Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Specialized 2FO Clips
  • AlexSimon

Just about to pick up a pair of these.
    Thought I should just get a sanity-check to see if anyone hates them.
    They fit great (or at least the flat versions I tried did), but I worry slightly about the very solid rubber sole (and only a square inch of rough tread) and maybe a tad about the exposed laces.

Any thoughts!?

rollodes
    Free Member

They are really nice. Shrug off dirt. grip is fine, though if clambering up a steep muddy slope you will slip more than with XC shoes.

ton

I bought a pair last week. they are for sale this week.
    reasons, they are suicidal on wet grass or muddy surfaces. they are not waterproof at all, water pisses in the mesh front, they are very stiff, and not as grippy as 5/10’s. they made my feet ache after wearing them for a 25 mile ride on sunday.

stefanp

I like my ones, but then I dont have anything to compare to. They are grippy enough. They are slippy but then most things are when you are *trying* to climb up steep banks. They let water in quick, but then they dry quick as well (I tend to wear sealskins anyway). The exposed laces can be tucked into an elastic retainer thing which is pretty good. No issues with them so far!

shredder
    Free Member

Yep like mine too as above grippy enough dont expect them to be waterproof fit well.
    Have had various 5ten clip shoes before and these are way better the big one being they dont look like a barge attached to your feet.

AlexSimon

Hmmm – some mixed thoughts there.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I’ll be sure to examine closely before purchase.

I still don’t really know why companies can’t use a grippy rubber. I know it will wear quickly (I remember whole knobs wrenching off the original 1990 Shimano SPDs), but surely there are ways around it.

SirHC

I bought a pair last week. they are for sale this week.
    reasons, they are suicidal on wet grass or muddy surfaces. they are not waterproof at all, water pisses in the mesh front, they are very stiff, and not as grippy as 5/10’s. they made my feet ache after wearing them for a 25 mile ride on sunday.

-A flat shoe is never going to be grippy on mud/grass, my Five Ten Vxi’s are just as bad for this.
    -Ventilation vs waterproofness, they arn’t a winter shoe and as StefanP mentions, they dry out much quicker than a 5.10 (read much much much faster)
    -Mine were initially quite stiff for the first few rides, they have softened up a fair amount.
    -Did you get your feet measurmed? I have flat feet and the first ride I had the stock insoles (medium arch support), I had my feet measured at Leisurelakes, low arch support fitted, much much more comfy now)

I’m pretty impressed with mine, lighter/better made/more waterproof/more comfortable/better fit than the 5.10 vxi’s I have.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Very nearly bought a pair last week but found another pair of AM45s for £35 so put off the purchase for now.

From a brief test and from friends who use them basically 2FO clips are a good, light weight summer shoe, 2FO flats don’t work so well for some reason.

MSP

I am thinking of going for a pair of these, would have prefered a pair of maltese falcon LT’s but they don’t make them in my size.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de/de/five-ten-maltese-falcon-lt-clipless-mtb-schuhe-2015/rp-prod118580?gs=1&gclid=CNTAwMGs5sQCFeLLtAodHD0AmA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Five ten also have the kestrel coming out soon which looks interesting. I could probably do with a couple of new pairs of MTB shoes so am likely to go for both.

Got to agree with above, none of these shoes are sold as waterproof or winter shoes.

AlexSimon

MSP – I tried on a Kestrel and found them too narrow. Same with a few 5:10s and Shimano for me.
    I’ve always got on well with Specialized shoes.

dave32
    Free Member

Looking at getting these myself,do spesh shoes come up on the small side? Had to go up a size with my shimano’s..

MSP

Varies a bit, I found the rime a bit tighter than other spesh shoes I have had in the past, these are meant to be more roomy. Generally I go up a size for shimano, and unlike Alex, found I could get away with a size smaller in five ten sam hills (but not normal impacts).

ton

I have decided to give mine a 2nd try. they are a very well made shoe to be honest, as are all specialized products.
    I have wide feet, and they fit fine. gonna wear em through the day at work and try and soften em up a bit.

continuity
    Free Member

Why do people buy flat shoes with no grip for cleated mountain biking? I don’t understand?

The only reason to have a flat shoe is to fit a flat pedal. If you have cleats, why not buy a shoe designed for cleats that will grip off the bike?

Unless you’re desperate to look like a 14 year old kid with a skateboard?

ton

Why do people buy flat shoes with no grip for cleated mountain biking? I don’t understand?

I ride flats, hence flat shoes.

continuity
    Free Member

That’s cool – but the OP is asking about flat shoes with cleats? Or are they convertible so you can swap pedal styles over a lot? (People do that…. maybe?)

Superficial
    Free Member

Why do people buy flat shoes with no grip for cleated mountain biking?

Yeah I’m with you on this really. Those 2FOs look heavy, clunky, absorbent and flexy. Proper SPD shoes are so much lighter, stiffer, secure and probably more comfortable.

