Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Specialized Levo front fork – Rockshox Revelations or sell and fit Fox 36?
  • Max…
    Free Member

Upcoming Levo with the factory Revelations 150mm, 35mm stanchions 2019 model with Debonair etc.

By all accounts a good fork but unsure whether to sell immediately to realise about £300 or so and get one of the Fox 36’s knocking about for another £100 or stick with the Revs?

Reliability is one key factor as well as performance for general trail stuff, 75kg rider, line picker rather than smasher, too old for big drops now…

Last pair of forks I bought yonks ago (Fox 32s).

I know many advocate upgrading the Revs with the Pike damper to effectively make a Pike but I’d in all honesty rather keep them stock or go Fox.

The RS are pretty easy to service at home too and RS are user friendly in this regard.

Does this apply to modern Fox?

benpinnick

Depends on the damper. If its Rev RC Charger then you’ll not find much performance gain going to the Pike damper. If its the Moco damper its probably worth it (The upgrade) but a 36 would be fine too so its just personal preference.

Tracey

I had the same thoughts and bought a set of Lyriks to fit just in case, I did upgrade the wheels. Ran the bike with the Revelations over the winter and have been impressed. The Lyriks have been fitted to another build over the weekend.

Max…
    Free Member

It has the latest Rev damper on these 2019 models AFAIK – Rev Charger RC (not RC2) – you can upgrade to RC2 but not cheap.

benpinnick

The Rev RC Charger is a bloody good damper. I’d not be looking to swap it out.

Max…
    Free Member

Yes, I would not want to go down that route as it would cost more than a Fox 36 upgrade (?) – I think from what I’ve read on ‘the web’ if anyone complains about the std 2019 Rev it’s much heavier/harder riders pushing it more than I would.

The bike tart in me likes the look of the Fox but we all know that’s not really important (much)…

for what it’s worth TFTuned did rate the revs when I spoke to them but also mentioned OEM’s can be a bit hit and miss with bushing fit.

joebristol

If it’s the rc charger damper in those revs then I’d stick with them unless you really want 36’s. Your current fork is very nearly a Pike basically.

If it’s got a moco damper and you don’t want to fiddle about changing the damper then go with the 36’s I reckon.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’d be more inclined to keep the Revs, I borrowed a Levo for the weekend a few weeks back – I can’t remember if it had 34 or 36s now, but they were a bit crap.

Max…
    Free Member

Cheers guys – sticking with the Revs is the plan I think.

How about the back? Not sure how capable the stock RS Delux RT inline is. I know lots are going to coil but overkill for me.

Any benefit in up-speccing to the RS RT3 or Fox DPS Performance?

Tracey

Not had a problem with mine, also got a Fox one on the 2017 version which has been good. I think if I was going to change it would be for an Ohlins air

joebristol

I think the rt3 has an extra bearing rather than bushing in one end of the shock mount, and the lever for compression has an extra setting. I’m not sure which one is extra though – my rt3 has open / pedal platform / firm (firm one is very close to a full lockout).

chiefgrooveguru

“How about the back? Not sure how capable the stock RS Delux RT inline is. I know lots are going to coil but overkill for me.

Any benefit in up-speccing to the RS RT3 or Fox DPS Performance?”

I went for the base model on the ground that none of the forks bar the 36 (on the crazy expensive top model) were as sturdy as I wanted, and had my LBS swap the stock forks for Lyrik RC2s. But you’re a bit lighter than me so Revs will probably be fine.

I’ve been amazed at how good the rear suspension performance is. I think the high sprung weight of the frame helps, and my guess is that I’m about the same weight and radness that the large frame’s shock is tuned for. I’m coming from a Spitfire with a DBair which is some of the best rear suspension around on a trail bike. So the stock Deluxe RL works very well for me. I run a lot more sag than I expected to (about 37%), frequently use most of the travel but never feel it bottom out hard (I think the air spring must ramp up loads in the last few mm). It pumps well and jumps better than anything I’ve owned.

Also, when you have the power on, there is no suspension bob at all, because the motor is adding increased chain tension but your pedalling action isn’t increasing proportionally. With the power off it bobs more than the Spitfire but not enough for me to bother fiddling with the shock.

Max…
    Free Member

Cheers. Good to know.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Levo front fork – Rockshox Revelations or sell and fit Fox 36?’ is closed to new replies.