Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Specialized butcher sx tire….
  • moniex
    Free Member

Just having a quick look at some new tires for my Mega (will be used in the alps for some dh). The specialized butcher sx tires look like a great half way house between dual ply and single ply, but I can’t seem to find them for sale. Are they not available in the uk? Found the control and dh versions…

Simone

mikey74
    Free Member

I use the Clutch SX for DH in this country and really like them. However, in areas where it is very rocky you are probably better off with a proper dual-ply: I used them in Whistler last year and had to pump them up hard to try and avoid punctures, which failed, lol.

I even had a pinch flat at Aston Hill a few weeks ago.

vikingboy
    Free Member

i use a pair of Butcher SX’s and TBH, I would just go for the DH versions, better sidewalls for not a lot of weight penalty. Im a 200lb+ rider though so if you are lighter you might get away with them. I can burp them where as the DH’s are impossible to burp.
    They aren’t available in the UK in SX format. Ship them in from EUR or US.

Northwind

I got mine from ebay- people buy bikes with them on and sell them unused. I use the DH version sometimes for the slightly stickier rubber but by and large I use the SX.

Never had any problems with the sidewalls, maybe because I weigh nowt, I’m not hard on tyres generally… having said that I’ve hit them hard enough to pretty much destroy a rim without flatting, another time I did flat the rear at fort william but also flatted the Flow Ex it was on 🙄 They’re not officially tubeless ready but do act like it. Hmm, can’t think offhand of any other time i’ve managed to flat ’em, or the Clutches I had before (*), there’s a fair number of cuts on one of them but nothing troublesome.

Basically they’re just what you think- a halfway between single and dualply. I suppose only you know if that’ll work for you.

(* Clutch not so good)

scotroutes

tire??? 😈

moniex
    Free Member

Apologies, tyre it is. English is my second language…. (Tire must be US then).

I only weight 60kg (not sure what that is in stone ;0) not hard on tyres, but would like to run low pressures. Had hans dampf/myddy Mary folding last year but had few flats in the rear tyre on about 28 psi, incl a pinch flat. Last year was with tubes, looking to go tubeless this time.

Thanks guys.

moniex
    Free Member

Mmmm, could go super gravity by schwalbe? Sounds like the same sort of thing. Perhaps magic mary front vertstar and hans dampf rear trail star. Both tubeless…

bigrich

good tread, shit sidewall – standard spesh.

Tracey

Abigale is 60kg. Running a Butcher Control on the front with no problems. This will be her tenth trip to the Alps this year always on Specialized tyres, she has used Eskars and Enduro 2.3 in the past all with great success. As do the rest of us. Great tyres and at a decent price.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Specialized butcher sx tire….’ is closed to new replies.