Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Specialized 29er with 130mm dropout?
  • dutchdennis
    Free Member

Hi all!

I recently bought a second hand specialized stumpjumper carbon 29er as an unfinished project.
    The thing is, the rear wheel that was with it (135mm qr) doesn’t fit propperly between the dropouts i would say.
    I fitted a 130mm 27.5 wheel and this fitted great.

So my question is, did specialized make carbon 29ers with a 130mm dropout?
    I don’t feel really comfortable just forcing a 135mm wheel in there and can’t find any 130mm rear 29er wheels.

Curious about your ideas,
    Dennis

dc1988

I don’t know about what the sizing for that frame is or is meant to be but 130mm is road spacing so you could perhaps build a 29″ wheel from a road hub

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’d say either the frame is bent (it’s supposed to be carbon so doubt that) or it just needs the wheel pushing in a bit – I’ve had frames that have been too wide by at least as much as that before, splaying the frame 5 mm wouldn’t concern me.

That all being said, is it a genuine frame? It looks in markedly good nick for a frame with a qr rear which I imagine makes it
    at least 7 years old. (edit: best I can tell from Google images, it would be a 2013 model year or older work a qr, 2014 is through axle)

smallspinsized
    Free Member

It looks like a road frame so probably is 130mm spacing.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

specialized stumpjumper carbon 29er

a road frame so probably is 130mm spacing

Those two things can’t be true at the same time.

I’d suggest it being a post mount qr frame, top tube routed and by the looks of it no front mech routing pretty much rules out it being a road bike, I might be wrong mind.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Does that sticker behind the BB have a S/N on it? If so you could ring a Spesh dealer and they’ll be able to look it up for you and find out its various sizes and standards.

dutchdennis
    Free Member

It’s not a road frame as a road frame doesn’t fit mtb tyres and this frame does.

dutchdennis
    Free Member

That all being said, is it a genuine frame?

I’m not sure if it is a genuine frame, too bad specialized hasn’t got an online serial number check.

dc1988

It might still have road hub spacing even if it’s not a road frame, a lot of modern xc bikes have started using flat mount brakes which are a road standard.

cookeaa

Could it be some flavour of Hybrid or CX frame?

What else can you tell us about it?

Brake mounts? – Canti or Caliper?
    Any other features that could at least help date it? BB or Head tube size/standard?

Any model names or other stickers on it?

A couple of photos might help a bit…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It might still have road hub spacing even if it’s not a road frame,

That’s not impossible of course but, did anyone make a 130mm disc hub, 10 or more years ago?

I honestly can’t see it being road spaced.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Disc brake frames are more or less all 135mm QR when they’re QR, so there’s definitely something wrong with that frame.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Brake mounts? – Canti or Caliper?
    Any other features that could at least help date it? BB or Head tube size/standard?

From the photo I’m pretty sure:
    there’s only a post mount rear.
    Head tube is tapered.
    Can’t see ports for any internal routing.
    BB not so sure but looks like threaded as I can’t see any shoulders for a pf to press against – far from clear in the images though. (could be pf30 possibly?)

smallspinsized
    Free Member

Didn’t specialized have different mech hangers for different hub spacing? I’m only guessing but could a different hanger add an extra 5mm of width?

stevehine

Looks to me like one of these: 2012 Stumpy 29er

cookeaa

Sorry, didn’t realise there was a photo, work’s firewall must have stopped it.

IHN

That’s not impossible of course but, did anyone make a 130mm disc hub, 10 or more years ago?

Yep, MrsIHN’s Kona Super Dew of that vintage (2010 I think) has 130mm disc hubs on 700c/29er wheels.

https://99spokes.com/en-GB/bikes/kona/2010/super-dew

That is more of a flat-bar road bike though, I’d be surprised if an ‘actual mountain bike’ like a Spesh had them, when all mountain bikes for like, basically ever, have had 135mm spacing.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

@stevehine yep that looks the part, op get rid now, if you think the wheel is a puzzle just wait until your trying to figure out how the PF30 bottom bracket goes from brand new to creaky and notchy in less time than our takes to index your gears 😉

@ihn
    Well I’ll go to the foot of our stairs

cyclistm
    Free Member

That’s gotta be a copy. There are some very early 130mm/disc frames but I don’t think specialized made any

ant77
    Free Member

I’ve emailed Specialized about a Venge I saw on ebay that didn’t quite add up.
    Guy there looked at the advert, confirmed it was a fake and reported the sale.

Is there a serial number? Couldn’t hurt to email them about it.

If we’re looking 10 years ago, were they using fact11 layup or earlier version?

