Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 413 total)
  • SPOTY Thread…..
  • singletracked
    Free Member

I do wish folk would stop referring to cycling as a sport. For the vast majority of bicycle riders it is a means of transport and/or a hobby.

Exactly, people like me who drive sports cars get very upset about the incorrect use of the word ‘sport’

Nevertheless, Bradley deserves SPOTY for arriving at work earlier than everyone else who set off on the the Big French Commute

mudshark
    Free Member

I do wish folk would stop referring to cycling as a sport. For the vast majority of bicycle riders it is a means of transport and/or a hobby.

Like running?

scuttler

Was a bit gutted when they were bigging up the award presentation for Coe and on came the Duchess of Doodlewhereever. Just for one moment there I thought that with all the build up, they’d managed to get Ovett over to hand it out. Disappointed.

druidh
    Free Member

Yeah – I’m trying to disconnect the idea that the wifey up the road that cycles to the supermarket for her groceries feels any connection to Bradley Wiggins. Does that make more sense?

singletracked
    Free Member

Yeah – I’m trying to disconnect the idea that the wifey up the road that cycles to the supermarket for her groceries feels any connection to Bradley Wiggins

Why would you want to take that away?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

“SPOTY votes Mo Farrah 131k Miserable Murray 230k Jess Ennis 372k Wiggo 492k”

So I’ve been told….

Good for Wiggo and DB!

GrahamS

I do wish folk wouldn’t always refer to cycling as a sport.

I agree – but as long as darts is a “sport” then so is cycling, even if it is only to ASDA and back. 😀

Kryton57

There’s a lady on Endomondo who puts her commute, AND her job as a cycle instructor down as “Cycling Sport”. So there, a definate connection to Bradley 😛

GrahamS

To be fair, lots of folk do that on Endo as it only gives you PBs for Sport and there tend to be more Cycling,Sport challenges than there are Cycling,Transport (which is why I made the ”Oath of the Winter Warrior” challenge Cycling,Transport).

Tom-B
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

Are you for real or just trollin’?

Dunno, are you just quoting a selected part of my post to make it meaningless, or what?
    What I mean is there seems to be some expectation that the public/non-cyclists will now look on us differently on our commutes; bunched up on our roadie rides; or popping down to Asda etc, because Wiggins is the most popular sportsman in Britain. And it don’t work like that.

butcher

What I mean is there seems to be some expectation that the public/non-cyclists will now look on us differently on our commutes; bunched up on our roadie rides; or popping down to Asda etc, because Wiggins is the most popular sportsman in Britain. And it don’t work like that.

It don’t work over night. But if the nation begins to enjoy cycling more, to appreciate and respect it, whether it be on TV or out on the road, then there has got to be a positive impact in there somewhere.

If the nation hates cycling, then we’re well and truly stuffed.

spacemonkey

TAFKASTR, you sis looks nothing like jess Ennis. And frankly it’s a little weird posting pictures of her up here.

^^^^
    THIS

It comes across like you fancy her 😯 Just wrong.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Was listening to planet rock this morning

” breaking news , lennox lewis has just this minute handed the third place trophy over to they space where andy murray was stood”

DezB
    Free Member

It comes across like you fancy her

Someone has to 😉

tony_m
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    There’s a lady on Endomondo who puts her commute, AND her job as a cycle instructor down as “Cycling Sport”. So there, a definate connection to Bradley 😛

Her Ladyship says she doesn’t actually put her job as a cycle instructor down on Endomondo, but she does like being called a lady… 😛

PS She can’t come to the computer herself right now as she’s busy decorating my hall (and no, that isn’t a euphemism… ).

Bunnyhop

Well Done Wiggo.
    Even my Mum understood what the importance of winning the ‘Tour’ meant and she isn’t a cycling person.

Oh and as for Murray being miserable – have you met him?
    In real life he’s a great fun loving, hard working, nice all round chap.

Eurghhh – why the insistance of getting unbelieveably drunk and posting things on the internet? #idiot – sorry sis.

Just for the record, I don’t fancy my sister :roll:, just proud of her for being a little bit famous. Oh and all my mates reckon she does look like Jess (their words, not mine) – just obviously not in those pics 😕

DezB
    Free Member

😆

Kryton57

In real life he’s a great fun loving, hard working, nice all round chap.

