Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Free-spinning crown race on fork. Tips?
  • hora
    Free Member

Loctite should be ok?

wwaswas

araldite would be my choice – most standard loctite probably doesn’t have enough mechanical grip to stop the race spinning again.

I would suspect somethign’s wrong with either the crown race or the fork for it to spin though – they’re supposed to be an interference fit.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Araldite or JB Weld would be my choice, but as mentioned, something is up there. What headset is it? Is there any chance of splitting the race and letting the tapered seat into the bearing pinch the race closed? Obviously that’ll only work with a cartridge bearing headset, and only some of those.

hora
    Free Member

Its a used King headset on a new 1 1/8 fork

coatesy
    Free Member

I’ve often found used King crown races to be loose, a stud/bearing fitting compound is designed for that sort of job, but unless you can get it in a very small bottle, or borrow some, it may be cheaper to get a new race 😥

hora
    Free Member

4quid for glue v 11quid for a new race 😀

schmiken

A bit of Coke can used as a shim.

bencooper
    Free Member

I use a knurling tool for this kind of thing – knurl the fork so the race is a tight fit.

2-part epoxy would be okay, just make sure the race is fully home before the epoxy dries – perhaps use a weighted tube to press it down.

legend
    Free Member

Bearing retainer will do the job easily.

Remember this thread when you want to remove the race again

Entonox
    Free Member

Yep leave it. It wont move when everything is tightened up.

jackal
    Free Member

Loctite bearing retainer. I had an old pair of domains that was like this due to the headset seizing and the crown race rotating on the steerer. The Loctite sorted it no probs. Standard superglue would do it I suppose, but as said once it’s all nipped up it shouldn’t be a problem.

crikey
    Free Member

PTFE tape will do, and it’s easy to get off…

Kahurangi

I wouldn’t bother, maybe a dab of medium strength loctite. When preloaded the bearings should be spinning anyway.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m also in the ‘do nothing’ camp – assuming it’s a sealed bearing headset. It won’t move once the headset is tight – I’ve run one like this for years. It just makes removing the crown race at the end far easier.

bencooper
    Free Member

Good old STW – buy a stupidly expensive headset, bodge fitting it, it’ll be alright 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Free-spinning crown race on fork. Tips?’ is closed to new replies.