Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • SPD shoe recommendations for soggy weather
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

My current shoes are taking the best part of the week to dry out from my weekend’s riding so I want something either more weather resistant, quicker drying or preferably both, without going for a full winter boot.

I’m keen on the:
    Mavic Crossride XL Elite
    Shimano AM45
    Mavic Crossmax Pro H2O

Tell me the good and the bad please. I have Sealskinz

dave32
    Free Member

shimano mw81 with sealskins as socks, works a treat for me. As for drying out..little oil radiator in the kitchen that they can sit on top of when you get home, dry for the next day.

dave32
    Free Member

doh!! didn’t see the winter boot bit..

stevied
    Free Member

Mavic Scree here. Sit nicely between summer and winter boots so, maybe, kind of a autumn/spring boot

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Looks like that Scree is the same as the Crossmax Pro H20; probably just a rename. Mark (of STW fame) raved about them in the last issue.

BillOddie

AM45s are alright in the rain/coldish.

Not as good as a proper winter boot this time of the year but not a million miles away when worn with a merino sock.

stevied
    Free Member

The Scree was before the H2O IIRC but looks identical.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Tried the AM45 on and didn’t quite get on with the fit (not to mention the lace flap which I can tell would annoy me). The Crossride XL Elite (formerly the Alpine I think) are great so it looks like my feet might be Mavic-shaped. Will try the Scree/H2O ASAP; I think that could be the one to go for.

Thanks for the help so far. Any other practical advice warmly received.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m loving my Crossmax H2Os so far. Comfy, dry and warm too. Not put serious miles in them yet, though.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Tried all the models on that I mention above and the Crossmax H2Os look like the ones for me.

VanHalen

Spec 2fo`s here – dry out overnight leant up against a rad for the eve with teh innersoles out.

stevied
    Free Member

You might find them cheaper if you look for the Scree. That’s what I did..H2O’s were full price, Scree’s much cheaper

stilltortoise
    Free Member

A quick couple of minutes of Googling suggests those that do have the Scree in stock don’t have them in my size, but thanks for the tip.

djflexure

Sportpursuit have Northwave footwear on the go at present.Runs true to size .Gran Canion GTX MTB Shoes look decent.

hairylegs
    Free Member

don’t faff … just go for a winter boot. You won’t rgret it!!

AB
    Free Member

I have these: they are f#cking awesome!

Currently down to £71.49 from Evans.

Fleece-lined, Boa retention, Full taped zip under a neoprene flap. Best bike footwear I’ve ever owned. Hell, might be the best cycling related purchase I’ve made full stop. All my mates have bought them too now.

I’m 43 in road shoes, 44 in MTB shoes but had to buy a 45 in these. Most reviews have said the same.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Those of you who have a full winter boot, do you wear them year round? Ideally I can’t justify/afford multiple pairs.

simondbarnes

Those of you who have a full winter boot, do you wear them year round?

No. My feet would boil if I did. I do have more cycling shoes than normal shoes though (about twice as many pairs!)

djflexure

No, not at all. But if you want to double up you can usually pick up some lightweight Scott shoes cheap at Start Cycles. They regularly have 10% discount codes flying around too. Think I got a very serviceable set for £30. North wave Scorpius on CRC for this sort of money too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘SPD shoe recommendations for soggy weather’ is closed to new replies.