Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Spare roadie wheelset – what do I need to know?
  • kiwicraig

So I’ve been loving my new CX bike for singletrack riding, cyclocross racing and the occasional 40k road commute to work. So much so I’m thinking of ditching my road bike (which wouldn’t see use till the summer anyway) and just getting a second set of wheels. I’m currently running DT Swiss CR 1600’s (23mm internal) with 33mm Schwalbe One X CX tyres. They weigh in at 1723g according to DT.

I’m guessing the easiest options would be another set of CR1600s which would be ideal for now as I could set them up with some mud wrestlers for the CX races that are total mud fests and then when the summer arrives stick some slicks on? I’m assuming with the same cassette there’ll be minimum faff to swap? (QR front and rear)

Otherwise I could get some lightweight roadie rims? Would it be worth it? And will there be any issues with spacing or just general fit, shifting etc.. with different wheels?

TiRed

I’d get the same again if racing seriously and as you say, swap tyres.  But you can get some serious gains with lighter wheels

If not, a light pair of wheels will make a big difference. You may save about a pound overall. I like Mavic Ksyriums, but not used their disc offerings. I would also change cassettes for road. I run 11-23 on the road wheels and 12-32 on cross. With a 38T narrow wide chainring. On the road it is a bit undwrgeared but I’m a spinner and it’s not a huge issue. I coast down hills on that bike

Tryes make a huge difference.  Schwalbe Ones with latex tubes in 25c are lovely tyres for road. I’ve gone back to tubes from tubeless, but still have tubeless cross.

There will be no shifting issues.

sockpuppet

Take a look at hunt wheels – I’ll be getting the 30mm carbon aero disc as a light roadie option soon, but loads of other tempting (cheaper!) offerings too!

iainc

What happens about shifting and chain and cassette wear in these situations ? Presumably the existing drivetrain has an amount of wear, and then the new cassette has none…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Spare roadie wheelset – what do I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.