Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • SPD’s to flats – save my shins!
  • mjsmke

Just put some flat pedals on one of my bikes to re learn how I use to ride. Been riding on SPD’s for about 20 years and last rode on flats for more than a few days about 16 years ago.

I can still bunny hop so at least have that but finding on anything bigger than a kerb the pedals are dropping away from my feet. Using wellgo mg3’s and some old five tens. On a little jump today nearly s**t myself when the bike landed before me and my leading foot nearly didnt land back on the pedal.

Other than reminding myself to drop my heels are there any other tips?

Really just doing this for shorter rides to have a little more fun and re learn some old trials skills.

joebristol

On jumps you should be driving up the ramp side of it with your feet like a manual – I’m not great at jumping but I’ve never had the pedals fall away from me.

I’d say on flats the one place I can slightly lose footing is on really rocky sections – and that’s because I’m not driving my heels down enough. I think I need to work on calf flexibility as I think that’s my issue.

Wellgos are ok – and those are nice and light – but I ditched mine a few years back once I’d tried bigger / more modern pedals.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘SPD’s to flats – save my shins!’ is closed to new replies.