Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Specialized Enduro, DH or All mountain?
  • badllama
    Free Member

Hi all,
    This is mainly a question for those who have one, I’m looking for a trail/XC bike that can take much bigger hits than my current Camber, just wondering how good the Enduro is for climbing?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Why just Specialized? Have rule out other brands?

You can Demo Specialized, Scott, Cube, Cannondale, etc.. in 3 weeks time. If your in the south:

http://www.qecyclefest.co.uk/mtb-demo-day/

johnhe

I’ve got an older Enduro, and I wouldn’t call it xc or like to do loads of climbing on it. But if you could get one with an acceptable weight, which would be expensive, then it would be a great all rounder.

matt1986
    Free Member

The new evo looks like it would be the perfect uk DH bike there would only properly be fort bill where you’d struggle with it. If your looking for an all rounder look at the stumpy? If you like to climb look at the BMC trailfox I have one and it climbs amazing as good as my hardtail I never need to lock the rear shock out.

Tracey

On my third Enduro, all beeen used for everything with no problems.

badllama
    Free Member

Hi all I like sticking to Specialized just because I’ve had no bother with previous bikes and my brother who spent a good 12 months in Whistler recommended me the brand as had had no bother with them riding the trails there week in week out. 🙂

I was looking at Stumpy Evo, but then my thought’s turn to the Enduro to be fair the LeisureLakes staff member I spoke to raved on about the Stumpy Evo as well in fact he told me 4 of there staff had bought one, this may have been sales talk though 🙂

Cheers Tracey for the input what type of riding have you been doing ? Lakes, Cumbria etc..?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends on your legs….

I ride and race xc on my SC Heckler, DH & Enduro too. The missus does nearly everything on her Blur LTc.

Enduro sounds like a good bike, but as above plenty of other awesome things out there, personally recommend Santa Cruz, Cube, Rocky Mtn and a few more, all as good if not better than the big (sometimes bland and funny standard spec specialized)

Northwind

matt1986 – Member

The new evo looks like it would be the perfect uk DH bike there would only properly be fort bill where you’d struggle with it.

Never really understand these comments, fort bill’s not so different- I’ve not ridden at that many dh venues outside of scotland but glencoe and antur stiniog are just as deserving of a big bike, dunkeld maybe (matter of taste) and it’s not like fort william’s unridable on a smaller bike… Even on tame inners tracks a dh bike is normally the best option

nosedive
    Free Member

my enduro does everything from 4 hour rides in the peaks to downhill tracks. I think it is pretty much perfect if you can only afford one bike.

the weight is OK, gets a bit draggy with flows \ 2.5 tacky minions for longer rides though

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the weight is OK, gets a bit draggy with flows \ 2.5 tacky minions for longer rides though

The secret to an everything bike is lots of tyres and possible 2 sets of wheels

acehtn
    Free Member

Jesse didn’t struggle much with his rigid spesh P2, knocked out 12 back to back laps at the Fort.

I just minced down on an SX Trail 🙂

From chatting to the riders that raced on air sprung 6″ travel bikes, they where all happy, admitted the bikes where maybe a bit light duty for prolonged abuse.
    Everyone i spoke too had a daft grin, and the phrase “on the edge of the bikes limits” was used a few times.

I lean more to DH so went SX Trail, coil sprung, beefy frame. Bit of a slug for long xc.
    If your more xc/trail go Enduro, it will cope with some DH duty but it’s more All mountain/trail/xc built.

If your wanting to race DH, then a DH bike will be nicer.

legend
    Free Member

Northwind, see “DH in the South-East” for your answer 😉

Tracey

Most of my riding is done around the Peak, Lakes and trail centres with the annual trip to the Alps for two weeks [usually Verbier] The bikes have been great in all conditions and never let me down. One of my daughters also rides an Enduro in the same places, as does Kevin. My other daughter rides a Giant Reign.

First one

Second one

Latest one

badllama
    Free Member

cheers nosedive for the info.

