. And they use Mineral Oil which is a plus IMO.

taken from the interview with the SRAM bloke.

Road.cc

We really like the way the rim brakes ride and we’re all about choice too. We like to put a couple of good options out there to allow the customer to choose what they want.

We may find eventually that hydraulic rim brakes do win out over hydraulic disc brakes, although I don’t think that’s going to be the case. I don’t think that discs will kill the rim brake, I think we’ll see the two options, but I do think that mechanical cable-operated brakes will go away.

epicyclo

It’s not the first time manufacturers have had a go at road hydraulics.

I’ve got a set of Magura drop bar hydraulic rim brakes in my shed. Had them several years.

D0NK

swapping from my disc braked CX to my road bike for the first time since I got the CX I was missing the feel of the discs, and this was in the dry. I was kinda doubtful of road discs thing but whaddya know after actually trying discs on the road I guess I was wrong 🙂 Not looking to upgrade my road bike so not too fussed about road discs myself, but would like full hydro for cx in the future.

I’ve got a set of Magura drop bar hydraulic rim brakes in my shed. Had them several years.

wanted some of them for my pompino

Another advantage of disc brakes tho is for trusty commuters/winter hack bikes, you aren’t wearing away the rims everytime you brake.

epicyclo

D0NK – Member
    …Another advantage of disc brakes tho is for trusty commuters/winter hack bikes, you aren’t wearing away the rims everytime you brake.

One of the reasons they’re in the shed.

I did buy a set of stainless steel rims to use with them though. At 790gms they’re not much heavier than heavy duty alloy rims.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Road discs’ is closed to new replies.