Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Spesh Turbo Creo SL road bikes… experiences ?
  • iainc

Planning to update my 5 yr old summer road bike (nice ultegra carbon Defy) soon and was planning on a SRAM etap 2021 Defy, however having recently discovered the fun of an eMTB (Spesh Levo SL) and having a few heart issues and being an old duffer, at age 54, this has become an option. Would be the Expert version, with di2 1x, and I already have the range extender from the Levo.

So, while I await a test ride in the next week or so… any real life thoughts from those that have ridden one of them, or similar ?

My typical road rides are hilly back roads from home, 20-50 miles, with a few longer, maybe 60 – 100 trips away. I normally sit at around 14 -16 mph average, which I realise is on the cut out area for ebikes.

dovebiker

I had a demo on the first one Specialized brought in the UK – fun to razz it around the block, but couldn’t really see the point for riding with a group as the speed limiter could make it difficult if you’re riding with others even at a moderate pace on the flat.

iainc

Interesting to hear, the speed limiter is a point. I was thinking that I’d be faster on the hills and similar to current on the flat bits.

iainc

anyone else tried them ?

lunge

Never ridden one, but at the moment you’re riding at about the limiter speed. That’ll mean you’ll be averaging lower in the hills, where you can get assistance, but may find the resistance (and weight maybe) are limiting on the flats and downhills.
    I still need some persuading on the merits of a e-road bikes for fitter/faster people for that reason.

iainc

thanks, yes, wondering about that, so test ride on my local routes will be critical to see how it goes.

austen

I was half wondering how this would change my commute.  I was doing 17 lumpy miles each way taking about 70-75mins and thought that it might take the edge off, as was finding it a little tiring to do regularly.

I’m thoroughly out of the habit at the moment so looking for motivation to get back to it…

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Very interested to hear how it goes, it would be a big expense to get just as a commuter! </span>

Gotama
    Free Member

may find the resistance (and weight maybe) are limiting on the flats and downhills.

From what I’ve read the resistance on the Creo and Levo SL which both use the Specialized in house motor is almost non-existent. I have a normal Levo and don’t find there to be much resistance with the motor turned off so would expect the Creo to be that bit better.

A 20mph limit for road commuters would be so much better.

iainc

^^^ yes, I have a Levo SL and can’t say I notice any resistance from the motor above the 15.5 mph cut-out

thegeneralist
    Free Member

What would be the purpose of it?

I totally get e-bikes for commuting and transport.
    I get them for MTB.
    But failing to see the point for a road ride where the point is going for a road ride.

mos

Depends where you live. If its quite hilly & you’ve come to a point in you life where you’re unlikely to gain much more fitness and don’t want to feel like some rides are out of your reach because of the climbing then i can totally see the point of one of these.

My dads, who’s in his 70’s, bought a spangly canyon endurace a couple of years ago before e-road was a thing, if he was buying today, then something like the above would be his pick (lives in calderdale).

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Makes sense. Good point.
    Thanks.

iainc

Test ride lined up this week coming 👍

iainc

Well I had a test ride on one today. About 20 minutes round some quiet Glasgow roads from Dales shop. Absolutely stunning to ride. Feels good in all power modes and totally imperceptible when it goes above the cut of speed of around 16mph. The adjustable headset damping of 20mm on the Futureshock is great and I took it along some fairly rough cobbles to try it.

It is surprisingly light to pick up, really surprising..

I have ordered one and it should be with me early next week 😁

didnthurt

Saw lots old folks with ebikes when I was in the french Alps a couple of years ago. They really made sense there. It’s pretty lumpy where I live so not sure how they would fare here.

iainc

^^^ err, aye, ok then … ?.

didnthurt

Can you do a write up on how you get on.

damascus
    Free Member

@iainc what was the process like for a test ride with covid restrictions?

Lots of places at the moment are saying they can’t let you test ride bikes. I suspect it might be true but am suspicious because they don’t have any in stock and are just ordering from factory.

A friends after an ebike but wants to ride before he spends such a large amount on one

Thanks

iainc

Local shop is operating in a reduced capacity however they were happy for me to run a stock bike for a short road test from the shop on a dry day. I don’t think full day test rides on demo fleet bikes is back up and running yet.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Turbo Creo SL road bikes… experiences ?’ is closed to new replies.