It’s not so much cost(although there is a limit of course) as space 2 bikes max one is my status 1 the other a trail bike. It’s just I’m finding I’m riding bigger and tecky stuff where I wish I’d had the travel of the Status but the the climb ability of the Camber.

EDIT nice images Tracey 😀 And thanks for the info!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

legend – Member
    North wind, see “DH in the South-East” your answer

Yeah, I did the pearce series on a Heckler, 3 rounds on a HT – it’s doable and fun but it’s not a good thing for the bike in the long run. Every time I end with an every thing bike I want to get 3 bikes, whenever I have 3 bikes I want 1 bike. In the end if you want to do each seriously then DH for DH, trail for trail, if you want to piss about with each then mangle 1 bike.

(Ft Bill on 04 Enduro 120mm travel Scottish Champs – never made 1 run though was grim and only had limited runs as they shut the course due to the tail end of a hurracne…)

Edit

you cant buy skill

Jesse didn’t struggle much with his rigid spesh P2, knocked out 12 back to back laps at the Fort.

I just minced down on an SX Trail

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Enduro History…
    [/url] Me Aston Dhill by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr[/img][/url] aston UP sat by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url] jumping down the plenny by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr[/img][/url] 27052010240 by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr[/img]

Still prefer linkage bikes to single pivots…

stevede
    Free Member

Op – blatant plug, my custom build 2011 med enduro will be for sale as of Monday, new full set of pivot bearings at the start if the year, rp23 push tuned by tf recently, top of the range lyriks rc2dh 170mm air forks, reverb, fizik gobi, xtr cranks, 521/pro2 wheelset, hope tech m4/x2 brakes, 1×10 xt shifter, 1 ride old xt cassette, chain and zee clutch mech. After offers close to £1750. Also got an Evo kit (clevis links and fox dhx rc2 coil shock) with a selection of springs that I paid £400 for a couple of months back for an extra £200.
    Could be willing to split if main bits went first.
    Great bike but I’ve already got a trail bike so getting a bigger bike for purely dh.
    Apologies for hijack.

Northwind

acehtn – Member

From chatting to the riders that raced on air sprung 6″ travel bikes, they where all happy, admitted the bikes where maybe a bit light duty for prolonged abuse.

Yar, I did the little bike thing the year before and it was fine til the skin fell off my hands :mrgreen:

nosedive
    Free Member

when my enduro has light wheels and tyres on it feels like I can pedal it all day, it certainly climbs better than you think it would.

My mates with light bikes mock me but I think I have more fun on the downs

ianv
    Free Member

I have an enduro evo that I use as the do it all bike. Last year I rode it a lot in the mountains (pyranees/alps 1500m+/45km + rides) before the lifts opened. It was pretty good really, slowish on the climbs but you could usually manage them, and good on the descents. For most bike parks the bike was less good than a proper downhill bike but still pretty reasonable.

I really like the bike and feel its a decent compromise if you are riding somewhere that has technical interest. The normal enduro might probably be an even better compromise, not used one though so cant really comment.

badllama
    Free Member

Just bought a 2011 Expert SL looking forward to it arriving now thanks for all your advice people 😀

matt1986
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    matt1986 – Member
    The new evo looks like it would be the perfect uk DH bike there would only properly be fort bill where you’d struggle with it.
    Never really understand these comments, fort bill’s not so different- I’ve not ridden at that many dh venues outside of scotland but glencoe and antur stiniog are just as deserving of a big bike, dunkeld maybe (matter of taste) and it’s not like fort william’s unridable on a smaller bike… Even on tame inners tracks a dh bike is normally the best option
    POSTED 3 DAYS AGO #

Yea stiniog would be best with a DH I just don’t think you need a full DH bike for most of the tracks in the uk. It always made me laugh when kids couldn’t believe I was riding places like farmer johns on a 120 hardtail when there there on full DH rigs it just doesn’t warrant it. Iv in the past caught up with people on DH bikes there. It’s all personal choice I suppose but I think the evo would make a good uk DH bike.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Enduro, DH or All mountain?’ is closed to new replies.