Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • SPD Shoes
  • northernmatt

I’m contemplating taking a foray into the world of clipless pedals after having only ever ridden flats. I’m looking at Shimano M530 pedals but I’ve no idea what shoes to get. I’ve had a mooch about the internets and like the look of Shimano MT43 or AM45 ones. I’d prefer something that’s it’s easy to walk in hence looking at those two. Anyone got any other suggestions, budget around £50-60? I don’t want to spend too much in case I don’t get on with it.

devash
    Free Member

Good choice of pedals. I have some M530s and a set of M520’s. The M520’s are on the commuter bike now as there is definitely more leverage on the M530s. I paid £15.99 for mine with cleats included, if you look around there are some cracking deals.

I’ve got a pair of Specialized Tahoe Sport shoes which I’ve found perfect for trail riding and all-day XC big ones. Easy to walk in and comfy. They do a cheaper non-sport version which as far as I’m aware is the same but doesn’t have a Vibram rubber sole. You could pick up a pair of them within your budget.

You really need to get to a shop though and try a few pairs on. Cycling shoe size is really wacko. If you have wide feet your LBS may stock, or at least should be able to order, most Shimano shoes in a wide version.

Jamie
    Free Member

I was in the same position as you before Xmas. Used SPD-SL on the road bike, but had always used flats off-road.

I went for the M530s as I managed to get them for the same price as the M520s. I think the extra platform does help clipping in/locating the right point, but if the M520s were cheaper, I don’t think you would do any harm trying them.

As for shoes, I got some Shimano XC50N. Again, I paid nowhere near the £80 RRP, as got them in the sales, but went for those due to the weather in this country of late, as they have no vents. Will probably be too hot in summer, but dusty trails are a pipe dream at the moment 😥

In my hunt for cheaper shoes, as like you didn’t want to commit too much, and tried loads. All different brands seemed to have differing fits which was a pain, but it’s where Wiggle/CRC free returns comes in handy. If your budget is around £30-£40, then Wiggle’s DHB offerings were quite good for the price.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-m10-mountain-bike-cycling-shoe/

Easy to walk in, not too narrow and look ok in black. They also do a carbon soled version for £60-ish quid which was nice and light: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-m20c-carbon-mountain-bike-cycling-shoe/.

Other than that, if going for Shimano shoes, they do seem to size quite narrow, but you can get wider fitting version….or at least you could in some models.

ceepers

I got those dhb shoes for the same reason. Good value to try spds I think! Fine to walk in, stiff enough to work with non platform spd’s

Only negative is there’s lots of mesh so they let water and cold in easily. I’ve gone back to flats for the winter mud!

northernmatt

Water and cold shouldn’t be a problem. I usually wear sealskinz socks with my flat shoes and they keep my feet plenty warm and dry enough. I’ll have a look at the ones on Wiggle.

drlex
    Free Member

If a drier season returns, and you want a sneaker style, there are two DZR shoes on sale at always riding at pence under £50:
    jetlag pigeon
    &
    jetlag purp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘SPD Shoes’ is closed to new replies.