Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Specialized 6fattie – talk to me
  • matt_outandabout

I’ve a couple I’m considering going to look at second hand for middle_oab.

How do they run with ‘normal’ 2.3/2.4 tyres rather than 3″.

Any oddities with geometry because of fattish tyres?

I’ve avoided Specialized before, the few I’ve looked at had silly small main pivot bearings and a penchant for eating through bushings as a result, but this was a few years ago.

weeksy

And PF bottom brackets! Argghhhh

tomhoward

I changed mine to 29×2.5. Much betterer. Would you just be changing tyres, or narrower rims as well?

matt_outandabout

And PF bottom brackets!

Aaahm oot.

Would you just be changing tyres, or narrower rims as well?

I’ve not the budget to change wheels as well. Are they particularly wide?

damascus
    Free Member

And PF bottom brackets! Argghhhh

I fitted a hope pf bottom bracket on my specialized 3 years ago. I’ve taken it out and cleaned and tightened it and it’s still running sweet. Don’t let it put you off.

Wasn’t the fattie the same as a 29er but with 650b 3 inch tyres? Nothing else changed.

I’ve not had any issues with my bearings. I did have to sort the shock bushings out.

Tracey would be the expert to ask about specialized.

matt_outandabout

Good point, I’ll summon @tracey….

tomhoward

Mine were 38mm internal. They’re gonna do interesting things to 2.3/4/5 tyres. The 3.0 ones that came with it were huge.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

The 2016 (& I think 17) ones were just the same frame and forks as the 29er but with 27.5+ wheels. I’m pretty sure they also just had the normal traverse fattie rims too which were only a 29mm internal width. The rims would take a 2.3-2.6 tyre just fine, actually much better than the 3.0” rubber specialized specced. You might find the BB ends up pretty low with a smaller tyre.

Tracey

As said above they are as near as I can tell a 29er frame and fork fitted with 650b+ wheels and tyres. 38mm internal rims on ours. The 3 inch Purgatory is massive compared to the 2.8 Butcher

Never had a problem with the any of the PF 30 BBs or with any of the bearings and wouldn’t be put of buying one which had them in.

When running in 650B+ mode the bottom bracket is a tad lower.

Any other info you need just let me know

We run a couple of Turbo Levos in both modes and the preference varies on who is riding them.

Out of interest what size and model are you looking at and price range as we have a couple of medium full bikes that are specked up quite well and have had little use and also a frame that will be up for sale once we get round to it.
    Enduro and Stumpjumpers

matt_outandabout

We’ve up to £1k and need large, the boy is outgrowing his medium Norco.

It’s got new Halo Vapour 35 rear and 2.4’s on already.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/618232638716367/

Don’t none of you get in there before I do…

Tracey

Looks like its in good nick and price isn’t too bad.

If it was me I’d visit with your son and cash and be looking for a bit of a discount. If I was selling it to your son and needed the room it would be less. I know what I’ve sold for where kids are involved.

matt_outandabout

I agree – it’s a 750/800 bike, not the full 900.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

Compared to current frames, the spesh stumpys and enduros of that era are very short in the reach. Just something to consider if your goal is to size up. If your lad is going to be pushing 6ft any time soon I’d definitely have a look at some geometry charts as the reach might not be that much more than many mediums. If I remember correctly, my old enduro (2014-16 frame model) was 445mm reach. Most medium frames these days are longer than that.

damascus
    Free Member

6ft3 on an xl 2016 stumpy with 50mm stem and Riser bars.

matt_outandabout

If your lad is going to be pushing 6ft any time soon I’d definitely have a look at some geometry charts

It’s not *too* bad, my Large Marin that he fits is 2mm difference.

matt_outandabout

Well, we collect it tomorrow. 😎

Tracey

Hope you got a good deal on it

matt_outandabout

£800, not bad.

A happy boy now 😎🚲

damascus
    Free Member

Picture? Preferably while he’s giving it beans!

matt_outandabout

We will today, off to Comrie.

matt_outandabout

Youngest_oab out ripping on his fresh ride. 😎

null

null

matt_outandabout

For the record – the rims on this 2016 model are 28mm internal, same front as a 29er Stumpy, different boost back end, giving lower BB and slightly longer back end, travel is 135mm rear 150mm front. We have 2.4 Der Baron’s on and they are nicely rounded still.

damascus
    Free Member

👍

Tracey

Looks like he’s enjoying it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Specialized 6fattie – talk to me’ is closed to new replies.