Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Sram eagle ASX…. anyone tried it ?
  • jeb

Hello

About to build up a pivot mach 6, i have a XTR shifter and XT rear derailleur from
    my old frame… but read some good reviews about the ASX… so anyone tried it ?!

Thanks

DickBarton

I really like it, no matter how manky the ride the shifts remain crisp and accurate.
    Stupidly expensive but it makes perfect sense to me.
    If you can afford it, definitely get it.

tomhoward

Yep. Love it. Can’t see me buying a cable derailleur setup again.

lawman91

Had it on test for a few weeks over the summer. Loved it. Want it back. Can’t afford/justify it. But it is ace.

MSP

I have had no problems with it from a technical point of view, but I just can’t get on with the ergonomics of the controller. I think it is something that shimano always had the advantage with mechanical shifters. But with the chance to do something much better on a wireless controller unrestrained by the mechanicals, sram just did something meh.

I love the dropper though, absolutely won’t go back to non wireless for a dropper.

But as things stand, unless they bring out much better controller, my money would rather go on xtr mechanical (never tried xtr di2)

RickDraper
    Free Member

Yep I have had it since it came out and its really really good. I am going to put it on my other bike as well.

ta11pau1

An AXS dropper is on my Christmas list, but tbh I’m waiting to see if they update it and release a 200mm version.

solarider
    Free Member

Eagle AXS on the mountain bike (inc the dropper). Red AXS on the road bike. Clean lines, easy set up, accurate shifting, decent battery life. So far it is holding up well in the muck too. The ergonomics are also amazing without the need for lever throw.

Just a bit pricey. As Ferris Bueller once said ‘If you have the means I highly recommend it’.

mboy
    Free Member

My mates keep taking the piss out of me cos I haven’t got it on my Evil Offering, and they all have on theirs (those who bought Evil Offerings off me anyway!)…

The thing is, it’s bloody amazing! But even @ trade price, it’s staggeringly expensive. I just couldn’t justify it. I prioritised a GRIP2 Factory 36 and DHX2 shock at the time, which was arguably more beneficial to the ride of the bike, but as and when I can get a good deal on a setup and I can afford it, my bike will definitely sport Eagle AXS sooner or later.

walleater

I agree with MSP. The controller is just weird to me. The person who owns it claims to love it though so it’s personal preference for sure. It’s just odd that with a blank canvas and not having to deal with packaging mechanical stuff, that’s what Sram came up with. Functionality is great though.

solarider
    Free Member

You have to think of the shifter as a rocker switch rather than 2 levers. In that respect SRAM did rethink it. Your thumb sits in the channel down the middle and rather than replicating pushing on 2 separate levers, you just rotate your thumb up and down with very little effort. It’s a far more subtle movement for sure and at first I had to switch off multiple shifts to stop ghost shifting and over shifting. Once you get the hang of it, it is both different and better. Unlike the mechanical lever, positioning the switch just so is more critical. With mechanical you could pretty much position it anywhere, but to work comfortably the AXS version has to be positioned so that your thumb falls naturally into the channel.

Having said that, I do agree that now the fundamentals of the tech are sorted there could be other shifter options made available. All that the switch has to do is make an electrical connection, so the mechanical throw of a lever is no longer required.

LD
    Free Member

Another bonus I discovered today, after a few very frosty rides in the last couple of days my dropper cable was frozen making it permanently actuated (who knew how annoying that would be). I was glad I didn’t have a cable on my mech! Also reassuring to know that battery performance in the cold is fine. And yeah I know they do axs droppers too.

tomhoward

I was out in sub zero temps last night, AXS reverb and gears both faultless.

andykentos
    Free Member

I have it waiting to be put on my reign that’s on order. I tried it at Eurobike and thought the shifting is great and the dropper somewhat meh, however going by the reviews it seems the dropper gets rave reviews.

All in all excited about trying it out. Also looking forward to having cleaner lines on the bike.

timbog160

It’s a big investment but I have to say it’s great, both dropper and drivetrain. I’m fortunate enough to be able to afford it for my second bike too, but even then I’m feeling the need to ‘save up’ for it!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Tried it, loved it, will I buy it? Nope.

Totally fed up with SRAM clutch mechs, I’ve lost count of the number I’ve warrantied where the clutch has failed. They go saggy even quicker now & you can’t adjust them any more. Fed up with chain slap.

Been running XTR on an Eagle XX1 drivetrain which works great & bike is back to being silent again 🙂

Do miss the cage lock though!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

still contemplating it myself, went full xtr 12 speed, still have the issue after its worn In of lag shifting and the muck slowing down the shifting in winter slop

guessing axs just gets rid of these niggles completely as it just continuously shifts the same every single shift regardless

I will be running a shimano cassette and chain though, the hyperglide works brilliantly so as it works the opposite way as hobnob is running ill get the best of the both worlds

just affording it now, though id only need the upgrade kit

philjunior
    Free Member

I was glad I didn’t have a cable on my mech!

I can kind of see this benefit, but a reverb is a lot cheaper and you could get a lot of cable changes for the cost of it…

(would get di2 or axs if I had the money and a butler to charge the batteries)

SirHC

Been running XTR on an Eagle XX1 drivetrain which works great & bike is back to being silent again 🙂

Just the mech, or shifter as well?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

ASX dropper here.  Lovely bit of kit.

stewartc
    Free Member

Have the dropper and really likening it, will definitely go all AXS when I finally knacker up my current Eagle rear mech however, despite being a serial rear mech destroyer the current one seems to be hanging in there.
    For those who have it, how often are you charging the battery, and for those with both dropper and drivetrain, is there any tricks you can program via the mobile app?

tomhoward

, is there any tricks you can program via the mobile app?

Multiple shifts (2 or 3) from a long press, rather than just keeping shifting until you let go.

Any controller button can do any job, reverb or gears, I have mine so the reverb is controlled by the sprint button on the back/top of the RH controller, then shift outwards on the LH button, inwards on the lower RH.

That’s it for now. If you have a garmin I think you can look at how often you shift/why gear you spend the most time in etc, as well as a gear display on the unit, but I haven’t one.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Just the mech, or shifter as well?

Both. Although I’m not a fan of the shifter, I much prefer the ergonomics of the sram one.

I think they are compatible, but not 100% sure – I think they are 99%, but I went with the xtr one just because I’m running with a sram cassette as well and didn’t want to make it harder to potentially tune.

DickBarton

I need to work out how to connect both to the controller. Would be good to have mech and post on 1 controller.
    Must be new feature.
    How do I get all items under 1 entry?

tomhoward

To get it all on one system (credit to t800)

1. Begin the pairing session at the rear derailleur. Press and hold the AXS button until the green LED blinks slowly, then release.

2. Next Press and hold the AXS button reverb until the LED blinks quickly.

3. Next Press and hold the AXS button left controller until the LED blinks quickly.

4. Next Press and hold the AXS button right controller until the LED blinks quickly.

5. Then press and release the AXS button on the rear derailleur to end the pairing session, or wait 30 seconds for the pairing session to time out.

Then to have it set up like me, use the app to configure the controls thusly…

Note you can’t have ALL the functions off one controller.

DickBarton

Ah ok, thanks…I paired them individually (mech to controller and Reverb to the other) but had a few minutes between the pairing.

I obviously misunderstood your comment as I thought it was all on 1 controller…I’ll keep them as left for Reverb and right for mech.

Thanks for that process to pair everything together, that is handy.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Sram eagle ASX…. anyone tried it ?’ is closed to new replies.