Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sram AXS with XT cassette and chain?
  • boxwithawindow
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a gx axs upgrade kit for my new build off the back of all the glowing reviews.

However I already bought a 12 speed xt/xtr drivetrain for it. So I’m thinking I just as well use the cassette and chain?

The only thing I could think is the spacing might be different but how different can it be?

Anybody done it?

tomhoward

I haven’t but know lots that have (XX1AXS mech, XTR cassette & chain), and are very happy with it. Seems to be the best of both worlds tbh.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

That’s what I was thinking as the new interface between the shimano rings and chain is meant to be superb.

monkeyboyjc

Should be fine.
    I’m using xo axs with a garburuk cassette and slx chain…

DrP

though i think if you’re using shimano chain, you need a shimano front chainring….

DrP

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Hi I read this a little while ago. A Mismatch Made in Heaven: XTR/AXS

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/components/drivetrain/a-mismatch-made-in-heaven-xtr-axs/

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Exactly what I wanted to hear and was thinking, thanks super scale.

mattbee

I use an XTR cassette with XO AXS, it was ok with a Shimano chain but tended to catch on the bottom of the Sram chainring, especially when a bit dirty. Swapped to a Sram chain and  all is good.
    Not noticed any difference in shift quality to be honest.

andyrm
    Free Member

I’ve run GX Eagle mech, shifter and chain on an SLX 12 speed cassette for over a year and it’s spot on. So AXS should be even better as I believe it can “learn” any slight variations.

shanner
    Free Member

So I’m about to set up an xx1 axs mech with a shimano 12 speed cassette, chainring and chain.

I’m wondering how anyone sized the shimano chain with an axs mech?

I’m thinking I’d be best using the shimano method over sram but wondering what anyone else done?

julians
    Free Member

I just sized it by eye, until it looked about right. It’s been fine.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

There are standard procedures if your unsure.

1. Take all the air out the rear shock.

2. Push the bike down to maximum travel and hold it there using a zip tie or a friend if you have on to hand.

3. Put the chain in the biggest ring and through the mech.

4. Pull chain together until mech is at or near full extension.

5. Mark position.

6. Add 2 links and and shorten chain at that point.

7. Join chain.

8. Ride

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

For a hard tail skip steps 1 & 2.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

No. It’ll be shit.
    Bin the old stuff and buy new. I’ll give you a fiver for the 12speed chain if you want.

Good offer that.

shanner
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve sized chains before and what you describe is pretty much how sram suggest you size a chain on a full suss.

The 12 speed shimano method is different. Any one used the shimano method with an axs mech?

mattbee

honourablegeorge

The mech is what will break if the chain is too short, I’d use the SRAM method

jimmy748

B-Tension and chain length should be set per derailleur manufacturers method. I have used both Blackspire & Burgtec chain rings with Shimano chains and both have been absolutely fine.

shanner
    Free Member

thanks for chiming in. I used the shimano method

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sram AXS with XT cassette and chain?’ is closed to new replies.