• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Source a Fork for a gravel bike
  • ElVino

I would like to change the fork on my Orro terra gravel to get a  a bit more tyre clearance. Currently I can only fit a maximum of 32mm tyre on the front, rear can comfertably fit a 35mm probably even  a 38mm.

The fork rake is 43mm and the axle to crown is 378mm,  something with a thru axel that gets as close to those numbers as possible. Ideally carbon with mudguard eyelets.

Dont mind ordering from Chinese supplier if anyone sees this spec available. Nearest I’ve seen is Planet X London Road fork which meets the requirements except is QR not Thru axel.

Thanks in advance

damascus
    Free Member

Would you really trust a Chinese fork over a British company with British standards on a fork? 😱 Just for bolt thru?

cp

Your axle-crown length very much restricts your options unfortunately – most ”disc 700c” forks are aimed at CX and have an axle-crown more like 398 – including the London road you mention.

rone

TRP fork

rone

TRP fork

TRP cx fork

Still longer on the axel to crown.

ElVino

Yes everything seems to be in the 390-395mm bracket. London Road is the shortest at 390, what effect would this increase have to the feel of the bike?

Enve looks perfect but that is too much cash for a fork.

aP
    Free Member

Rodeo Labs Spork is pretty good, just over 390mm though. Has sensibly placed and engineered attachment possibilities too.

ton

EL VINO, mailed re brakes

Straightliner

Cempa Fairlight also has good clearance but is 398mm a/c.

ElVino

If I fit something is 17mm longer axel to crown, will it affect the bike handling adversely?

PJay
    Free Member

I just did a quick Google on 380mm carbon forks and this popped up. It looks to tick a lot of boxes for you (although no mudguard eyelets) but I’ve no idea if it’s any good.

[– Edit –] The blurb does mention mudguards.

ElVino

Pjay that looks like just the ticket!

cynic-al
    Free Member

17mm = 1 degree slacker, you might notice it but it’s not going to turn it into a barge.

£312 for a fork WTF etc

rOcKeTdOg

🙂

dovebiker

Would you really trust a Chinese fork over a British company with British standards on a fork?

Good luck finding a UK-made carbon road fork – despite what the stickers on your bike say, it’s almost certain that if it alloy or carbon then it was made in a big shed in Taiwan or China. FWIW British Standards were superceded years ago by CEN European Standards in 1996 – if there still was a BS, it would probably talk about chrome-moly steel and rod-brakes.

damascus
    Free Member

Doverbiker. If you can find a good carbon company selling direct from China then it’s fine and much cheaper (light bicycle for example) but there are too many open moulds available and so many ways to make them. Too much intellectual property theft and forgery.

Brant once wrote a post about it years ago and how it’s a mine field and a lottery. It put me off and I need some new mtb 29er rigid forks!

Every now and then we get a post of someone who has bought carbon bars from Ali express for £12 delivered and they flex or snap.

Would you buy a carbon fork from a company on ebay or Ali express you have never heard of?

At least if the carbon products from the UK (London Road fork from planet x for example) brake you have some come back.

Have you ever heard of Ali express issuing a product recall?

dovebiker

I’ve bought lots of stuff direct from China – titanium frames and fork, carbon frames and forks – it doesn’t take much research to find who the reputable suppliers are. UK bike companies have a vested interest and a certain amount of ‘disinformation’ is put out there, despite the fact that their willingness to outsource to China that was their own downfall.  I once had someone from the bike industry tell me my self-designed, Chinese-built titanium frame would result in my painful death – kind of ignoring the fact I was designing and making stuff in composites and titanium in 1990.

PJay
    Free Member

Columbus’ own website lists the a-c height at 382 (rather than 380) but hopefully that’s not too bad.

It does appear to have mudguard eyelets.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Source a Fork for a gravel bike’ is closed to new replies.