SirHC

continuity – Member

The only reason to have a flat shoe is to fit a flat pedal. If you have cleats, why not buy a shoe designed for cleats that will grip off the bike?

Unless you’re desperate to look like a 14 year old kid with a skateboard?

Shoes like the A45/2F0/VXi offer a lot more protection from rock strikes than a normal spd shoe.
    If using Mallets/HT X1’s/M647 DX/XT trails, then with a flat shoe you can ride unclipped for a short length of time as there is a reasonable amount of grip.
    Some of us also dont want the stifness of an xc race and the inability to walk in them!

MSP

Laces are actually far better than ratchets and boa in my experience, for comfort and adjustment.

The amount of times I have needed a tread on my shoes to scramble up a mythical grass bank is zero. It is pretty much a non existent design requirement for me.

ton

doing 1 hour hike a bike climbs in the lakes is pretty crap in spd disco slippers.

SirHC

Superficial – Member
    Why do people buy flat shoes with no grip for cleated mountain biking?
    Yeah I’m with you on this really. Those 2FOs look heavy, clunky, absorbent and flexy. Proper SPD shoes are so much lighter, stiffer, secure and probably more comfortable.

Weight
    -2FO’s are 450g each
    -Shimano MT200 380g each
    Not a lot of difference between the two, yes an xc shoe is lighter still, but wont offer the toe/foot protection the above two do

clunky
    Compared to a typical xc spd shoe, then yes, compared to the other skate shoe spd shoes, then no, they are a much smaller profile.

absorbent
    -They are much more waterproof and less absorbant than the VXi’s I have
    -About the same as my Rimes
    -More than the comp mtb’s I have (but there really isn’t a lot of material or padding!)

flexy
    If you are riding downhill/enduro/trails/bike parks, then you dont really want a massively stiff sole, you want a bit of give to absorb the impacts. Which the 2FO’s do really well, stiff enough for pedalling though and a lot stiffer than a Vxi.

Comfort
    My 2FO’s are more compfortable than the rimes/comp mtb’s I have, all are fitted with the right foot beds.

continuity
    Free Member

Alpine XL’s at 410g offer

more protection
    slimmer profile
    better weatherproofing (including a grit collar)
    medium flex (have done hour long walks in them when mech got destroyed)
    comfort
    phenomenal grip
    better foot retention

The only downside is that they look like cycling shoes, a bit. I guess that’s a problem for some?

ton

The only downside is that they look like cycling shoes, a bit. I guess that’s a problem for some?

it is for me. I don’t want to look like a middle aged **** in lycra…ever.

MSP

more protection – nope
    slimmer profile – Nope, it looks just as clumpy to me, mayby ts just a slimmer fit
    better weatherproofing (including a grit collar) – not wanted
    medium flex (have done hour long walks in them when mech got destroyed)- neither better or worse
    comfort – what about it? again no better or worse apart from I would find the ankle cuff annoying.
    phenomenal grip – hyperbole
    better foot retention – nope

The only downside is that they look like cycling shoes, a bit. I guess that’s a problem for some?- Well image seems to be more important to you than most.

basically you just made a load of shit up.

continuity
    Free Member

Ton – hey, that’s fine – that’s a justified reason.

MSP
    Plastic glued upper vs thick leather stitched upper
    Laces open to the elements and rocks vs protective cover
    Small toe bumper vs heavy duty toe and heel bumper
    Perforated mesh in large areas vs inset mesh that can’t be damaged
    Higher ankle with protective neoprene collar vs nothing
    Similar levels of comfort (you don’t notice the cuff, you haven’t ridden them)
    Flexy vs Slightly more stiff
    Slick base vs Contragrip tread pattern (same as salomon trail shoes)
    Fabric laces vs Kevlar quicklace and ankle strap
    Heavier vs lighter
    Look like skate shoes vs look like cycling shoes

pretty sure i pulled those out of my arse. and by arse I mean I have a pair of xl’s and a pair of shimano am41’s (which these are basically a cheap, worse copy of) in my cupboard, and I’ve had a physical look at 2fo’s in evans cycles

if you think alpine xl’s or crossmax’s look ugly, then that’s fine – but at least be honest about it

AlexSimon

Well I picked them up an hour ago. Thanks for the input everyone.

They definitely aren’t heavy. Feel pretty solid and protective though.

Fitted well (slight heel lift in my smallest foot, but that was with slippery merino socks).

Shame they don’t do the grey colour they do the flats in. That would have been my choice.

Anyway – I’ll report back once I’ve had a few rides in them.
    I’m also looking to replace my racey XC shoes that I use on the CX bike, so maybe I’ll compare them both on the FS bike too.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Got a link for the sale? Been looking at these for a while but can’t bring myself to drop £90 on some 2FOs.

Tried a couple of Google searches but didn’t turn anything up, cheaper than normal.

AlexSimon

No sale – just bought from North West MTB for £5 off RRP. (So £95).
    A lot of money for sure.

My last summer shoes were bought in 2002 though!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Specialized 2FO Clips’ is closed to new replies.