Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sram Guide RS Lever Throw after bleed
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

So I replaced my front caliper this weekend, along with fitting a new disc and pads.

I bled the system and for the life of me I could not see any bubbles in the system, but the lever throw was more than my already installed rear brake. I bled again and again, no air as far as I could see but the lever throw is still more than the old rear.

The weather was terrible so not taken it out for a proper ride. Would the new caliper need a proper good bed in/brake test etc to settle in and improve lever throw or is it just a case of bleeding again?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bleed again.

When I got mine they were a PITA to bleed, it only seemed to work if you followed the SRAM guide to the letter, and even then it took a second attempt. Do not be tempted to think “well this trick works on shimano / hope, I’ll try that”. If you don’t need them for a few days, wind the reach adjuster out, get a ziptie and clamp the lever reasonably tightly to compress any air bubbles and leave iv overnight for them to rise to the lever then try again.

Other possible fault is a sticky piston not sliding out properly, take the pads out, squeeze the lever a few times to pump them out a bit, then push back in gently one at a time, that should lubricate the seals and let them work properly.

frogstomp

Have you maybe bled the rear brake previously with worn pads in and ended up with a slightly over-filled system? That could lead to a shorter through if you subsequently replaced the pads..

jayx2a
    Free Member

Rear brake still as is – never been bled.

Checked pistons and all good – plus brand new caliper.

Will bleed again and see how they feel!

jayx2a
    Free Member

Will also try the lever trick and hold in the lever the night before a bleed again.

bigyan
    Free Member

If the old caliper pistons were not retracting properly, and the new ones are there will be more lever travel with a new caliper.

Sram can be fiddly to bleed compared to other brakes though, easy to have air trapped in the caliper or lever.

jayx2a
    Free Member

They are the bleeding edge ones so at least they are less of a pain than before. Will have another bleed during the week and check for the damn air.

When bleeding it is worth pushing the fluid back and forth a few times? Guides just say do it the once and then pull on the lever a few times before pressuring the lever.

RicB

I always pass the fluid between syringes half a dozen times, whilst tapping the caliper/lever/hose to release any trapped air bubbles. Always push the ‘has fluid in’ syringe rather than pulling on the ‘will be receiving the fluid’ syringe, otherwise you’ll create a vacuum and suck air past the seals.

Try to get everything as vertical as you can (which it probably is anyway being the front)

Flicking the lever helps dislodge air bubbles there

jayx2a
    Free Member

So ignore the guide that says pull the syringe at the lever and push the one at the Caliper instead to push the liquid back through?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sram Guide RS Lever Throw after bleed’ is closed to new replies.