So its just the magic of tellybox that makes him appear like a miserable **** then?

bikebouy
    Free Member

No one here (at work) is sporting “WiggoBurns” today..

“is dissapointed”

Though (takes a look around over the monitor) there are a few wearing Polo Shirts with the top button done up, so I guess that counts for something.

drain

@scuttler – you and me both! Would’ve made for an ‘interesting’ moment 😈

D0NK

I do wish folk wouldn’t always refer to cycling as a sport. For the vast majority of bicycle riders it is a means of transport and/or a hobby.

you can have transport (commuting, shopping etc) but even when done as a hobby cycling is still sport. I occasionally play 5-aside just for a laugh, bit difficult not to view it as sport tho.

there seems to be some expectation that the public/non-cyclists will now look on us differently on our commutes; bunched up on our roadie rides; or popping down to Asda etc, because Wiggins is the most popular sportsman in Britain. And it don’t work like that.

true.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Someone popping down to Asda on their bike is not blocking the road, whilst a bunch of roadies riding two/three abreast on a narrow lane, most certainly are and will be viewed differently.

chrismac

A few observations.

Great that wiggo and Braisford won.

Why did Coe get an award? The last person who actually did any work on the Olympics was him. Im sure there were lots of people at LOCOG who worked really hard, but Im sure he wasnt one of them.

Why did we have to suffer the heir and the spare machine giving out the prizes? If they wanted a Royal then what was wrong with Princess Anne or Zara who have been Olympians rather that this waste of space.

richmars

Why did Coe get an award?

For the same reason the producer gets the best picture award, and the top scientist gets the Nobel prize.
    Nothing to do with who does the most work.

D0NK

Someone popping down to Asda on their bike is not blocking the road, whilst a bunch of roadies riding two/three abreast on a narrow lane, most certainly are and will be viewed differently.

legally the same i believe, just depends on whether the guy behind the wheel of the following car is a dick. 3 abreast you might have more of a point, possibly.

If they wanted a Royal then what was wrong with Princess Anne or Zara who have been Olympians rather that this waste of space.

interchangeable aren’t they? a royal is a royal is a royal is an accident by birth or they married into it, doesn’t matter which one, does it? If you wanted Anne or Zara cos they were olympians then you could have picked any other olympian, needn’t be a royal.

bikebouy
    Free Member

THink they added a Royal to the Event to bring in the Queenies “big event” earlier in the year.. Which also went quite well.

Been a fab year in the UK all told this year.

Next year might just be a bit of a let down. 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Someone popping down to Asda on their bike is not blocking the road
    Viewed by most motorists who can’t overtake them, they are.

sputnik
    Free Member

So is golf a sport then? Well obviously it is, but if you don’t play professionally then is it classed as a sport?

druidh
    Free Member

If you compete it’s a sport.

If I go off for a bit of a tour on my bike is that sport?

If I’m cycling to work is that sport?*

What if I’m driving to work – is that also sport?

(* lets ignore Stravaaaaaaaaa for the moment 🙂 )

sputnik
    Free Member

Answer the question re golf please.

druidh
    Free Member

Of course it’s a sport. Why wouldn’t it be? It doesn’t have to be professional to be sport

Now answer mine.

Kryton57

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

If that then yes ^^

D0NK

If I’m cycling to work is that sport?*

already covered, no

What if I’m driving to work – is that also sport?

no

If I go off for a bit of a tour on my bike is that sport?

yes-ish*, it’s still physical activity that is “often engaged in competitively” is a game of football with mates a sport if you don’t win anything at the end?

*touring is a bit more tricky, it’s quasi utility/transportational riding, out riding with your mates is closer to the football/golf analogies, riding on your own is just training for when you do ride with your mates 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Well, you compete to win the game even if there is no prize.

riding on your own is just training for when you do ride with your mates

Hence my Stravaaa comment 🙂

D0NK

define competing, you against the road/trail/hill/elements? Certain amount of testing yourself.

sputnik
    Free Member

I’m not defending all forms of cycling as a sport, it’s a form of transport first and foremost.

singletracked
    Free Member

If you compete it’s a sport.

Dangerwanking is a sport?

Kryton57

sputnik – Member
    I’m not defending all forms of cycling as a sport, it’s a form of transport first and foremost.

It can’t be – whenever I go riding I end up in the same place I started and therefore haven’t travelled anywhere.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 413 total)

The topic ‘SPOTY Thread…..’ is closed to new replies.