• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by cdoc.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sourdough. Starter For 10
  • bobbyspangles

Having a crack at sourdough, I’ve got my starter fermenting away merrily.

Anyone else intruiged by the magic that is sourdough?

sadexpunk
    rene59
    Free Member

Tried it, didn’t really do it for me. I prefer making and eating basic bread.

mikeyp

Yes. It’s Ace. I had to stop though as I was eating a lot of bread. Works best if your starter is always active. One proving, one baking, one eating.

shuhockey
    Free Member

I’ll just leave this here. All are well tasty.

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/my-top-3-leftover-sourdough-starter-recipes/

mariner
    Free Member

I gave up as I was becoming a slave to it. Sourdough hotels while you go on holiday ffs.

Tend to use the sponge methods now where you make a starter with yeast the night before and mix the next day, A delayed final proving in the fridge overnight then bake the next day.

The tyranny of baking – nothing like the taste of descent bread though.

shuhockey
    Free Member

I just feed mine once a week, then put it back in the fridge. Easy. I’ve also frozen some just in case.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

mine lives in the fridge and i very rarely feed it., perhaps once a month. still going strong after 3 years

pondo

Never tried it but intrigued when it popped up on th’news the other day – I shall investigate the links on here, ta. 🙂

russianbob
    Free Member

63 year old starter here from Tom Herbertt. Been cut with a couple of others too, notably Bertha’s in Bristol. Go through periods of high activity, but quite often left for month than a month between feeds. Lives in the fridge. I’ve recently been trying to make wetter doughs.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

my daughter makes much tastier bread than my wife, I suspect it is because my daughter is less obsessive about hand washing.

brant
    Free Member

Making a couple of loaves of rye/white once a week. It’s really simple and keeps well. And quite good fun.

And is slowly amortising the £160 I paid* to go on a course to learn how to do it.

*Drunk supporting of bakery crowd funding schemes. “You’ve spent £160 on four loaves of bread? WTF”

bobbyspangles

Cool. I’ve got a simple 50/50 flour water starter going, it’s bubbling nicely. I love the taste of sourdough over standard bread

wallop

I like the Herberts but isn’t using an old starter just a bit of a gimmick?

FWIW I’ve made a starter but haven’t found a simple  enough recipe to make my loaf yet 😂

myti
    Free Member

Yes we have a sourdough thread I think. Just started to move towards more wholemeal breads and they are coming out great. Also doing pittas now.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Tasty recipe here and useful if you run out of yeast.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/news/a49894/yeast-infection-sourdough-bread/

cotic853
    Free Member

I make lots of the lovely stuff. Too easy to eat though, so most of mine is for sale. Reading recipes was bewildering, but after a day course it all became clear !

Just made four to prove tonight, the kitchen will smell lovely in the morning

bobbyspangles

Thanks for that geetee, I’ll get to scraping behind my helmet

nicko74

I love sourdough, but had little luck with the starter. It bubbled away at first, but fairly quickly seemed to go into the ‘formaldehyde’ stage. I wasn’t sure what I’d done wrong, and wondered about buying some starter from etsy or wherever as an easier approach.

Thoughts/ advice?

cdoc
    Free Member

I was told that the bad smelling stage is common when beginning a starter as there is a point when bacterial growth exceeds the rate of yeast growth, until the yeast reaches a point where it makes the environment too acidic for most bacteria to reproduce, whereby the yeasts take over.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sourdough. Starter For 10’ is closed to new replies.