Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • SRAM Eagle Powerlock chain connector, really single use?
  • Leadfold

SRAM say that you can’t separate a Powerlock link and then reuse it. Is this true? Anyone reused one and had/not had issues? I really don’t want to be buying a new one each time I separate my chain (£12 each!)

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t know about the mtb ones but i’ve reused the road ones many times without issue

whitestone
    Free Member

Not sure about SRAM but KMC say the same and I’ve never had any bother reusing their power links on the same chain. I wouldn’t swap powerlink/powerlock between chains though.

Then again, how many times do you separate your chain?

stevextc
    Free Member

It’s a YMMV …

It’s not going to be as strong but that doesn’t mean it will break/open after one reuse.

I’ve reused the 11speed ones once … perhaps twice but then keep a spare in my bag just in case.

when you remove it a 2nd time it definitely feels less secure.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Pretty sure you’ll be fine. I’ve re-used the 11 speed ones several times and i’ve never, ever broken a chain at a quick link so it’ll be the same with Eagle I’m sure. You’ll need the pliers though, you’ll struggle to remove them by hand. Anyway, you’ll be replacing the chain once a year so that will limit the number of times you actually de-link it to a few before it is renewed with a chain change. Doesn’t matter if the link feels less ‘secure’ the second time you use it, it’s in tension so no matter, again, I’ve never lost one on 11 speed chains.

Klunk
    Free Member

even after reuse you still need the link pliers to break them as they are tough to remove by hand

frogstomp

I’ve reused the 10/11 speed ones plenty.. but have had one of the pins fall out of the latter when reattaching on one occasion. May cause issues if you swap a used one to a new chain also (due to wear).

drnosh
    Free Member

New chain, new connector.

Simples.

Leadfold

Thanks folks, reassuringly you have confirmed what I thought.

RustyNissanPrairie

IIRC – KMC patented a small design element that allows re use, SRAM power links dont have this so are in theory single use ( i cant remember what the actual design difference is between them though!)

onehundredthidiot

Is this the one that is curved one way?

If so I’ve broken the chain and used it again, mainly because it was on the wrong way and caused chain skip.

https://goo.gl/images/A19sFt

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Jesus H , where did they get that price from ? How can it be  twice the price of an 11 speed link ? In fact has anybody tried joining a 12 speed chain with an 11 speed link ?

vincienup
    Free Member

Strictly, SRAM links have been single use since they launched 10sp and painted them black.   Lots of people ignore this.  TBH, if you’re carrying a spare then big deal, if it happens it happens.

Obviously, YMMV and if your chain breaks don’t come crying to me…

Poopscoop

I keep a brand new one taped under the seat.

The others will be opened a few times before I bin them.

They cost too much for just one use…

This is on 11spd but I will be doing the same on the Eagle setup I am building onto the Jeffsy at the mo.

ac282

Someone I ride with takes his chain off for cleaning regularly. He’s had eagle since it came out and has had no problems.

astormatt
    Free Member

I do carry a spare on the bike, but i have split my chain at least 4-5 times on my GX Eagle set up and the powerlink(lock) hasn’t failed yet…..still splits and joins back up easily.

nickc

I understood it meant that a link is to be used on one chain. You can break and join the chain as often as you want, but the link gets chucked with the chain.

stevextc
    Free Member

Anyway, you’ll be replacing the chain once a year so that will limit the number of times you actually de-link it to a few before it is renewed with a chain change.

How often you change chain does have a relationship to how often you take it off to give it a full clean.

On the 10sp KMC link I’d often (often depending on season and where I was riding) take off the chain for a full clean. Both chains and links got more expensive after that.

Doesn’t matter if the link feels less ‘secure’ the second time you use it, it’s in tension so no matter, again, I’ve never lost one on 11 speed chains.

Its not always in tension.  I did have one fail (I’d transported in the car so no tension) and it failed in the first 5 mins tangled round the mech and both got mangled.

Cost me a new cage for the rear-mech… at the time it cost me a rear mech and chain (as it happened Sat and I wanted to ride Sun) but  there is a risk.  The rear mech is since repaired and on another bike.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Eagle Powerlock chain connector, really single use?’ is closed to new replies.