And, if 11r would the cables not be routed internally?

dovebiker

All MTB frames are 135mm or bigger. There were a few 130mm OLN road disc hubs about 20 years ago, a few 132.5mm frames before it normalised on 135mm for road disc. Worth checking with a Specialized dealer if this is a genuine frame?

dutchdennis
    Free Member

Thanks all for the response, its seems like i’ve got a special(ized or not) case here.

The headtube is tapered indeed.
    The bottom bracket is OSBB (Oversized bottom bracket) with a diameter of 46mm.
    This gave me a bit more info about the frame, but still couldn’t find anything about the dropout spacing.

cookeaa

Could it have been subjected to a wonky repair? Can you check the symmetry of the dropouts? (Using the old bit of string round the headtube and back method)

dutchdennis
    Free Member

@dangeourbrain

Sadly you’re right about the bottom bracket, the carbon is not in the best shape.
    Wasn’t mentioned by the seller (bought the frame sight unseen).

dutchdennis
    Free Member

@cookeaa
    I’ll have a look for that method and try.
    Because the dropout at the drive side is not as smooth as at the non drive side.
    This option did cross my mind, but i thought the rear fork and chainstay alignment wouldn’t allow for shifting the dropout 5mm.

null

cookeaa

I suppose if the hanger is the wrong one (too thick) that could add a couple of mm to the drive side as well?

If a different hanger made it more like 133mm (ish) that might put it in the ballpark perhaps.

How does the spacing/alignment measure up with the hanger removed?

Side question; did specialized ever do asymmetrical rear spacing on these frames? I know they did so some asymmetrical FSR bikes in the early 00s but I thought they’d stopped that long before 2012…

smallspinsized
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to contact the seller and see what they say.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I was going to ask what the red bits on the inside of the chain stays were but looking at the image of the BB – it’s that just top coat that’s come off or something erm, less desirable.

chestrockwell

I love my retro bikes and even they had moved away from 130mm spacing by 1990 so I imagine something’s not right here!

johnnystorm

Where did you get a 130mm 27.5″/650b wheel from? Is that also disc compatible. Is it just that you have items at extreme ends of the tolerance scales?

dutchdennis
    Free Member

@johnnystorm

I took the 27.5 wheel out of my giant hcm1 (with Panaracer GravelKing Slick to make em fit) so those are definitely 130mm. It is a disc wheel indeed (had an adapter made for the giant)

johnnystorm

Ah, OK. Just wondered if it was a 27.5 gravel/mtb wheel as opposed to a road wheel.

What a mystery!

dutchdennis
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity, i have an old 135mm thru axle mavic 29er wheel which i don’t use, could i cut a part of this thru axle and put a qr adapter on each side (mavic has these insert adapters)?
    I guess this wont work since cutting on the drive side will run the chain against the frame near the dropout and cutting on the left will affect wheel centricity?

cookeaa

I think it might be important to establish just why the Dropout width is 130mm not the expected 135.

Have you been back to the seller with to Question this?
    They might have no clue (or claim not to) but it’s certainly worth asking, I can’t imagine they never noticed that MTB hubs don’t fit in the frame.

dangeourbrain’s observation of what looks like signs of damage at the root of the chainstays above is certainly worth closer examination.

it’s (apparently) a decade old frame, there’s every chance it got squished at some stage since it was sold and repaired, potentially by someone not familiar with MTB spacing(?!??).

Personally I would be slightly nervous about this apparent problem, Carbon frames don’t just get 5mm skinnier they’re either made that way (nothing online to suggest that was the case) or they get damaged and repaired wonky…

Out of interest, how much did you pay for it?

dutchdennis
    Free Member

The seller is playing dumb and being an ahole, saying it must have happened during transport.
    I payed 400 for it, but luckily it came with a new pair of dt-swiss wheels, suntour 130mm fork, nx 11 speed groupset, mt5 brakes, dropper, and some other bits and pieces.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The seller is playing dumb and being an ahole, saying it must have happened during transport

Your transport or theirs?

If its theirs it’s their problem.

If you’re not looking at the other bits such that you see the frame as a freebie, flag a case with PP/ebay what ever is applicable, as damaged and see what they come back with.

5lab

is he suggesting that the *carbon* frame has been permanently bent during transport, despite showing no signs of fractures?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Did it come with wheels that don’t fit then?

rOcKeTdOg

It came with wheels fitted?

dutchdennis
    Free Member

The wheels it came with didn’t fit propperly, only if i forced them in there. It was a new wheel set, the 148mm adapters were also with it.
    So he must have know it didn’t fit, cause he send a photo of the frame with wheel set mounted.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.