Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sponsorship ideas…help please
  • russyh
    Free Member

So first off this isn’t a begging post. So I’m not posting my just giving page up. I’m after some advice, I have recently agreed to be in a team of people from work planning on riding 240miles from our Kent offices to Bruges. We each have set ourselves a target but reality is the target we must set is £450 each. It’s supporting a smaller charity in the research into a rare genetic condition, which ultimately has no cure and the children diagnosed rarely make it to their 20’s.

So I have set up a just giving page, doe the usual social media shares. Hell I have people liking and sharing the post. But so far only 4 people sponsoring me. Now I will lambast my family, but I have always sponsored friends for things like this and now feel a little disappointed. So rather than moan about it I thought I would ask here how others have raised their charitable activity awareness and gained sponsorship? Short of standing in Sainsbury’s with a bucket I’m not sure what to do…which by the way may be an option! Thanks

Kamakazie

How long has it been since you shared? How long until the ride?
    Many people won’t bother sponsoring until about a week before when it’s close enough to bother. Just keep sharing periodically (don’t over do it) and then ramp it up in the immediate lead in.

jimdubleyou

Just keep sharing periodically (don’t over do it)

Don’t just say “you haven’t sponsored me yet” either – put something interesting up about a long training ride or something, create some narrative.

Also, why wouldn’t you put up a link in a community you are part of (and contribute to, by the looks of the “P”) ? I’m sure a few people on here will be willing to bung you a fiver to get you started.

scaredypants

Who’s playing the costs of the trip?
    If that’s coming out of donations I can see why people may be reluctant. If you’re paying those costs yourself, be sure to spell that out

bruneep

I don’t do these type of “charity” sponsor me events, looks too much like I’m paying for people to have a nice jolly holiday.

If I do donate, I’ll donate direct to the charity itself, last event Mrs b did she/we stumped up the full costs ourselves.

russyh
    Free Member

So the event costs are being funded by work. I have to buy my gear. Bike etc. Obviously! ALL the sponsorship gathered goes directly to the charity. Which reminds me I need to sort (I’m a MTB rider and got rid of my last road bike a while ago) good point about the ramp up towards the event. I’m due to complete the ride in Sept. I’ll share in my local groups and communities. I don’t think STW forum would be the place to start sharing stuff like this as it would likely break a rule and start a torrent of charitable activities/posts. Hence why I haven’t shared the details, I didn’t intend this to be a stealth ad.

In all honesty, I really wanted to do a good job for the charity. Which is, in my opinion doing great things and is off the beaten track in terms of people’s awareness. Which makes things harder I guess. I really don’t want to be ‘that person’ who moans like hell. I just wanted to know, as someone who hasn’t done this sort of thing before if I’m treading the right path in terms of sponsorship.

clockarockin
    Free Member

Few ideas:

1) Post about the cause and not the event first, tell your friends why this cause means something to you and ask them if it means something to them too. That should be one motivation for donating.

2) Post about the event second (close to the time and after). Number two motivation for donating is that your friends like to see you suffer/are impressed by your suffering!

3) Cake sale – cliche but they do work pretty well. If you’re thrifty you can organise one where keen baking colleagues bring in cakes as well so you don’t have to supply them all yourself.

4) Ask your employer – many will match donations from colleagues etc.

5) Run a raffle – you need to be proactive for this one but again it works. Compile a load of local vouchers/cake/alcohol and sell of raffle tickets to your friends/family/colleagues etc. This is good as donors have a chance of getting something out of it.

russyh
    Free Member

Thanks clockarockin, not sure a cake crafted by my hands would be worthy of anything other than a trip to the doctors! I wonder if I put the bike I buy up for raffle? Guess that depends on the value of the bike I buy… but something for me to think about for sure

precutduck
    Free Member

Definitely make it clear that all money is going straight to charity.
    Bake sale is a good idea, gives other people in the office a chance to get involved.

zilog6128

ALL the sponsorship gathered goes directly to the charity

except what’s creamed off by JG. It’s got to be one of the worst sites to use from that perspective, certainly puts me off sponsoring anyone using it!

I don’t do these type of “charity” sponsor me events, looks too much like I’m paying for people to have a nice jolly holiday.

this is also at the front of my mind, it sounds far too pleasant (unless it’s genuinely challenging e.g. you’re doing it all in one go or have one leg in which case definitely mention that!!)

lucky7500

Start by focussing on the charity element. Why have you chosen that particular charity? Does a family member / someone close to you suffer from the condition? Have you ever mentioned the charity or condition to people before? are you a regular supporter of the charity? Also, what is the aim of the fundraising? Will the £450 mean that a particular piece of vital equipment can be bought by the charity or does it go to pay off committee members bar tabs?

Then focus on the challenge. Will it genuinely be a challenge for you and sound like a difficult challenge to potential donors? Is the whole ride being done in one go / is it over two days / is it 40 miles per day spread over a week? How fit are you and the rest of the team? Why does it end in Bruges? Is that relevant to the charitable element of the ride or does everyone involved just fancy finishing with a night out in Bruges?

Finally, be prepared to answer, instead of spending £1,000+ on a road bike purely to do this challenge, couldn’t that money go straight to the charity?

lunge

Raffles work well in my experience.
    Buy something of reasonable value, I bought iPad’s in the past, and raffle it off. You can speak to local business too and see if they’ll donate a raffle prize too.
    People then feel they’re not just donating, they’re also in the running to win something.

natrix
    Free Member

Could you get a company to sponsor you?

Wearing their T-shirt on the ride, mentioning their name in an article in your company magazine, mention their name in a local radio interview etc…….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sponsorship ideas…help please’ is closed to new replies.