Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • soundbar control by optical
  • dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Switched out the QLED samsung for a Bravia XF90 literally just for working redbull tv.

Couple of things that the samsung had going for it through was its slick UI. (The latest update on the Sony is pretty uninspiring in comparison)
    And the samsung would control my soundbar volume over optical only connection. It knew what model it was and using the tv remotes volume button would tell me that the soundbar was the audio output and would make the soundbar louder/quieter as requested.
    The sony wont do this.
    What trickery have samsung employed to make this magic happen? as far as i can tell, this is normally an hdmi thing

batfink
    Free Member

What make is the soundbar? If you’ve only got the optical connected, then it’s probably the TVs remote operating the sounder via IR. My TV doesn’t have HDMI CEC or ARC – so thats how I control the volume, the TV remote (or the apple TV remote) controls it via IR.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Could be the Samsung figured out the ir ‘code’ but with the Phillips sound bars own remote it was sofa yoga to point it in the right place but the samsung one worked seemingly pointed anywhere.
    Sony Don’t don’t seem to have an option to set up ir blaster operation unless going full av receiver control and sticking repeaters on devices.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Pretty sure you cannot control a soundbar via optical…. So it’s IR from your remote.
    How about a programmable remote that can control everything?

Cougar

And the samsung would control my soundbar volume over optical only connection.

I highly doubt that. Dig out your old Samsung remote, I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts it’ll still control the soundbar without the TV being present.

You’ve probably coded it on your remote to operate the sound bar via infra-red and forgotten, or got lucky that it worked out of the box.

No HDMI In on your soundbar?

Cougar

ir blaster operation

Ah yes, that didn’t occur to me as I’ve never seen it on a TV. That could explain it also.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘soundbar control by optical’ is closed to new replies.