Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Spitfire Flypast Glasgow 17th September
  • irc

A rare chance for anyone in the Glasgow area to see a Spitfire n the air.

Gartnavel General Hospital – 2.10∙ QE University Hospital – 2.12pm
    Leverndale Hospital – 2.14pm
    Dykebar Hospital – 2.15pm
    Royal Alexandra Hospital – 2.17pm

beamers

The full schedule for tomorrow:

krixmeister

Nice one! Thanks for the share!

bentandbroken

It’s great to see that this (the NHS Spitfire) is still generating support/funds. My mum and dads name are on it (hopefully), but be careful as some people on here are “calling this out”

Inkster, Stumpyjon ETC – It’s not a nice idea, its a shit idea

I am ‘up country’ tomorrow, so there is a small chance I will see it. It would be good If I could 🙂

pipit
    Free Member

Watched it fly over the Solway going from Carlisle to Annan and then up to Dumfries. It did a wonderful banked figure of eight over Annan. What a wonderful sight, and the sound of the engine caused goosebumps.

beamers

Track the flight right here.

hels
    Free Member

I saw this advertised yesterday and thought it was a Daily Mash headline!

I know planes are neat and everything – but I am getting pretty sick of the North Korea style militaristic showboating at the moment to distract us from severe failure of government, and adding “NHS” to is just takes the cake in hypocrisy. And stop dragging pool old Captain (or have the made him a General yet?) Tom into it. Let the poor man enjoy what’s left of his life.

Harumph etc etc

scotroutes

I’m sure that if I worked in the NHS I’d be overjoyed at the thought of a machine designed for killing folk 80 years ago was flying round the country on my behalf. Hell, I might even rush out of A&E / theatre to see it fly over.

Will the pilot be clapping too? Hardly seems worthwhile otherwise.

Merak

#toughcrowd

beamers

I think this particular Spitfire was a photo recce plane. If that helps?

swavis

#toughcrowd

Indeed!

mashr

beamers

I think this particular Spitfire was a photo recce plane. If that helps?

Unless they were nice photos for wall mounting it seems unlikely

mashr

Happy days, just went right over my garden heading west then around half a mile away heading back east

2tyred

Just flew over my house a minute ago.

I didn’t get it together to go outside and clap or salute or whatever.

Worried this means I HATE BRITAIN.

Northwind

I like spitfires but I do think the NHS spitfire thing is just weird. Not tasteless or offensive or owt, just… weird.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’d be weirder if it was a Messerschmitt

richmtb

Not tasteless or offensive or owt, just… weird

I think daft is probably nearer the mark.

Should be a Lancaster* dropping leaflets~ directing us to our nearest test centre# for a lab result&.

*Operated by G4S
    ~Designed by McKinsey
    #Ran by Serco
    &Controlled by Deloitte

mashr

Northwind

I like spitfires but I do think the NHS spitfire thing is just weird. Not tasteless or offensive or owt, just… weird

Can confirm that it’s no less weird in real life

Edit: doesn’t help that the painting looks half-arsed

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s probably taking reconnaissance photos for use by the US Marines when Donald gets the NHS for Christmas.

mashr

Hadn’t considered that Cumbernauld airport might turn into a major military base!

beamers

I agree, the NHS / Spitfire connection is unfathomable.

For me it was more about getting to see a Spitfire in the air.

Brought back fond childhood memories of the local RAF station annual open day / air show.

clubby

Bunch of miserable b•••••ds.

The whole of my wife’s cancer ward went out to see it fly over Royal Victoria in Dundee. Lots of the elderly patients from the next door rehab unit also came out to see it. She said it was really emotional.

iainc

I hadn’t clocked this was happening until I had to get up from a Teams call to shut the window due to the noise…. only to see the Spitfire ! Was a cracking sight… 👍. I do live less than half a mile from Hairmyres Hospital tho !

scotroutes

In other news, I got to my bivvy spot in the Cairngorms tonight and I’ve had to put up with a Typhoon on reheat.

bentandbroken

Relax everyone! Inkster and Stumpyjon ETC obviously blew their load over my thread and, despite assurances, have now retreated to watching the TV/scratching their arses/picking their acne rather than doing something proactive… unlike the people who are flying the plane and raising charitable donations…

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

@scotroutes lucky sod in both regards. Mind you, bet the midge are rife……

I live in Stirling so pretty close to the route and heard/saw nowt 🙁

scotroutes

@stevemuzzy I’m at a midge-free altitude of 705m. I’m not that daft 😉

rickmeister

It’s a tenner to put someone’s name on it but who benefits, where does the cash go…. ?

Paying for the diesel to run it and the pilots cheeseboard?

El-bent
    Free Member

I prefer a Hurricane or Mossie myself, The NHS is underfunded, understaffed, and has just had to try and cope with the first wave of a pandemic, with a second one coming, with a totally incompetent Government to boot, but don’t worry, someone will send a plane with thank you NHS written on the underside of its wings…that clearly makes up for it.

unlike the people who are flying the plane and raising charitable donations…

We are one of the wealthiest countries on the planet, this shouldn’t need to happen, if you think its acceptable, then your lives have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

BillMC

It’s one thing to enjoy bits of historic engineering still buzzing about. My 96yo FiL used to fly them (after the Germans had run out of flack) and so loves all that stuff. It’s quite another to imagine that a clap or a thankyou to NHS staff substitutes for a much needed and substantial pay rise.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Spitfire Flypast Glasgow 17th September’ is closed to new replies.