Viewing 10 posts - 161 through 170 (of 170 total)
  • Source for Closed Cell Foam – for Homemade Huck Norris
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Personally I found a cut down the middle – half noodle – was perfect. You’re not trying to replace the entire bloody tyre / air cushion!

At 15psi if it started off at 100% it’ll be 50%, at 25 psi it’ll be 37% of the original volume. The foam compresses because it’s closed cell.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

A bit of a resurrection post…

Anybody still got some 50mm backer road leftovers? 2-3 meters please.

Don’t need 180m reel :-/

Cheers!
    I.

the00
    Free Member

Yes, In Exeter / Sidmouth if interested.
    I need 2.2m for a 29er wheel tyre, but have 6m or more available.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

PM sent 🙂

Cheers!
    I.

malv173
    Free Member

So it’s been 10 months since I stumbled across this thread, and it’s time for a little update.

I finally ordered a two 2 metre lengths of 40mm backer rod from Dortech just before Christmas. It took a couple of months to arrive, but to be fair to Dortech they were really nice to deal with, so I would still use them again.

The rod was to go into a new rear tyre for my 25mm internal DT Swiss rims. It took me until April to finally decide on my tyre, which turned out to be an Onza Ibex 2.4, in the rather soft 45a compound. After a little measuring, and trimming to leave space around the valve, I zip-tied it in a loop and proceeded to fit the tyre and rod. I was very confident that everything had gone swimmingly, the Ibex mounted the rims magnificently. The insert didn’t seem to cause any particular problems, so  I happily put sealant in and inflated the tyre. Then I put the wheel back on the bike, looked at the tread pattern… Tyre on the wrong bloody way around! What a numpty. Happily tyre removal and replacement went well, so all was good.

Three months later and thanks to the misguided purchase of a tyre that was way too soft for the range of riding that it was to be used for, and I’ve just bought the 55a version of the Ibex (it’s a bloody good tyre). The old tyre had a couple of small items embedded in it, and it was reflected in a couple of areas on the insert, but other than those, the insert was in pretty good nick, and still felt pretty firm. It’s been used on my daily commute with pressure around 35-40psi, with no noticeable effect. It’s been used as low as 23psi for more challenging rides around Wharncliffe Woods. I tend to ride at around 25psi there now, that seems to suit my clumsy style.

I honestly feel it’s been beneficial for the more technical rides. It feels like there’s a bit more support at the slightly lower pressures I run. For the few quid I spent on it, I think it’s great.

welshfarmer

Did you see my recent thread using closed cell foam mats from Aldi. They were back in stock last week if you fancied trying a different approach.

My latest attempt at homemade rim protectors

malv173
    Free Member

@welshfarmer I have now.  They look really good.  I’ll definitely bear that approach in mind when i need to buy something again.  I’ve got one spare length of backer rod,  so I’d imagine it’ll be some time next year. Cheers!

k1100t
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection Batman! As per others earlier in the thread, anyone tried this on their gravel bike…? Specifically 700c rims (24mm inner width, 28mm outer width), running 40mm tyres.

I suppose the question is: what width of backer rod should I get…?

jlln
    Free Member

40mm to provide best sidewall support. I use mine as round – not cut in half down the middle and works great, but you’ll need to fit the backer rod real tight to the rim. Only snag with this setup is can be difficult to inject sealant, when tyre beaded to rim.

carlos
    Free Member

After fitting 40mm in a 2.4 Maxxis Aggressor on a Hope DH rim which is similar inner and outer dims, I would be tempted with the 30mm backer rod myself on a 40mm tyre.

Wrap it round the rim and where it overlaps, cut it short by 30-40mm. Push a zip tie through and close the two ends together, then cover the joint and zip tie in a wrap of Duct Tape. Where the valve is going to go, screw a 7mm drill through to allow ease of air and sealant.

Viewing 10 posts - 161 through 170 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘Source for Closed Cell Foam – for Homemade Huck Norris’ is closed to new replies.